Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spelunky 2

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 15, 2020

The sequel to Spelunky.

We got a release date and a new trailer!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rorie

It's coming out in little over a month (September 15) and boy are my arms tired! There's a trailer and it looks great! It doesn't seem to vary too much from core Spelunky gameplay but also seems like it's going to add a bunch of fun stuff. I can't figure out how to embed IGN's ripped trailer but you can watch it here:

https://www.ign.com/articles/spelunky-2-release-date-announced

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By devise22

The hype I have for this game is reaching an unreal level. This looks awesome, that it's just more of the same core gameplay but added works for me considering how deep original Spelunky actually was. That it's only a month away makes me super excited.

Gotta say too; the new tilesets (or just variations on some of the existing ones) look very clean and great. It's not an entirely new art style as it shares some similarities and inspiration but I still really dig it. I'm really looking forward to when this game releases and everyone tries to figure out the secrets, what you do with certain items and the rest though. I feel like I showed up to original Spelunky late enough to know at the bare minimum what you had to do to get into hell, so being apart of the early zeitgeist of this thing should be fun.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

The original is a perfect game, and I've put in 500+ hours (as a low estimate). I don't know what to expect out of this one and that's kind of exciting. Nice to have a release date so soon since I figured we'd be waiting til the holidays.

I'll play on the PS4, but it's essential to get this thing on the Switch ASAP (Spelunky is why my Vita's still charged and on my living room table!)

Just glad they cut away before those clone pups were gonna get dropped on that altar :(

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a little annoyed to learn that this is hitting PS4 first with Steam coming "shortly after." I don't want to play this on my PS4! I want to play it on my Switch, honestly, but PC would be ideal. Or maybe they can just put it back on the Vita for the ultimate gaming experience.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

We'll need a little extra time to iron out online multiplayer on PC. Release date for that soon!

This is weird and rubs me the wrong way. The reason it's not coming out on PC or other consoles is, of course, exclusivity contracts. Saying that the reason it's not happening is time needed for the online multiplayer, and then not even stating solid plans for others consoles which it will obviously be coming to is such a strange way to tiptoe around it because he probably can't say it will definitely be coming to those consoles because, again, exclusivity. Between Destiny and Call of Duty and weird shit like Control's DLC and Spider-Man in the Avengers game and now Spelunky even being held back by Sony, they are starting to become very grating. Exclusives are one thing but locking up content, or even entire games, from other platforms is a huge wang move. Especially since a huge part of my excitement for a new Spelunky game is being a part of the zeitgeist, and discovering its insanity along with the community instead of jumping to a wiki whenever things get weird.

Anyway, game looks sick as fuck. I really like what they've done with the artstyle, it's sharp and clean without feeling flat. I'm excited to put hundreds of hours into it.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@the_nubster: Im reading that more as its still a small team (wasn't it just him who made the first one?) and they need time to get it working on other platforms.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@lego_my_eggo: He had a programmer on this first one, and the credits were definitely more than just two people. But they're showing on a Sony-branded stream. They wouldn't be here if Sony wasn't personally backing them in some way. I'm not slamming Derek and the companies involved for taking the money, everyone has bills to pay and you have to get that money where it comes. It's just annoying for Sony to be so heavy-handed in their exclusive deals.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: He had a programmer on this first one, and the credits were definitely more than just two people. But they're showing on a Sony-branded stream. They wouldn't be here if Sony wasn't personally backing them in some way. I'm not slamming Derek and the companies involved for taking the money, everyone has bills to pay and you have to get that money where it comes. It's just annoying for Sony to be so heavy-handed in their exclusive deals.

Yeah, I agree with this. I get that netcode is not super easy to do but this definitely feels like something that Sony might have strongly suggested. Which is fine if it's delayed on Switch or whatever, but delaying it on PC too just seems weird. I would prefer not to have to buy it twice, but hey, I gotta get that launch day action.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9 CyrusRaven  Online

@rorie: Totally understand that you want to play it on your preferred platform, but hey Spelunky 2 is finally coming out yay!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It's super exciting that S2 is coming soon, but also disappointing that, once again, PC is second fiddle. I hope the wait for PC isn't too long though...

Hells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.