• 65 results
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
 Not exactly your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. 
I'll give some credit to Activision and developer Beenox for coming up with a way to keep Spider-Man fresh in an off year with no new movie to base a video game concept on. Last week I got to play two of the four flavors of Spidey featured in September's Shattered Dimensions, and it seemed like a decent little action game with some loose, responsive controls and a lot of visual variety. 

Activision's big announcement at Comic-Con this week is the fourth Spider-Man universe in the game, which is (drum roll) Ultimate Spider-Man. That one joins Amazing, Noir, and 2099, if you haven't been keeping up. The game's got what an Activision rep referred to as an almost Mega Man-like structure, where you're presented with a list of levels from each of the four universes and allowed to tackle them in any order.

All four dimensions will revolve around a basic, common fighting model, but each one has a different focus. Noir is all about stealth, naturally, while Ultimate puts Spidey permanently in the black suit and gives him a bunch of wide, bombastic tentacle attacks not so different from Kratos and his flaming chain weapons. I didn't get to play 2099, but...

...why not watch some footage of those anyway? I am far from an expert on comic books, so I grabbed Ryan to sit down and look at some footage from all four sections of the game. Please view the fruit of that endeavor.

It seems like Beenox is putting some effort into delivering a healthy amount of fan service with Shattered Dimensions. All four of the spider men have unique voice actors, including Christopher Daniel Barnes and Dan Galvezan, both of whom have portrayed Spidey in past animated series. And there will be a raft of familiar villains; in the Noir section I played, I was chasing after Hammerhead, played by none other than Marcus Fenix himself, John DiMaggio.

Shattered Dimensions is out in September, so we'll find out soon if the action measures up to the game's comprehensive coverage of the Spider-Man franchise. Hey, in the meantime, head over to our sister sites Comic Vine and Screened for a whole bunch of Comic-Con coverage through the end of the week.     

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
I'll give some credit to Activision and developer Beenox for coming up with a way to keep Spider-Man fresh in an off year with no new movie to base a video game concept on. Last week I got to play two of the four flavors of Spidey featured in September's Shattered Dimensions, and it seemed like a decent little action game with some loose, responsive controls and a lot of visual variety. 

Activision's big announcement at Comic-Con this week is the fourth Spider-Man universe in the game, which is (drum roll) Ultimate Spider-Man. That one joins Amazing, Noir, and 2099, if you haven't been keeping up. The game's got what an Activision rep referred to as an almost Mega Man-like structure, where you're presented with a list of levels from each of the four universes and allowed to tackle them in any order.

All four dimensions will revolve around a basic, common fighting model, but each one has a different focus. Noir is all about stealth, naturally, while Ultimate puts Spidey permanently in the black suit and gives him a bunch of wide, bombastic tentacle attacks not so different from Kratos and his flaming chain weapons. I didn't get to play 2099, but...

...why not watch some footage of those anyway? I am far from an expert on comic books, so I grabbed Ryan to sit down and look at some footage from all four sections of the game. Please view the fruit of that endeavor.

Loading Video...

It seems like Beenox is putting some effort into delivering a healthy amount of fan service with Shattered Dimensions. All four of the spider men have unique voice actors, including Christopher Daniel Barnes and Dan Galvezan, both of whom have portrayed Spidey in past animated series. And there will be a raft of familiar villains; in the Noir section I played, I was chasing after Hammerhead, played by none other than Marcus Fenix himself, John DiMaggio.

Shattered Dimensions is out in September, so we'll find out soon if the action measures up to the game's comprehensive coverage of the Spider-Man franchise. Hey, in the meantime, head over to our sister sites Comic Vine and Screened for a whole bunch of Comic-Con coverage through the end of the week.     

