Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spelunky

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

As a brave, but fragile adventurer, explore dangerous procedurally-generated caves to collect treasure and gain better equipment, before dying horribly and starting all over again.

Duder Explorers Club (Spelunky Daily Challenge Feb 4, 2014)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#1  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, I thought I'd make this topic today since I actually did well today :D Also, I don't do videos, but I do do screenshots:

No Caption Provided

SodiumEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SodiumEyes

So it turns out that bringing a Plasma Cannon to Olmec gets you a lot of money!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

amarriner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By amarriner

Weird seed. I didn't get any bombs after the initial 4 so it was a lean run. Almost screwed up killing the shopkeeper holding the jetpack, opened the vault in the Ice Caves with mines and beat Olmec cause there was a mattock in his chamber. Really fun run!

Loading Video...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

@amarriner: Yep, that Mattock was a lifesaver! It pretty much had the right amount of hits to dig an Olmec sized hole.

Edit: BTW, a good Olmec tactic is to dig/bomb a hole that begins 8 tiles away from the rightmost wall of the level. That way you can line Olmec up perfectly with the very edge of the level, then make him move four tiles left in order to make him neatly fit down a 4 tile wide hole. Something like this:

No Caption Provided

amarriner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Ah yeah that makes sense, thanks! I usually don't have to worry too much as there are typically plenty of bombs, but this seed was so stingy!

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Senhasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Died while trying to grab the Plasma Cannon without any bombs. Got blasted with psychic energy in that cramped little space. That Mothership layout was rough... would have been easy if I had just a single bomb, though.

No Caption Provided

SodiumEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suits: I did indeed. Don't remember where, but I remember bombs being pretty tight so I used the mattock I bought to open it.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I had a jetpack but then I landed next to an arrow trap that I knew was there and died.

jayc4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By jayc4life

I made it as far as the ice caves before goofing up on a jump I knew full well I shouldn't have taken (into the abyss). Was on 3-4 as well with just the compass and glasses, opted not to buy anything cause I figured I'd loot the Black Market, then I couldn't find the key for the chest. Bugger.

Loading Video...

jeconner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knowing this daily was a dupe of 1/8, and knowing I missed the eye on 1/8 due to a lack of bombs, I played this one trying to minimize bomb usage. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it past the shopkeeper at the end of 1-3.

Loading Video...

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taking the mattock made it harder early on, but it paid off in the end. I feel like it's usually better to take it over a shotgun. And wtf is up with some shopkeepers in the Temple not being hit by sticky bombs (at around 51 minutes).

Loading Video...

Finally caught up with your avg jeconner ;)

jeconner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suits: v nice. i've been trying to maximize score, but it usually ends up killing me early.

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Dew

I will never not buy the mattock on a daily ever again.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I unfortunately misjudged a jump and was eaten by piranhas.

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By aajf

Holy lack of bombs, Batman! Couldn't get to the chest on account of using my last bomb to reach the key, so no black market for me. Still got quite deep.

Loading Video...

Two incredibly stupid mistakes in the caves did me in. This is my highest score ever yet I'm actually disappointed in the run, which I suppose means I'm improving. Certainly my average run is getting better and better, and even when I die early I'm doing well money-wise relative to others which is encouraging.

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@aajf: nice run! I'm definitely going to start employing that tactic to rob a shopkeeper from now on. I went into the caves with 1 bomb and 1 rope and maybe some spike shoes and nothing else. It was a stingy seed without those shop items and not being able to access the black market.

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedew: Thanks! I regret some of my early bomb use but that shop was just too tasty to pass up. It's such an easy trick, so long as the entrance to the shop is open enough.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.