Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spec Ops: The Line

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 26, 2012

Spec Ops: The Line is a narrative-driven modern military third-person shooter set in Dubai during the aftermath of a series of destructive sandstorms.

So, this game is really intense.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

I'm not really interested in giving away spoilers or details, but I will say, some of the things in this game are truly horrific, and the decline of the squad is imminent, yet very subtle. Uh... I haven't really played a game that made me feel the way I do playing this. It's not really enjoyable, but it is compelling and dark in a way that is... it feels very... real. The story feels like a mindfuck in the sense that it's so real, that it can't be real, if that makes sense.

I just... yeah.

EDIT: I will say though, the story is devious. It doesn't pose where, "the line," is and let you know when you're about to cross it. You've already crossed the line and you didn't even know it, and it... yeah.

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By begilerath

The more I hear the more I want to play this game. Yes, apparently is short but It seems like is really doing interesting things story-wise...and is 38 USD on Steam (I'm from Chile so I don't know if it has the same price elsewhere) so is not like is going to cost me that much money...hmm

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I'm excited to get the game. I'm glad there is something with the weight of war and what it's like to kill people, then just grinding things down and shooting a lot of dudes.  

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

*throws up hands* FUCK IT! I'm gonna pick this up after work. Played the demo and liked what I played. If the story is really as devious as everyone is saying it is then I have to experience this.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By AuthenticM

I am playing this game this summer.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

Saw an interview with the writer on IGN's Start channel and he sold me on the game. He also worked on The Darkness II, which I thought had a ton of awesome writing. Even if the gameplay isn't amazing, seems like it's still worth experiencing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By musubi

This line from IGN's review pretty much sold me: "For the first time, a game with guns doesn't want you to be the hero -- it's wants you to feel terrible about trying to be one."

BLKZOMBIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BLKZOMBIE

Damn it...it's my birthday...no presents(I opened them all early).....this is looking more and more like a purchase.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By senorfuzzeh

Really tempted to go pick up this game, even though I am not in the mood for a third person shooter at all..

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By falserelic

I got to play it to get it out of my mind. I got to know and experience the heart felt war. My user pic says it all.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#11  Edited By beard_of_zeus

I'm glad the story aspects of this game are as interesting as the previews of it made them out to be. Too bad that the rest of the game seems pretty bland. I definitely want to play through this at some point, though; just not at full price.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm still not sure whether I should get it now or later... The gameplay and all is fine, but nothing spectacular. But the story sounds like it is really interesting, and is doing something that we don't see too many games doing.

Purpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Purpz

The more I hear about this games story makes it seem cooler and cooler; But at the same time makes everything else apart from the story seem more and more generic..

Lovefilm, I CHOOSE YOU!

kylekrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By kylekrane

This game sounds compelling in the same way that Enter The Void was; I never want to watch that movie again, but I am glad I saw it.

Gonna have to pick this one up.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Hmmmmmm

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By napalm

@Bobby_The_Great said:

I'm excited to get the game. I'm glad there is something with the weight of war and what it's like to kill people, then just grinding things down and shooting a lot of dudes.

To be fair, you do shoot a lot of guys. It's just questionable if they're on your side or not.

@senorfuzzeh said:

Really tempted to go pick up this game, even though I am not in the mood for a third person shooter at all..

@beard_of_zeus said:

I'm glad the story aspects of this game are as interesting as the previews of it made them out to be. Too bad that the rest of the game seems pretty bland. I definitely want to play through this at some point, though; just not at full price.

@Village_Guy said:

I'm still not sure whether I should get it now or later... The gameplay and all is fine, but nothing spectacular. But the story sounds like it is really interesting, and is doing something that we don't see too many games doing.

@Purpz said:

The more I hear about this games story makes it seem cooler and cooler; But at the same time makes everything else apart from the story seem more and more generic..

Lovefilm, I CHOOSE YOU!

Don't be fooled. The game is still a very standard third-person shooter. The story hooks that link into the gameplay are the executions and the audio cues you give to your squad. At the beginning, Walker will say, "Cover me, reloading!" But towards the end of the game, it just turns into him grunting and yelling, "I'M FUCKING OUT!" And he's basically screaming like a maniac every time he kills a guy, and when he gets shot or clipped. It's like a never-ending horror story where your character has lost his damn mind.

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Fisco

The conflicting posts about this game is making me want to try it out so badly. Normally I can tell from reviewers I trust whether I'll like a game or not but this one has been so back and forth between everybody, professional or not. It's such a weird situation this game seems to be in and I want it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Fuck, you guys. I sort of want this game now. Stop it. I didn't even like the demo!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Napalm said:

I'm not really interested in giving away spoilers or details, but I will say, some of the things in this game are truly horrific, and the decline of the squad is imminent, yet very subtle. Uh... I haven't really played a game that made me feel the way I do playing this. It's not really enjoyable, but it is compelling and dark in a way that is... it feels very... real. The story feels like a mindfuck in the sense that it's so real, that it can't be real, if that makes sense.

I just... yeah.