Avatar image for salmon_of_atlas
salmon_of_atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By salmon_of_atlas

Hope this is better than the last.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Thats not even a "Dimension" That is just a costume. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spidermanspidermanspidermanspiderman.com

Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

Actually Ultimate is a dimension

dawgpound89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dawgpound89

Man that looks sweet

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
@I_love_Eva_Braun:
But Ultimate Spider-man wore the suit for like 5 issues.....
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

I have mixed feelings about this game.

ghostNPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ghostNPC

Well... it looks... ok. Not great, but ok.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Doskias

The game looks pretty good, but I've been burned by Spider-Man before. Still, I'll keep a close eye on it.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp

Man I've been waiting long for a 2099 Spider-man game. Miguel O'Hara hell yeah, a fellow half-mexican half-irishman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Activision was too chicken shit to pull the gun on Zombie Spider-Man or Spider-Ham.  Spider-Man in a symbiote suit is such a cop out.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

My money is still on Russian Martian Batman to beat the whole lot of them.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Im looking forward to this game. Ive gone on a weird superhero overhaul at the minute. It doesnt really take much to top some of the recent spiderman games *cough* web of shadows
TheJoker138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By TheJoker138

Ultimate Spider-Mans defining characteristic is definitely not the black suit.  What a weird choice.

ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ninjadude853

i don't get why there using ultimate spidey with the suit, he barely ever wore it at all, they should have gone with the spider from earth-15, who wears the carnage suit

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#17  Edited By Dimsey

No Zomie Universe? No 1602? They go with Ultimate Spidey? I'm disapointed.
Nothing against Ultimate Spiderman but would've been interesting to go with something a bit more out there.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By spacetrucking

Brad, did you get to see the combat with Noir Spiderman ? What made Batman awesome was that the game was equally fun when you were not in stealth. It gave you this sense of confidence that you could take on anything in a straight up fight and stealth was not a necessity. Also, was that Nolan North as Deadpool ? Or Nolan North as Spiderman ? This is one game where I can imagine Nolan North as everything!

The rest of the game is straight up ripping everything out of God of War 3. The super-fast 360 spin attack, the animations for grappling and the air grapple to ground smash, even the little pauses before you let loose a heavier, overhead attack - all GoW3. The first person bits are choreographed exactly like the ending of God of War 3. The 2099 Spidey falling down is exactly like Kratos going along the Chains of Balance in GoW 3.  

It's not a bad thing since I really enjoyed GoW3 but damn, this is almost shameless. I'm most interested in the Noir Spiderman since I like Batman:Arkham Asylum even more. 

Max_Hydrogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Max_Hydrogen

Spidermins?

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By ArcBorealis

Somehow, I should've seen the Ultimate universe coming. I guess I just thought that they'd use another version of Spiderman I had never heard of (I sure as hell didn't know about Noir Spiderman before).  

Still, pretty cool.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really disappointed with the choice of Ultimate Spider-Man. I really don't like the Ultimates universe at all (way too "HEY KIDS LOOK, SPIDER MAN IS A COOL MODERN TEEN LIKE YOU TOO!"). I think that 1602 or Zombie would've been mega bad ass, but looks like Activision is way too chicken to try something new...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By musubi

I'm uh.... pretty much sold on this game now I think.    I'm glad its structured into levels instead of open world bullshit.  The Psone/N64 Spiderman game was THE best.

Quansto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Quansto

Its no Batman Batman Batman, but i'll give it a shot.

WilliamHenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WilliamHenry
@President_Barackbar said:
" I'm really disappointed with the choice of Ultimate Spider-Man. I really don't like the Ultimates universe at all (way too "HEY KIDS LOOK, SPIDER MAN IS A COOL MODERN TEEN LIKE YOU TOO!"). I think that 1602 or Zombie would've been mega bad ass, but looks like Activision is way too chicken to try something new... "

So Noir and 2099 aren't new?
Beb_Jobel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Beb_Jobel

My favorite Spidey/Line of Comics!

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Joshakazam

So it's amazing Spiderman in the Black suit?

JessicaBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By JessicaBoo
@hedfone said:
"spidermanspidermanspidermanspiderman.com "

EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT!!! hahahaahahaha
Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mister_Snig

It's weird seeing all those different Spider-Men next to Regular Ass Spider-Man.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By ht101

This game looks like it could be really good but Spider-Man games have been bad for a long time.  I hope this changes that trend but I will hold myself back from getting too excited about this.  I do like that they chose Deadpool for the Ultimate Universe because he is really different from his 616 Universe counterpart.  He's a lot meaner and less hilarious, which is pretty sweet.  The comic arc he was introduced in was excellent.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DivineCC:  Well, they are, but Ultimate Spider-Man had his own full game already and really isn't anything special (just a younger version of regular Spidey).
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By apathylad

I didn't care for the Ultimate Spider-Man game, and it seems strange that the symbiote is this one's gimmick.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Daveyo520

U;timate Spider-Man was one of my favorite games. I am excited.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I'm super interested in this game now. It looks good.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Besetment  Online

"Ugh. Venom sucks. . .His costume is cool. But he sucks. I hate the Secret Wars cosmic gobbity goo nonsense, what is that?"

From Brian Michael Bendis in Ultimate Spider-Man volume 3, a book I happen to own. It's funny how the writer had to be convinced to include the symbiotes in the Ultimate universe because of his dislike for them, yet in this game it's the defining characteristic of Ultimate Spider-man.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cstrang

Looks like it plays an awful lot like Web of Shadows...

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JackG100

Don't like these fighting-scenes. Looks way too simplistic and with thirty or fourty enemies at once firing assaultweapons on spidey, in those circumstances the comicbook spidey would just run wouldn't he?

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By defaulttag

2099 and Noir are the ones that actually might get me to buy this game.

Charlee_CoCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Charlee_CoCo

Nolan North as Deadpool (once again) right alongside playing him (and Chris Redfield) in Marvel Vs Capcom 3. More nominees for the Northies just keep pouring in :)

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BraveToaster

I was surprised to see Deadpool...

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Venatio

Wow, it looks suprisingly awesome, especially 2099

AriesDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AriesDog

I'm also a little bored by the choice of Ultimate Spider-Man. Even Spider-Man India would've been a fresher choice.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By c1337us
@Dimsey said:
" No Zomie Universe? No 1602? They go with Ultimate Spidey? I'm disapointed. Nothing against Ultimate Spiderman but would've been interesting to go with something a bit more out there. "
I am actually starting to really look forward to this game even though I am not a big Spidey fan. But I agree with you, something a little more out there would have been a lot more fun.
granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43  Edited By granderojo

Holy shit this looks surprisingly good.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Hamz

Excited, optimistic and interested are how I feel but I cannot help but let cautiously pesimistic from creeping in just a little. Spider-Man games haven't had a great track record and Activision seem to realise that, but I'm not so sure just how much.

All of these four dimensions feel like fan service with a worrying lack of details on plot, game mechanics and so forth. They clearly wanted to include the black suit so they muscle it in under the Ultimate Spider-Man dimension which really kind of didn't need to be included in the game given how similar to Amazing it genuinely is.

frootsnax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By frootsnax
@Dimsey said:
" No Zomie Universe? No 1602? They go with Ultimate Spidey? I'm disapointed. Nothing against Ultimate Spiderman but would've been interesting to go with something a bit more out there. "
I agree that it would have been nice to see 1602, but the problem is that "Peter Parquah" didn't have powers, and the zombie universe was kind of a spin off that got canonized. I thought they were going to do ultimate, but it would be nice to see how they define ultimate as "different."
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I think this looks pretty awesome!

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Colonel_Fury

Noir Spider-Man is Peter Parker, its just an alternate timeline of him. Spider-Man 2099 is a dude named Miguel O'Hara who has his dna fused with a spider, thus gaining spider like abilities.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By striderno9

Really impressed with what I just saw, they finally got it right, now next time make me a straight up Amazing Spiderman game, those animations looked insane.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still very excited, but I'm upset they didn't use Zombie Spider-Man

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#50  Edited By ImperiousRix

Kinda disappointed that the last dimension turned out to be Ultimate Spider-Man, but still really excited for this game.  Looks like a much more polished experience than Web of Shadows.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.