Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

An Obsidian-developed role-playing game based on the South Park animated TV series, in which players control a new kid in the eponymous town of South Park and takes part in an epic pretend-fantasy story that threatens the entire town.

Stick of Truth needs to sell 2 million units to break even.

• 80 results
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Animasta

Hell I might buy it and I fucking hate south park more than anyone, but I'd buy it just to support Obsidian.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By the_hiro_abides

@Tylea002: I would say the boss battles are broken in Alpha Protocol. If you haven't spent enough points in a gun skill the first boss fight can be really grueling. At least it was for me but I was playing as the recruit class and was almost entirely spec'ed for stealth.

Now that I think about it the boss fights are similar to Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By Phatmac

I don't think it'll hit 2 million.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Twiggy199

I think....Job done. they'll smash it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not sure whether I'll buy it yet or not.

Though I do think the game can sell two million units, South Park is a big license, and I think they could have aimed higher than that, but they are playing somewhat safe.

I guess they just need to get the word out to people who aren't necessarily playing / or following video games.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Jimbo

Low-cost AAA title. 2 million units to break even. Right.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Jimbo
    @CenturionCajun said:
    Just to throw my two cents in Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning didn't fail. 1.7 million is pretty good for an unknown franchise. Like was said on the Bombcast EA was ready to sign for Reckoning 2. What failed was 38 Studios finances. They were spending millions a month on an MMO they never showed to anyone.
    Everybody lost their jobs and the company filed for bankruptcy. By what metric was Amalur a success?
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Tylea002 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

I'm a little bit into both NV and Alpha Protocol, and it does not have broken gameplay. AP has odd gameplay, but not broken. The odd gameplay actually forces me to use stealth in ways I hadn't considered - it's very gamey, and it's very dice-rolly but, it's not broken. I'm really enjoying it so far.

when an RPG offers many, many paths and methods of play and only one is actually viable to complete the game, I'll go ahead and call that pretty damn broken.

That's great because, AP was competently viable with almost all of it's paths and methods of play. As long as you sink points into any particular skill it became a viable playstyle. I played through it stealthily, with pistols, with melee only, non lethal, guns blazing with shotguns and assault rifles or with traps and grenades, without any issues. Mix and match a few to your hearts content.

@Tylea002: BTW, there are no actual diceroll (random) systems in AP, beyond gun bullet spread which is standard to all shooters, the spread is simply greater then what people are used to from FPS games (but gets actually smaller then normal in FPS at high levels, to pinpoint levels). The game simply reduces the spread and the reticule as you get better in the skill. There is only a single actual difference in shooting mechanics in AP compared to say BF3/CoD or others which is the first bullet/shot mechanic, whereas in most shooters the first bullet from a gun is always dead on in AP the first bullet is like any other and adheres to spread variance; hence the dicerolly feeling some people get.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Seedofpower

@Bourbon_Warrior: I believe it would be like FF from what I saw. I don't mind that too much and I can see a downloadable game breaking 2 million due to it's low bar of entry on price.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By frankfartmouth

I don't think it will be too hard for them get there. Won't matter much whether the game sucks or not. 50 Cent: Bulletproof sold around 2 million and it was a piece of crap with a weaker brand.

GreatMadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By GreatMadness

@Jimbo said:

@CenturionCajun said:
    Just to throw my two cents in Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning didn't fail. 1.7 million is pretty good for an unknown franchise. Like was said on the Bombcast EA was ready to sign for Reckoning 2. What failed was 38 Studios finances. They were spending millions a month on an MMO they never showed to anyone.
    Everybody lost their jobs and the company filed for bankruptcy. By what metric was Amalur a success?

By the metric that was just said. They apparently sold 1.7 million units and I assume turned a profit for EA and Big Huge Games (I can't find actual global sales figures so for the sake of argument we'll say it's correct.) The problem is that Big Huge Games' parent company 38 Studios was pissing money down the drain trying to make Copernicus, and if they did make a profit they promptly sank it into their US taxpayer-funded money hole.

So, to reiterate. Reckoning could well have been a success. Curt Schilling and his MMO were not. To put it another way, if Coca-Cola the company used all its profits to buy the moon and went bankrupt Coke the beverage would still have been successful and profitable.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62  Edited By Cincaid

Wait a second...this game is retail? How the hell did I miss that information? Probably me just counting on it being a downloadable title.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Klei

2M unit for an arcade title is very only reserved to the greatest of them all. I doubt South Park will rank along Fez, Braid and Limbo.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Tennmuerti

@adam1808 said:

Wonder how Tenorman's revenge sold despite being terrible

Literally on the first page of the topic.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#65  Edited By Kidavenger

@Oldirtybearon said:

Same goes for Uncharted. Despite everyone on the Internet loving that series to bits, it never moved that many units.

