Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spec Ops: The Line

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 26, 2012

Spec Ops: The Line is a narrative-driven modern military third-person shooter set in Dubai during the aftermath of a series of destructive sandstorms.

Demo Impression.

• 75 results
    billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By billyhoush

@mordukai: First Vietnam War by The Black Angels (I googled a bit of the lyrics)

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By falserelic

I enjoyed the demo. If the campaign is long and decent. I'll probably buy the game when its released.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By Phatmac

I tried it out and man I'm gonna pass it. Running around during combat is horrid. Feels like the guy takes one extra unnecessary step while running. I'm turned off by combat and I bet that the story won't impress many. Seems like a dud so far. Still, I hope I'm wrong.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By mordukai

@Tru3_Blu3: Actually you can command your team mates to revive the other. When they are down you hold down R2/RB and highlight the fallen team mate and then release the button.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By notdavid

Lack of bullet sponges = buy. Plus, some of the dialog from the beginning makes the characters seem kind of sort of likable. I like likable characters, hence the designation.

EDIT: Just remembered the two guys on the stairs. I actually felt a little bit of remorse after shooting those dudes. If the writing stays that good, it's a definite buy. I don't play enough shooters to be able to even recognize if the gameplay's subpar.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Pezen

After reading there is no co-op, I am not sure where this game would fit for me. The vibe I got from it made it feel like something I would enjoy blasting through with my brother but seeing as there is no such option, it really comes down to whether or not that story is worth anything. I did like some of the jokes between the guys. The gameplay was functional enough.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Live2bRighteous

I never saw swearing as a con.... more of a plus haha. I'll admit though, if I were even going to consider getting this game... it would be for the multiplayer. I feel like there needs to be more TPS's in general, especially on the PC.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mordukai

@Pezen said:

After reading there is no co-op, I am not sure where this game would fit for me. The vibe I got from it made it feel like something I would enjoy blasting through with my brother but seeing as there is no such option, it really comes down to whether or not that story is worth anything. I did like some of the jokes between the guys. The gameplay was functional enough.

You know I wondered the same thing but then I realized that maybe it's because that there's certain story elements with your team mate. Maybe if the game sells enough then they would patch in a coop mode.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Shookems

What a snooze fest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I played this demo at PAX East. It has potential, but really, just rental material. Loved the use of the Black Angels though.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By thomasnash

I actually really liked it. Like others have said, it is fairly generic, but I guess the fact that I've been playing mostly RPGs for a long time made me thing that actually I could go for a bit of Gears action.

On the cover system; it actually made a lot of sense to me once I understood why they'd done it that way. I feel like it keeps you moving without stopping briefly at every object you vault over like in gears, and means you don't get a situation where you accidentally vault over cover into the line of fire (like I found happening all the time in ME3).

Shooting felt...I dunno. I felt like the animations for enemies when they get hit, and the fact they aren't bullet sponges, made the shooting feel weighty and meaningful, powerful feeling guns etc. But that wasn't really backed up by just the feel of shooting the guns themselves, if you know what I mean. The only exception to this was the shotgun which felt almost too powerful, cutting down three dudes at a time close range is super satisfying though.

I liked the slow-mo stuff for headshots. It makes chaining them together really satisfying.

Never had any problems with my squad mates. In fact, occasionally felt they were a bit too good at clearing out dudes before I really got involved. Not often though. Would have liked to maybe have a little bit more control over them (mass effect style) but they were effective enough.

Enemy AI could have been better, particularly the bit where they are all running up the stairs; they're so hell bent on getting to cover that they just let themselves get mowed down. It's a bit silly. Also they never seemed to make much effort to get away from grenades.

The grenade throwing was a little finicky?

The quasi stealth moments were really enjoyable.

But I do sort of agree that the game is going to live or die by its story. I feel like the story stuff we saw was a bit garbled and I'd want to see how well it was paced in the full game. All the allusions to Heart of Darkness are interesting but I didn't see anything in the game that made me feel like drawing the comparison is a bit pretentious (I mean on their part, not on people in this thread), and doesn't seem to do much to help the story at all. I also wonder whether they'll take the opportunity to indulge in some neat inversions that the setting allows for (like Insomnia's reverse Noir I guess). Other than that though, I did think the story seemed interesting and reasonably well done. The characters were at least more likeable than their Gears/CoD equivalents (or at least, I thought). The atmosphere of the world was pretty good, but the graphics on some of the wider vistas didn't do the idea of it justice I thought, but still, the idea and look of sand covered Dubai was pretty well realised.

