Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spelunky

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

As a brave, but fragile adventurer, explore dangerous procedurally-generated caves to collect treasure and gain better equipment, before dying horribly and starting all over again.

Spelunky Reviewed in the AV Club

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

The AV Club continues to surprise me with a lot of interesting, hidden games.  I'm sorta proud of myself that I discovered Spelunky before they did.

That's it.  I've died more than a thousand times, beat it three times, and still have stuff to unlock.

I've also used the person I was trying to rescue as an offensive projectile, shot down a flying saucer with a rock and then squished its parachuting pilot, and stomped on a bee-spitting mummy until it was deader than dirt.

For all the frustration this game has just as many interesting moments. I just hope the unlocking stuff won't take forever...

Speaking of frustrating, I got about 300 points in bastet, anyone beat that?

UPDATE:  Spelunky is in version .998 now, for anyone curious.  Haven't tried it yet, not sure if the install will erase the old achievements and unlocks.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

The AV Club continues to surprise me with a lot of interesting, hidden games.  I'm sorta proud of myself that I discovered Spelunky before they did.

That's it.  I've died more than a thousand times, beat it three times, and still have stuff to unlock.

I've also used the person I was trying to rescue as an offensive projectile, shot down a flying saucer with a rock and then squished its parachuting pilot, and stomped on a bee-spitting mummy until it was deader than dirt.

For all the frustration this game has just as many interesting moments. I just hope the unlocking stuff won't take forever...

Speaking of frustrating, I got about 300 points in bastet, anyone beat that?

UPDATE:  Spelunky is in version .998 now, for anyone curious.  Haven't tried it yet, not sure if the install will erase the old achievements and unlocks.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I'm still trying to wrap my head around trying Aquaria. If I died ten times, I would probably quit and look for something else to play.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By joey

I got two hundred and something points in bastet!

that game is hard...
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure

The nice thing about Spelunky, @Claude, is that it's free!! :)  And the investment of time is relatively short.  But we each have our own fun-loads (which seem to be getting as hard to deal with as workloads, sometimes).

@joey , I think my 300 was a fluke; I consider it a good game if I manage to score at all.  It puts you in this zen-like state of trying to NOT play a normal game of Tetris, but an ugly, Road Warrior survival horror style where you're just scraping by to survive.  I really think that instead of scoring lines, it should score how many blocks you fill on the screen PLUS lines.  I think that would be the only way you could judge how well someone is playing, because it's really easy to get yourself into a pattern of just piling things up to the ceiling.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nick_verissimo
    @ahoodedfigure:   Wow, i feel extremely late to this party seeing as I discovered this game exactly one year after you made this forum post.  I really have to keep ear to the ground on these free little indie projects.  Any suggestions?
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

Spelunky is a great game. Tough but there's a great sense of achievement when you finally do beat it. And yes a gamepad is the way to go with that game. Also everyone seems to forget that Spelunky is just a remake of the original (to some extent).

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @nick_verissimo: Destructoid, Play this Game, Independent Gaming Source, and a few others are good sites.  Yeah, you're a bit late :)  It depends on what kinds of games you like.  I talk about them from time to time, so you can check what I've written about to see if anything sounds good.  But since there are tons of indie games out there, it sort of depends on your taste.

@eroticfishcake:
    Sorta, in that you're in a cave platforming, but Spelunky's modular randomness and item use make it a whole different monster.  I'd say it's closer to a platforming version of Nethack for all the weird things it throws in.  Not quite as complex as Nethack, of course, but much more fun a challenge, I think.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @ahoodedfigure: Hmm. Yeah I had thought about that for minute. I think "reimagination" would be a better word for it, no? But yeah the randomness of each level really do give Spelunky a whole new dimension in terms of gameplay and difficulty. Well, it's not difficult per se but more like unforgiving. (Does that make sense?)
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @eroticfishcake: There was some arcade game that was a bit closer, with you dodging arrows flying from the walls and stuff, but it was still about memorization, while I'd argue Spelunky is more about learning the physics and rules of the system, and sort of the modules that can be put together in a given board.

Death is quick, though, and you don't feel like "damn, I have to play that level again", you just start over or let it sit for a while until you don't want to destroy it with hate beams from your mind.  I probably died literally a thousand times before I beat it, and despite some frustrating moments at times I still loved the game.
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By nick_verissimo
    @ahoodedfigure:  Ya, my problem is that I stick mostly to console gaming and whatever comes out on XBLA or PSN is where I find all my "hidden indie gems" generally.  After playing some Spelunky I'm definitely going to be looking for more of these types of games.  And I mostly stick to Giant Bomb and Joystiq for my gaming news, so I should probably differentiate where I'm getting new game news from time-to-time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.