Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 07, 2010

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions revolves around the pieces of a magical tablet, spanning four distinct dimensions and starring the Spider-Men therein.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions Impressions

JohngPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Edited By JohngPR

Here’s my initial impressions:

Graphics: The game looks great! The characters look awesome in their respective art styles and animate really well. So far the framerate has been stable, but I’m really not that far into the game. Love the look of all of them and they incorporate film grain into some of the worlds which make for a nice touch (in Amazing, it almost gives it a printed comic book page look and in Noir they add a scratched film effect when you go into spider-sense mode which is cool)

Sound: Music is pretty good although nothing spectacular at this point. Voice acting for all of the Spider-Men is great so far. Love the quips and one liners.

Spidey 2099′s voice is good although a bit more wimzy than I initially expected.

Gameplay: I honestly haven’t gotten far enough to give detailed opinions, but it plays good from what I played. You have the typical Spidey type of combat that you’ve come to expect with a few new wrinkles added.

I love that standard attacks are automatically blocked if you go into your defensive stance (LT). It just makes the combat look cool when Spidey does a bunch of dodges back and forth when people try to attack you from behind. I honestly haven’t really gotten far enough to comment further, but so far so good.

One thing I should note is that it’s kind of weird playing a Spider-Man game with actual level design. I’m so used to playing open world Spider-Man games that the level design really gives the game a different feel when compared to Spider-Man: Web of Shadows or previous Spider-man games.

Spider-Man Noir basically plays like the stealth rooms in Batman Arkham Asylum….hey if you’re going to rip stuff from a game, might as well be a great one! Still a lot of fun since it gives it a Spider-Man twist to it.  I really love the art style chosen for this universe and the boss fight in the first Noir level was a lot of fun.

I thought the first person fighting would come off as gimmicky but it really doesn’t. It feels fairly visceral and it’s a really fun little bonus while you are fighting a boss. It’s even used as a finisher at times. I loved the way the game plays around with the perspective.

One thing of note is, if you play Spider-Man games for the web slinging, you may be disappointed to hear that there’s no free roaming. Although web slinging is a necessity, it isn’t in the forefront anymore since there is no longer a city to use it in. I really don’t see this as a bad thing though because the game seems to have different strengths.

The one sour point so far is the camera system.  It’s by no means unplayable, but it can get a bit unwieldy at times.  This issue plagues all Spider-Man games.  It’s one of those things that if you want the game to let you do whatever a Spider can, you’ll have to give them some leeway considering how hard it is to track a video game character like Spider-man.  If you’ve played earlier Spider-Man games, it’s no worse than those games and doesn’t take away from the fun I’ve been having with Shattered Dimensions.

Overall: This game is pretty good so far. I don’t want to get too ahead of myself, but it’s already better than Web of Shadows as far as I’m concerned.

JohngPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JohngPR

Here’s my initial impressions:

Graphics: The game looks great! The characters look awesome in their respective art styles and animate really well. So far the framerate has been stable, but I’m really not that far into the game. Love the look of all of them and they incorporate film grain into some of the worlds which make for a nice touch (in Amazing, it almost gives it a printed comic book page look and in Noir they add a scratched film effect when you go into spider-sense mode which is cool)

Sound: Music is pretty good although nothing spectacular at this point. Voice acting for all of the Spider-Men is great so far. Love the quips and one liners.

Spidey 2099′s voice is good although a bit more wimzy than I initially expected.

Gameplay: I honestly haven’t gotten far enough to give detailed opinions, but it plays good from what I played. You have the typical Spidey type of combat that you’ve come to expect with a few new wrinkles added.

I love that standard attacks are automatically blocked if you go into your defensive stance (LT). It just makes the combat look cool when Spidey does a bunch of dodges back and forth when people try to attack you from behind. I honestly haven’t really gotten far enough to comment further, but so far so good.

One thing I should note is that it’s kind of weird playing a Spider-Man game with actual level design. I’m so used to playing open world Spider-Man games that the level design really gives the game a different feel when compared to Spider-Man: Web of Shadows or previous Spider-man games.

Spider-Man Noir basically plays like the stealth rooms in Batman Arkham Asylum….hey if you’re going to rip stuff from a game, might as well be a great one! Still a lot of fun since it gives it a Spider-Man twist to it.  I really love the art style chosen for this universe and the boss fight in the first Noir level was a lot of fun.

I thought the first person fighting would come off as gimmicky but it really doesn’t. It feels fairly visceral and it’s a really fun little bonus while you are fighting a boss. It’s even used as a finisher at times. I loved the way the game plays around with the perspective.

One thing of note is, if you play Spider-Man games for the web slinging, you may be disappointed to hear that there’s no free roaming. Although web slinging is a necessity, it isn’t in the forefront anymore since there is no longer a city to use it in. I really don’t see this as a bad thing though because the game seems to have different strengths.

The one sour point so far is the camera system.  It’s by no means unplayable, but it can get a bit unwieldy at times.  This issue plagues all Spider-Man games.  It’s one of those things that if you want the game to let you do whatever a Spider can, you’ll have to give them some leeway considering how hard it is to track a video game character like Spider-man.  If you’ve played earlier Spider-Man games, it’s no worse than those games and doesn’t take away from the fun I’ve been having with Shattered Dimensions.

Overall: This game is pretty good so far. I don’t want to get too ahead of myself, but it’s already better than Web of Shadows as far as I’m concerned.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MethodMan008

Yeah I agree..  I think the game play is the best part..   

The length is kind of a bummer... I've got 2 levels left after like 5 or 6 hours of play time... 

But atleast they do new game+ right so it has replayability. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I loved the game but the length bothered me.  I found myself replaying it all anyway though.

JohngPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JohngPR

The length hasn't bothered me a whole lot.  Then again, I love to explore every inch of the level, so they take me a long time to play through.  I'm always getting bronze metals in the "time completed" category. LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The tighter, shorter pace is maybe to the game's benefit, in my opinion. Web of Shadows, conversely, felt really strung out by the end. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it because it'd gotten so repetitive and had gone on for so long. 

JohngPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JohngPR

Yea, I agree.  I have no problem with the game's length.  I enjoy the game's overall tighter focus. 

WIth that said, I'd gladly take some DLC though. :)

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @JohngPR: How long does it take you on average to finish a level?
    Avatar image for ilovecheesepizza
    ilovecheesepizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ilovecheesepizza
    @JohngPR: I really enjoyed the Spider-Ham appearance with Madam Web after the credits.  The Mysterio fight at the end of the game was also awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.