Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spec Ops: The Line

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 26, 2012

Spec Ops: The Line is a narrative-driven modern military third-person shooter set in Dubai during the aftermath of a series of destructive sandstorms.

Are You Buying Spec-Ops: The Line?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

I'm interested in seeing how the game unfolds. It doe's look generic but it looks like it might turnout good. I'll wait and see if the game gets decent review scores before buying.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

#2  Edited By Savage

The more it's like Apocalypse Now and the less it's like Call of Duty, the more I want to buy it.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tim_the_corsair

The piece by @Alex on it a while back definitely piqued my interest.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By billyhoush

Yeah, I have been interested since I started hearing about it a year or two ago. Hope it actually comes out.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JasonR86

Nope.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By N7

It's going to be a generic shooter that doesn't sell well at all.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

Well yeah eventually...but how soon after launch depends on how it reviews.

All game purchases are contingent.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By mordukai

@Savage said:

The more it's like Apocalypse Now and the less it's like Call of Duty, the more I want to buy it.

If your a fan of Apocalypse Now then you owe it to yourself to read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

@billyhoush said:

Yeah, I have been interested since I started hearing about it a year or two ago. Hope it actually comes out.

I agree. I really hope this game will pull off what it's setting itself to do.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hopeful for it. I'll buy it as long as the general consensus is that's it's pretty good. The setting and themes are interesting.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pezen

Alex writeup on it made it seem interesting, I'm not convinced either way. But I hope it can bring something new to the table, whether I like it or not.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Seems cool, but definitely a "wait and see" for me.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falserelic

From looking at this Ign preview. It seem like it might end up being a decent shooter. Though gameplay wise it doesn't try to do anything special. But still as long as the game is fun I'll check it out.

mars188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By mars188

Gamefly Rent sorry

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tsiro

It seems pretty interesting, but I probably won't get it at launch. The amount that I'll want to spend will depend pretty heavily on word of mouth and reviews, so we'll see!

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SomeJerk

I'm very interested in it, because unlike Max Payne 3 I have enough HD space for this.

It's me, I'm the guy with a 2008 PC with less than 400 gigs of total storage..

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By goatmilk

Giving DNF as a preorder "bonus" was enough to deter me.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By AssInAss

I already did for $37.50 from GMG. I even made a thread about it :P

What I've heard about the narrative, I must play it for myself how this hellish journey goes down.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeJerk

Now that I've played the PC demo: No.

This game has been in development for over three years, maybe four or five, hype ran wild even before MW2 with detailed scenes and landscapes illustrated nicely, it sounded like a promising project that would have more than shooting to it but also a lot of exploring, seeing things in chaotic world, but it must have gone through a game development hell of tests and focus groups and upper management making it into what it is today to end up like this.

I hope T2 don't get downgraded on the stockmarket because of this game. How did a title in the works for so long end up like this, bringing nothing even remotely new to the table, instead seeming like it was hit like Syndicate in development, scrapped and remade over and over until it was comparable to a more modern title and had no soul or originality left in it.

Syndicate's got far better gameplay, action, fun, story, "onrails-scenes" judging by this demo, and it suffered the same fate, I have confirmed with people who worked on that title. Modern games bum me out too often. Christ.

/returns to playing the Jakk Games Pong Paddle console, crying into a glass of whiskey

e: Okay, apparently the multiplayer actually does bring something new to the table, several dishes worth of them, good, and it seems that the demo singleplayer maps were confirmed to be shit and poo compared to what else was on offer. It's like how the MW1 demo was an unfun brown shooter, but even from this demo I know that the actual game won't be like MW1, a fine game I'd replay on Veteran right here right now and enjoy for the 100th time.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AssInAss

@SomeJerk said:

Now that I've played the PC demo: No. This game has been in development for over three years, maybe four or five, hype ran wild even before MW2 with detailed scenes and landscapes illustrated nicely, it sounded like a promising project that would have more than shooting to it but also a lot of exploring, seeing things in chaotic world, but it must have gone through a game development hell of tests and focus groups and upper management making it into what it is today to end up like this. I hope T2 don't get downgraded on the stockmarket because of this game. How did a title in the works for so long end up like this, bringing nothing even remotely new to the table, instead seeming like it was hit like Syndicate in development, scrapped and remade over and over until it was comparable to a more modern title and had no soul or originality left in it. Syndicate's got far better gameplay, action, fun, story, "onrails-scenes" judging by this demo, and it suffered the same fate, I have confirmed with people who worked on that title. Modern games bum me out too often. Christ. /returns to playing the Jakk Games Pong Paddle console, crying into a glass of whiskey

What are you on about? lol What is T2?

