Spelunky 2 Death Tales (Woohoo)

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GerbilsInSpace

What are some of your memorable ways you have died in Spelunky 2?

Most recently, I've had an Axolotl stun lock me, and my only way out was to slowly move my bubbled corpse towards a conveniently placed Kali shrine. It took about 2 minutes.

No Caption Provided

I'd be upset if they were not so adorable.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

*yadda yadda* Hired Hand

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just had a axolotl ghost tag team. trying to float slowly away in a bubble isn't conducive to escaping a ghost.

I'm starting to think that axolotl is a threat.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I just found a way that I legitimately don't like, and I'd love to hear a design rationale if anyone has one:

Spiders behind the hanging rags in the first zone. The only way to deal with that is to stop and deliberately whip behind a rag to see if anything is there, which feels like it interrupts the flow of the game. Everything else happens because I didn't pay attention but this one seems like you just put your faith in the RNG and hope that the rags don't have anything behind them? it's not even like a pot which you can test for enemies safely by throwing it.

(I'll probably look back at this post in a year and laugh at myself lmao)

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bear traps. Jungle bear traps. Hidden Jungle BEAR TRAPS!

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: That's no different than off screen arrow traps, or spikes below where you can see and you didn't check before falling.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goboard: Stop shaming me, I've already shamed myself. :(

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: @goboard: I don't know what you're both talking about, I have never died by recklessly running into the range of an arrow trap. Especially not one right in view.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Nubster

Spoilers for things past World 3.

I got to the ice caves with 8 hearts, 24 bombs, and a grip of ropes. I went into the Wet Fur Caves (which have the absolute boppin'est soundtrack btw) armed with a mine, a pitcher's mitt, and a pretty good idea of what to do. I threw the mine towards the breakable ice at the far end of the room, waited two seconds, and took off after it, intending to drop down to the area below without pissing off the Yeti Queen, and leaving myself able to deal with the Yeti King at a leisurely pace.

As I ran, the explosion caused a rock to hit me in the face and send me backwards, into a yeti who then threw me down into the newly opened hole that I had created, and I watched my unconscious body slide towards the Yeti King. He froze me, I shattered on impact, and that was the end of that.

This game is extremely good.

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

PSA: Sometimes collision detection can be a bit rough

Avatar image for lonelyspacepanda
    LonelySpacePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By LonelySpacePanda

Had 25hp thanks to Kapala last night, only to find a stupid caveman defeat me by boomeranging me against the wall...over and over. The stunlock in this game is ridiculous. I hate stunlock in any game but this one is maybe one of the worst. I get the game is designed to be mean but man...

And if you think spiders behind rags are bad, get ready for bear traps completely hidden in bushes.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been hit with enough random lava drops while climbing down the drill chain in world 2 that it makes me never wanna try again.

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GerbilsInSpace

I'm in the process of getting the key to the tunnel lady, and this hurt so bad.

Loading Video...

I ended up going all the way round to find the lever, couldn't find it, so jumped into lava.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By rorie

I am trying to get further in this but MAN it's rough. I just dropped the drill in 2-1 to try and get to the special level down there and it turns out it pierced a lava pit, which just caused lava to drop down the shaft. Tried to dodge it but blew up on my way down. SO basically just what @csl316 said. Luckily I don't feel too compelled to hurry with this game.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dsjwetrwete

I'm pretty new to spelunky 1 and 2 in general but yeah the drill + lava kills me over half the time. Falling down the rope after a magma guy lands on me from above and getting bounced off this and that to death isn't fun either. The one hit kills in the game are just too much for me, especially enemies that come from almost off-screen and when other enemies aggro the shopkeeper. I also hate how the climbing gloves work now. I've made it as far as the Ice Caves and have gone back to replaying Dead Space 2.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SethMode

@dsjwetrwete: The drill has been driving me crazy because I have used it like, roughly 10 times and have died EVERY TIME because it always causes some kind of untenable lava situation (so yeah, basically what everyone else says). The only time I've actually reached the bottom is with bombs.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

No Caption Provided

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: that is an amazing photo, I'm not sure whether I'd have found it infuriating or hilarious

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you're at the final door to the boss with full health and a sizeable arsenal and about to hit the button, just go in it. Don't go for that mouse at the end of the screen. Just don't do it because some goomba off screen might blow himself up and knock you into some other explosion.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those talking about the drill, I think your best bet is to activate it right away and then just wait it out. You're guaranteed a lucky clover in Vlad's castle, so don't feel any need to rush. By then the lava should have probably flowed enough to not be so much of a problem. You'll still have to be careful for sure, and still might get unlucky, but I make it probably 9/10 times by now when I originally felt it was basically just up to fate.

My stupidest death so far was getting the furthest I've ever gotten and then ignoring a bouncer who said I was not on the list to a particular location. Turns out they were not kidding around. And then also this extremely unlucky pool shot, lol:

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummytreesap: Really similar death in that clip to what happened on my daily yesterday (right at 6-3). Turns out that in that level, those spinning balls may not be a big threat to you directly... but the chaos they can start certainly is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.