Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Souls

Franchise »

Developed by FromSoftware, these games are third-person action RPGs famous for their punishing difficulty.

How Giant Bomb's Souls renaissance made me a better person.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Unless you've been living in a cave for the last few months, you've no doubt noticed the Souls renaissance that's been happening on Giant Bomb for the last few months. By the time Vinny started on his journey to finish Dark Souls I'd already finished it but I still had the shadow of its predecessor hanging over my head.

When I first started playing Demon's Souls, way back in 2010, I wasn't really aware of what I was getting myself into. I made it five hours in, killing the Phalanx demon and the Armour Spider but getting completely stuck in the Tower of Latria. Fast forward 3 years later and I'd just beaten Dark Souls and I was feeling pretty good about myself. I started a new character in Demon's Souls and made another attempt. This time I made it further but I still hit a roadblock. I thought that was going to be the last I saw of a souls game until Dark Souls 2.

Then the Vinpocalypse happened. Vinny bent Dark Souls to his will in the most glorious and awe-inspiring ways and it gave me hope. I was going to beat Demon's Souls if it fucking killed me.

I did and it didn't. I finished the game without going insane or causing anyone any physical harm so I think I did pretty well.

Thanks Vinny, I guess.

P.S Fuck Dragon God.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

Whaaaat? Dragon God is like the Bed of Chaos of Demon's Souls, except even less confusing! Well alright, I vaguely recall there being plenty of spots where you've got to run between cover or run from oncoming fire being a bit much. And those motherfuckers at From putting a crystal gecko there too.

Anywho, did you like it?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I agree, but also everyone seems to be super helpful. It's brought out the best in the community.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@theht said:

Whaaaat? Dragon God is like the Bed of Chaos of Demon's Souls, except even less confusing! Well alright, I vaguely recall there being plenty of spots where you've got to run between cover or run from oncoming fire being a bit much. And those motherfuckers at From putting a crystal gecko there too.

Anywho, did you like it?

Yeah, I loved it. I thought some of the boss encounters were far more interesting and exciting than anything in Dark Souls.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It'll be interesting to see what they think of Dark Souls 2 when it comes out. Compared to Dark Souls not getting much attention at all except from Vinny during its release year, Dark Souls 2 will likely be in many of their top 10s if it's any good.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RonGalaxy

Dark Souls is one of those games where if I think about it too much the experience becomes an overwhelming balancing act, but when Im playing it Im in get shit done mode and just killing fools left and right. There's the widely accepted idea of what dark souls is -an esoteric brick wall of difficulty, misunderstanding and hardship- and then there's what dark souls actually is -a really well designed game with above average difficulty that poorly explains itself (perhaps due to poor language translation) and has shitty menus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.