EDIT: I will say though, the story is devious. It doesn't pose where, "the line," is and let you know when you're about to cross it. You've already crossed the line and you didn't even know it, and it... yeah.

Oh fuck you. You just cost me sixty bucks dude.

If this game sucks I'll passive aggressively PM you several times. >=(

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nals

Let me put it this way.

Later in the game, you find The Line. And are given an option on what to do.

The game played my emotions so well before the Line, that I chose to cross it, and only afterwards, after I had a chance to sit down and think about what I did, did I realize what a horrible person I was.

I ended up having to go drinking with my buddies to forget about it, and they all complained that I was being snappy.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By mosdl

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Napalm said:

I just... yeah.

Oh fuck you. You just cost me sixty bucks dude.

If this game sucks I'll passive aggressively PM you several times. >=(

It doesn't suck, the game is average gameplay with what seems to be a good story (I am still early in it).

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By AlexW00d

The mk. 17 in this game has the wrong size magazine and that annoys me.

But if this wasn't a mediocre looking third person shooter (I dislike third person shooters btw) I may have checked it out based on this. Maybe a steam sale.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NegativeCero

I am genuinely surprised they managed to make a game that people seem to be enjoying after being in development for so long. Guess ill be adding this to the list of games I'll get o.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By napalm

@Nals said:

Later in the game, you find The Line. And are given an option on what to do.

I don't agree with that. I never felt that except with maybe one or two decisions.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, I just finished this on PC.

God damn. The story is fantastic. It's kind of been done in film, and is a mish mash of certain things, but I don't think I've ever played a game that goes where this one does.

As a game, though, it's really short (I passed it in about 4 hours or something, and I'm no game pro or anything- i died a lot) and it's just a third person shooter. It's all about the story.

In my opinion, the ending does have a pay off. I can't say more then that, in fear anything would be a spoiler. For once, though, it's a shooter with a pretty meaningful story for me.

The load screens near the end start to fuck with you, too. If you're like me and die a lot you'll have time to notice haha

Definitely worth checking out if your into games with a compelling story, at least when it goes on sale or something (since it's really short).

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Frag_Maniac

Started and finished it yesterday/this morn, and no, it's not really just 4 hrs long. I got maybe 8hrs worth on Normal first play through, but that is total time including restarts, not game time.

Visceral battles, Decent AI, fairly good graphics, OK weapons

Dislikes:

Fruitless story felt meaningless, overly easy arcade on-rails segments, immature dialog

I admit I'm a bit biased against the Heart of Darkness themed stories that tend to spend more time with self righteous psychobabble than with a plot that actually takes a clear, sensible direction. The character you track down that's constantly taunting you is not funny and it just tends to take the maturity of the story down another notch. He's even worse than "The Jackal" from Far Cry 2. What really ruined it for me though was the decidedly occult-like ending that gives it even less direction.

I'd have preferred a clear pirate or defend the wealth and citizens of Dubai theme vs just dabbling into it and going headlong into this morality vs immorality theme, which never fleshes itself out clearly in story or the choices you have along the way. In my mind the clear plot choices should have been pirate the wealth yourself, police those doing so, or defend the civilians against looters and terrorists. There's talk of that of course, but you never really feel you're doing any of the above.

In the end this just looks to be an anarchist's view of government, military, and corporate wealth, seeing only the bad in them but no good, and in the process leaving civilians looking like mere stupid pawns that can't think for themselves. Such stories are often called "mind fucks", but I think the author is the one trying to bang the brains of gamers whom so easily side with such views. The problem I see with this thinking is that it's mere finger pointing without offering a better solution.

Ah, but anarchists are always about stirring the pot, not offering a better way. All they look to do is make you think you're being duped, wronged, used, abused. God forbid they should get diplomatic and offer a better solution to the human condition, after all, the last thing they want to be seen as is politicians, despite the reality of mankind living in chaos without social structure. When it comes right down to it, it's anarchists that want chaos, not those whom adhere to the need for government mantra.

No governments, corporations or religions are perfect, all quite flawed in fact, but there were times when lawless barbarians roamed the Earth and killed anyone that got in their way. I frankly don't see that as being better.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By JCTango

@Napalm said:

I just... yeah.

Nice.

If I remember correctly, Heart of Darkness had the same tone/vibe as well - probably not in the same degree as this game does, but it definitely has the same kind of theme going on. Check it out if you're interested in reading it, heh.

Keep in mind though, that the style of writing might not be your cup of tea - it wasn't for me - it's pretty verbose.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By murisan

It's a real surprise to me how much I like this game after the Quicklook and listening to the podcast. I got to where Jeff was in the first bit of the Quicklook in about 2 hours, and about 45 minutes after that, I was at "The Edge." I think the game just picked up from there and doesn't seem to be stopping. From the threads, it looks like it keeps it up all the way til the end.

It is a dark game, but it's realistic for the situation. I can't really remember the last shooter in which I came upon some enemies standing guard in an area and chose to hide and listen to their chatter because it was interesting... and I can't remember the last time said chatter made me feel real remorse having to dispatch them. I just wish there were more options to try to talk things out, but I guess that's not realistic in the setting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.