The demo is the very start of the game, and other reviews have said it starts out generic macho fantasy but then gets more slow-paced and ambiguous, questioning even your shooting in-game actions later on. The environment is unique and you see interesting vistas.

All the reviews are focusing more on the story and the originality of having such an introspective look compared to other shooters; no war or disaster is at stake in Spec Ops The Line. They also say the sand gameplay is done well. No it isn't revolutionising the shooter, but that's not what it ever set out to do, so I don't see where you feel cheated by with their promises.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaggE

The title is so generic that I'm not entirely convinced that I don't already own this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AssInAss

@Zacagawea said:

@AssInAss: Take Two

Oh right, T2 is pretty damn vague. I thought another Terminator 3rd person shooter was being developed like Terminator Salvation and I'm like, "why is this guy so invested in a Terminator shooter?!".

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By falserelic

Ign gave it an 8. I'm still wondering if I should buy the game. You know what to hell with it. I'll trade in a few games I don't play no more to drop the price. Been interested playing this game. Might as well play it just to get it off my mind.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Alkaiser

@N7 said:

It's going to be a generic shooter that doesn't sell well at all.

I disagree. I think its going to be a generic shooter that sells okay like most of these games do. At least probably a million and a half if not two.

Edit: Then again, I don't know if those are decent sales numbers anymore. If the next Dead Space needs to sell 5 million just to stay solvent then I don't know how many copies they're expecting for this.

smekke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By smekke

Polygons review got me interested. http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/6/26/3117766/spec-ops-the-line-review

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LikeaSsur

@falserelic said:

Ign gave it an 8. I'm still wondering if I should buy the game. You know what to hell with it. I'll trade in a few games I don't play no more to drop the price. Been interested playing this game. Might as well play it just to get it off my mind.

IGN gives pretty much every shooter a higher score than it deserves, so I'd take that review with a grain of salt.

I might wait to see if the Giant Bomb guys do a quick look on it. I need to see a lot of gameplay before deciding, because at the end of the day, it looks like just another shooter, and we have way too many of those this generation.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By PandaBear

@LikeaSsur said:

@falserelic said:

IGN gives pretty much every shooter a higher score than it deserves, so I'd take that review with a grain of salt.

I might wait to see if the Giant Bomb guys do a quick look on it. I need to see a lot of gameplay before deciding, because at the end of the day, it looks like just another shooter, and we have way too many of those this generation.

The IGN review said it's six hours long. I hate to do the money vs time thing, but if you take the American price of $60 is this game worth $10 an hour? Here in Australia it'll be closer to $80-90 ... is it worth $15 an hour? Probably not. Years of development delays for a six hour game and what looks like a piece of shit multiplayer ... forget it. I want to play it, but I want a solid 12 hour game minimum. For the record I'm totally against padding, I mean Skyward Sword could have cut about 10 hours and been better for it IMHO, but am I meant to believe they couldn't find anything more to do in this whole game? I'll wait for the price drop thanks.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By laserbolts

It doesn't appear to be worth a full $60 so I will pass. If I see it for cheap down the road i'll consider picking it up.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Samael2138

Yeah, although I keep hearing comparisons to Heart of Darkness, which sounds awesome, I can't justify $50 for six hours of game. Especially since the multi player looks rather lame. I'm sure I'll buy it off of Steam when its a daily deal in a few months for $15-$20, but until then I'll pass.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By billyhoush

I did a horrible thing and traded in some old crap games to gamestop. I decided to buy The Line cause they had some promo where you get 30% more trade in value towards the game. I got the game for $34 which is about how much I would be wiling to pay.

I'm only 10% through the game and I'm really enjoying it. The shooting is satisfying and the story has me hooked. With all these spoiler ridden threads popping up that want to discuss the intense ending has made me want to pull an all nighter to beat it and see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.