Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Souls

Franchise »

Developed by FromSoftware, these games are third-person action RPGs famous for their punishing difficulty.

What's next for the Souls games?

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Having played Bloodborne and finished it, I find myself asking this question a lot. Bloodborne executed on a superb evolution of Souls combat, but I think we can all agree that in doing so it became focused on one kind of play style. It is less varied, but after Ds2, it is probably the shot in the arm the series needed. So, the question is what would From do next? A sequel to Bloodborne, moving further into its own territory as a game series? A return to the Souls name, perhaps a Dark Souls III? Or something completely new?

Whatever the case, I hope another one of these games get made. I'm fearful that Miyazaki may move on to something else, but I would play any new game by him. If these games live on with a different creative lead at From, that would be a little sad but understandable considering how long Miyazaki has been making Souls games. I don't see this style of game going away anytime soon, but I also don't see Miyazaki making them forever.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Miyazaki already didn't work DS2, and there's a good chance he's already done with the Souls series. That said, DS3 is inevitable, it'll just be made by the B-team again.

I'd love it if Miyazaki just kept making different takes on the Souls framework with new worlds/lore to experience.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Dark Souls III. Like most big publishers, Namco Bandai wants sequels. They're safe. I'm guessing Miyazaki will continue to make PlayStation games, which means I won't play any more of them, unfortunately.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I expect we will see DSIII in March of 2017. A BB2 in March of 2018. With the way these games sell and the hype around them, you know Namco and Sony both want sequels. They are already selling lots of copies of the upscale version of DSII. So I'm sure there will be a DSIII. Same for BB. But beyond that who knows. It depends on the quality of those two games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think the B-Team (or I guess, the Dark Team) are hard at work on Dark Souls III. As far as Miyazaki and Bloodborne go, I honestly have no idea. He doesn't seem to like doing sequels if Dark Souls II is any indication. Bloodborne may just be a one and done affair. I certainly hope not, though.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

How amazing would it be if the next thing Miyazaki did was The Vally of the Giants DLC for Demon's Souls. They make an upscale port for PS4, giving it the DSII upscale treatment, new enemies, story, items, placement etc. And add the missing arch stone. That would be amazing.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe a game that just keep killing you over and over until you finally realize that you need to have a save files from Dark Souls that has that "useless" pendant as a gift.

If any I would love a sequel to Demon's Souls more then a direct Bloodborne sequel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure a direct sequel to demons could possibly satisfy any of the people that really want it. When people talk fondly of demons' souls, I think they are kinda longing for the time when these games were totally fresh. Although the lore is pretty awesome.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Style-wise, maybe something MiddleEastern/Desert themed, Eastern Asian/Feudal Japan themed, or go full bonkers and have a futuristic robots instead of hollows themed.

As long as they make it longer than BB,

having a solid story/lore that makes sense, but not too much like Demon's Souls

a optional first person view for us King's Field fans

AND having a variety of locations that inter-connect like Dark Souls 1

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ezekiel

Style-wise, maybe something MiddleEastern/Desert themed, Eastern Asian/Feudal Japan themed, or go full bonkers and have a futuristic robots instead of hollows themed.

I would like a futuristic yet primitive fantasy. Similar to Hayao Miyazaki's The Journey of Shuna and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, meaning with rounded rather than rectangular architecture, guns and swords, and desolation mixed with extreme nature. Original life forms as well. Ash Lake reminded me of Nausicaa. I want more of that surrealism.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Humanity

@ezekiel said:

@subliminalkitteh said:

I would like a futuristic yet primitive fantasy. Similar to Hayao Miyazaki's The Journey of Shuna and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, meaning with rounded rather than rectangular architecture, guns and swords, and desolation mixed with extreme nature. Original life forms as well. Ash Lake reminded me of Nausicaa. I want more of that surrealism.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Spaceborne

That one is on me guys. Although seriously I would love to see a Souls game placed in a Gene Wolfe sort of world - a future so far ahead that the advanced civilization fell and started over, but there are remnants of past technology that people no longer understand.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ezekiel

I don't know Gene Wolfe, but that sounds pretty much like what I have in mind.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

since Miyazaki probably won't be involved, I'd go as far as to say "nothing worthwhile"

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hopefully another new IP. Part of the charm of Bloodborne was hearing whispers of where the game goes. It was cool and surprising stuff.

But they'll probably hit Dark Souls first and ratchet it up on newer hardware.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like there's more to explore with Bloodborne. In a Victorian setting they could really push with weapon designs given how industrialised that time period was. Borne and Souls have two different tones, too. Souls set in a traditional RPG setting where the player is often on a personal story of redemption and empowerment. Bloodborne's about taking care of a threat for the community. A job, rather than a quest that is thrust upon you.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Man... I hope they continue to innovate the series instead of just cash cowing it. I'm really enjoying Bloodborne at the moment with it's fresh new setting and style. I'm sure at the end I will definitely feel like a sequel will be needed for this later, but I want to see another new idea instead of just Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne 2. To be honest, I'm a bit worn out on the whole Knights, Dragons, and Castle theme from Dark Souls and I for sure never ever want to go back to the sword and shield gameplay either. Maybe they should do a magic/melee Souls game next?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a Dark Souls 3 could be a really inspired entry if they borrow a few mechanics from bloodborne and reincorporate them into a more traditional souls games. although that sounds like an extremely hard balance to strike lol

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By matatat

I was thinking about this the other day and was gonna make a thread but this is exactly what I was gonna ask.

I'm really wondering if they're gonna do like an etheral cyperpunk futuristic take. It seems like a logic progression. I imagine they would want to keep the same sorta aesthetic of people barely existing in the world anymore or have some story reason like Bloodborne where everyone is holed up indoors. Also considering From already has a pedigree for mech games it seems like something that might be up their alley. Personally it might be kinda cool to have a souls style game where you're fighting crazy AIs inhabiting giant mech bodies. Ideally they could come up with something better than what I am imagining which is like some AI that is oppressing a city.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ripelivejam

a long break and from tries something truly new, hopefully.

E: old thread is old

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.