So I guess all this is getting at this: Enjoyed the demo, with some reservations. Probably not a day one purchase, because I'll want to hear a bit more about whether the story is as good as it feels it could be, but even if it's not I might end up getting it when the price is dropped, just as a competent shooter with a few interesting ideas.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By AngelN7

I didn't like it all that much , a lot of times the cover system didn't work for me and I was just there standing still in front of the wall or getting shot because he wasn't quick enough to go into the "grab cover" animation really annoying then there's a slow time thing that happens randomly but not for enough time to be useful I didn't understand that and I don't like the Gears things of running like a bull straight ahead animation I feel like I have no control over the guy when he sprints

Is probably too Gears-y Call of Duty-ish for me I thought the whole sand thing was going to play a big part on the gameplay but only that part at the begining but it doesn't seem like it would come constantly in the game , it does look nice and it has some decent music but I was never a fan of the Charlie-Bravo-Tango military jargon shooters I guess I was expecting something different from those early trailers.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Spitznock

I found the demo exceptionally boring. Opening your game with a turret sequence and then proceeding to make me walk around radio-chattin to Anya for 10 minutes is not how you grab my attention or interest.

I also found the controls to be lacking in responsiveness, and in some spots they make no sense (A to attach to cover, B to jump over it, but A to drop down from a heightened platform?).

The whole city in chaos amidst sporadic sandstorms as a setting is neat I suppose, but that is the single part of the game which I've seen so far that hasn't just been yet another generic military shooter (complete with no-nonsense main protagonist and accompanying free-minded companions).

I will not be picking up the full version, nor will I be renting it. There are far better uses of my time coming this month (this week even).

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By buzz_killington

I was really impressed. I think I'll check it out.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#65  Edited By cosi83

Found it very dull indeed

Ugh

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By AssInAss

@AngelN7 said:

I didn't like it all that much , a lot of times the cover system didn't work for me and I was just there standing still in front of the wall or getting shot because he wasn't quick enough to go into the "grab cover" animation really annoying then there's a slow time thing that happens randomly but not for enough time to be useful I didn't understand that and I don't like the Gears things of running like a bull straight ahead animation I feel like I have no control over the guy when he sprints

It's a slightly different control scheme, you can tap A to run and tap it again when near cover to stick to it. Or you can just hold down A and steer the guy to automatically stick to cover if it's nearby.

Once I mastered it, I preferred it to other cover shooters. Nothing beats SC: Conviction's system though.

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Icecreamjones

Definitely just seems like a middling cover-shooter. The sand/dust stuff is really pretty, though.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By Blackout62

Not a fan of the Black Angels song in the demo. How does that weight into an evaluation of the game?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Ravenlight

I played the demo on Steam this weekend and even with all the sliders jacked up to max, it looked awful and controlled just as well. I predict that SO:tL will turn out to be another Homefront: a game with great potential that's completely squandered.

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By wordfalling

@Ravenlight said:

I played the demo on Steam this weekend and even with all the sliders jacked up to max, it looked awful and controlled just as well. I predict that SO:tL will turn out to be another Homefront: a game with great potential that's completely squandered.

I did the same and have to agree. There are some good ideas that lack execution and the basics are a bit off.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By SharkEthic

This game will be a giant piece of average. With sand-tech.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72  Edited By PandaBear

Just to give this forum post a bit of a bump --- after another play-through I'm more convinced this game could be something worth playing. I think I was in the wrong mindset initially ... it's a slower game then most cover-based shooters are. If you take your time with it it actually feels pretty fun ... and graphically I'm really liking it. Not ground-breaking or anything, but I think I'll probably end up like this as much as Gears of War 3 (more than 2 at the very least... piece of crap) single-player. Multiplayer will be a total non-event and will probably wind up being a waste of the developer's resources

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#73  Edited By MrSlapHappy

I was going to post a thread about this game but this seems to be the conversation that would have arisen so I will comment here instead...

The lead up to this and the excitement that the bomb squad seem to show for this game had me expecting something kind of special. Perhaps this is not targeted at me, but I just didn't enjoy the demo, the word generic has been floated a few times and thats what it felt like to me. Shooting dudes felt alright, the guns sounded pretty good and I liked the setting...but that was about it.

Also, I struggled with the team commands, telling my dudes to shoot guys worked fine, but it seemed like the stun grenade was context sensitive and that was kind of disappointing. The other big thing that just blew me away with its strangeness was the bit where you jump on the zip line and have the camera locked on your character's ass while you watch him slide down the rope. Why not let me look around at this cool environment of sandy high rise buildings? Anyways, thats my two sense, sorry to be a downer but I am genuinely confused by this game.

step2ice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By step2ice

@artgarcrunkle said:

Another gritty modern military corridor shooter.

Add railroad gameplay to it. Man just after the intro. Helicopters that take 1000 bullets from a chaingun with unlimited ammo, and you're glued to that thing.

What's wrong with game design these days!?

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I liked it but will probably wait for a price drop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.