Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 07, 2010

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions revolves around the pieces of a magical tablet, spanning four distinct dimensions and starring the Spider-Men therein.

Spidey Sense all the time

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Seraphim84

So here's my beef with this game as well as others like Batman: AA and Halo ODST.  When they give you an alternate vision mode that has arrow indicators for things out of view, color auras for the health of enemies, and collectibles that permeate their locations through walls, I'm never gonna turn it off.  But when a game such as Shattered Dimensions compels you to find as many emblems as you can, beat enemies in certain ways and bosses with specific methods, it's almost impossible for me to ever toggle the mode off!!  And I feel awful because 2099's vision blues out all the wonderful color in those worlds, Noir's makes it kinda neat with its black and white, but the monchrome it has without spider-sense on.

Does anyone else feel like making these different modes of vision isn't necessarily helping the game any?  I mean sure, it makes you feel like you're harnessing his powers (even though that's not /really/ how spidey-sense works...), but I kinda want those indicators and auras in his original vision and have that be that.  I mean it's incredibly hard to tell where those damn hostages are otherwise.  Believe me, I forgot once and tried to do it sans sense.

Thoughts?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I barely used it unless I needed to find something specific.  I was able to find hostages by flipping it on then quickly off.

Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Goldanas

I agree with you, I hate having it dull the colors like that, but they might do that intentionally so that you don't want to have it on the whole time. Allowing you to use it endlessly addresses the issue of various players of various skill levels. 

Alternative methods, such as the beacon system out of InFamous and Crackdown might offer a solution more suited to our play-style, but these games are geared at people who love spider-man, and not necessarily video games. 

In the end, just be happy they gave you the option, instead of forcing you to hunt down everything the hard way.

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By iKANNIBAL

Hmm nah i had no problems with it, i like the fact that you can turn it on and off i think it would get quite annoying having the same vision constantly on. I have no clue how it was for you but i had absolutely no trouble switching it on and off during combat.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

I did play Arkham Asylum nearly always in Detective Mode so I know what you mean.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By flaminghobo
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " I did play Arkham Asylum nearly always in Detective Mode so I know what you mean. "
    As did I. It's a real shame when developers introduce a mechanic that is extremely useful to the player but hinders another asset of the game.
    Goldanas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Goldanas
    @FlamingHobo said:
    " As did I. It's a real shame when developers introduce a mechanic that is extremely useful to the player but hinders another asset of the game. "
    The major issue with detective mode is that Batman's regular vision had absolutely no perks to it. There was nothing beneficial about it other than allowing the player to see the art direction. 

Detective let you see through walls, highlighted interactive objects and points of interest, revealed hidden objects and symbols that granted you bonuses and that you had no other way of seeing, and gave you stats on enemies. If they'd have mixed some of the benefits between the two viewing modes, they might have helped the game out a little. 

Let's see how the next one handles it.
    Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Seraphim84
    @Goldanas: 

Ykno, you just actually made me think of Shadow Complex's neat mechanic of showing the colors of doors you could destroy with X,Y, or Z when you used the flashlight.  Maybe something more directional rather than a full toggle could accomplish the same thing.

So ykno, Spider-signal is the obvious way to go here!
    Studious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Studious

I get the feeling with Detective Mode, but Shattered Dimensions didn't feel hurt at all by the use of Spider Sense. Spider Sense kind of hindered me more than it helped, I don't remember ever using it aside from when I was directed. Detective Mode was a huge boost because of hidden walls and being able to see through them, but Spider Sense I don't think you can really see through walls, and aside from Noir, you don't really need to know where enemies are like you did in Arkham, they just run at you.  Detective Mode hurt Batman because you needed it for solving puzzles, you needed it to find hidden items, you needed it to see trails, and you could see through walls and better sneak up on enemies with it. As far as I am in Shattered Dimensions I have yet to need to use it to follow a trail, find a hidden item, solve a puzzle, or better sneak up on someone. I don't think they did it right at all, they just did it wrong in a way that it is needed none of the time rather than all of the time. Developers using this mechanic need to find a balance. 

This turned out longer than I intended. 

the_shref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_shref

i had that problem with both this and batman:AA. while its a great mode, it puts so much of an emphasis on finding the collectibles that it seems at times as if it forces you to use it. theres very few times in the game so far that i've turned it off =/ i wish that both normal and the "spidey sense" modes had advantages, other than the normal one being "pretty". maybe just have it so if you're in spidey sense, its just a blank screen except for certain objects its hightlighting or just have the spidey sense automatically turn off after like 5 or 10 seconds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.