Wikipedia seems to think the Uncharted series sold 17 million copies, that's pretty good, the only console exclusive series to best that would be Halo and not many other series get anywhere near those numbers.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Jimbo
    @GreatMadness said:

@Jimbo said:

@CenturionCajun said:

By the metric that was just said. They apparently sold 1.7 million units and I assume turned a profit for EA and Big Huge Games (I can't find actual global sales figures so for the sake of argument we'll say it's correct.) The problem is that Big Huge Games' parent company 38 Studios was pissing money down the drain trying to make Copernicus, and if they did make a profit they promptly sank it into their US taxpayer-funded money hole.

So, to reiterate. Reckoning could well have been a success. Curt Schilling and his MMO were not. To put it another way, if Coca-Cola the company used all its profits to buy the moon and went bankrupt Coke the beverage would still have been successful and profitable.

Not if the whole point in the Coca Cola brand was to support the Moon venture until such a time as they could start monetising the Moon (this is the best analogy ever btw).  That was Amalur's role in the business plan, and the plan failed when Amalur underperformed (I would certainly hope that it underperformed, because the alternative is that nobody over there owns a calculator).

Schilling claims it sold 1.2 million copies.  I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Amalur was profitable in its own right.  It clearly wasn't successful at funding the development of the other game.
    Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Klei said:

2M unit for an arcade title is very only reserved to the greatest of them all. I doubt South Park will rank along Fez, Braid and Limbo.

It's retail, not arcade.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By Milkman
    @Klei

It's a retail game.
    OleMarthin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By OleMarthin

i know me and most of my friends who play games are planing on picking it up. game looks cool, hopefully it will do well

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

I'm sure it'll do fine but I know I won't be getting it. I lost interest in South Park years ago and I don't think it's that funny anymore.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@iAmJohn said:

No pressure, guys!

Seriously though, if 2 million is your break-even point, you must be doing something seriously fucking wrong.

Huh? You have any idea how expensive the South Park license is? This is a tentpole game for THQ so they would've payed a ton to secure that license.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Oldirtybearon said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@Demoskinos said:

I dont see this being too big a deal. Comedy central plugs the game during nee episodes of south park and profits. I don't see how this can potentially fail.

What if instead of that they make a whole episode of South Park using the game tech somehow... Like a 24 minute game trailer or something. Crazy, I know. But that would be cool, no?

It would be cool, except nobody would be able to tell the difference from the game or the show, considering they've spent a lot of time making sure the game looks 1:1 with the show.

Doubt it took them much time at all actually, considering South Park is made in 3D Maya to begin with, they would just need to optimize and bring the assets into a game engine.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By Klei

@Milkman said:

@Klei

It's a retail game.

Oh shi my bad. To me it really looked like an arcade title, which says much about its quality haha.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#74  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I like Obsidian, despite them being the clean-up crew for everyone else's IP and despite them never having released a game that wasn't broken/unfinished in some capacity. I also still like South Park, ostensibly. But honestly. I couldn't care less about this game and do not see myself paying $60 for it.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jimmi

@TentPole said:

@Dagbiker said:

I know it isnt just me, but I hate all South Park everything.

You either judge things by their cover or have shitty taste. Because if you don't like something I like, then there must be something wrong with you.

I'm with that other dude. The show just irritates me. It's dumb.

Sure, it's culturally relevant and occasionally witty, but is that all you ask for in your television shows?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By TentPole

@Jimmi said:

@TentPole said:

@Dagbiker said:

You either judge things by their cover or have shitty taste. Because if you don't like something I like, then there must be something wrong with you.

Sure, it's culturally relevant and occasionally witty, but is that all you ask for in your television shows?

Dumb and witty, you say?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#77  Edited By grilledcheez

I'm buying it

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#78  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Danteveli said:

I dont think South Park is popular enough to carry 2 million sold. They can hope the quality be there. I'm interested in the product but I wont buy it blindly.

600K views? Not bad. Hell, I'm interested in this and I'm not that big of a South Park fan.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jimmi

@TentPole said:

@Jimmi said:

@TentPole said:

@Dagbiker said:

Dumb and witty, you say?

Yes. It is dumb, but can occasionally be witty. Problem?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Seedofpower: This is a full price game no? If this is like PS1 era JRPG's im keen!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.