Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 07, 2010

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions revolves around the pieces of a magical tablet, spanning four distinct dimensions and starring the Spider-Men therein.

Unprecedented hate on the Bombcast.

• 59 results
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By WickedCestus

I love the crew, and I don't want to be one of those guys who just hates on them if they dislike a game I like, but I felt they were really unfair on Shattered Dimensions. As Jeff said, he played about 45 minutes of it, saw a bunch of bugs (which I never saw playing through the game) and then they all proceeded to shit on it for five minutes (with most of them having played it). I just want to say, that this is a well-made Spider-Man game, and is probably the closest to a "Batman: Arkham Asylum but for Spider-Man"  as we're going to get.

Anyone agree? I love the guys, but it's really not their place to judge a game they have never played.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Feser

If they hate it they can say so. It's not like they are biased, and if the game suddenly become good they will continue to hate it. Their initial impression is poor.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

I'm sure there will be a Quick Look and stuff as well. 

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @supermike6: He also said he just came off of playing Halo: Reach, which is an incredible polished experience. So he said the bugs have seemed more glaring that they are.
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Synthballs

I've played the DS Version, it plays like a "My First Metroid" and it's pretty awesome.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @supermike6 said:
    " I love the crew, and I don't want to be one of those guys who just hates on them if they dislike a game I like, but I felt they were really unfair on Shattered Dimensions. As Jeff said, he played about 45 minutes of it, saw a bunch of bugs (which I never saw playing through the game) and then they all proceeded to shit on it for five minutes (with most of them having played it). I just want to say, that this is a well-made Spider-Man game, and is probably the closest to a "Batman: Arkham Asylum but for Spider-Man"  as we're going to get. Anyone agree? I love the guys, but it's really not their place to judge a game they have never played. "
    It has some big issues you know. The biggest being one where you clip into objects and have to restart. Or a boss clipping underground. 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus

Spider-man is apologetically corny. Jeff Gerstmann hates good stuff. Both characters have characteristics that rub people the wrong way, sometimes.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

It's got middle of the road reviews all around, so I assume some people will find it's faults more glaring than others. 
    Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scullinator

I think the bombcast is becoming more about the personalities of the crew and less about video games. 

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By septim

They have the luxury to pick and choose coverage, so they just straight up dismiss stuff that doesn't grab them.

The amount of shit talked for a 45 minute playthrough seemed really excessive though.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Detrian

Spoilers: It's a shitty game.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hero_swe

Web of Shadows was better. :P
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

This was the first time they ever hated anything. Unprecedented guys.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Dany

Unprecedented hate? Jeff played the game and did not like how 2/4 of the game modes played for the time he has played. How the hell is that unprecedented? You have to realize that maybe will like it, he did not like what he played.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By demonbear
    @TooWalrus said:
    " Jeff hates stuff. "
    That aint Halo. QTF.
    BigDre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BigDre

If i remember Jeff did say they would do a quick look.  I don't remember all of them shitting on the game that only Jeff has played.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By louiedog

You should feel lucky to not have experienced any bugs. I haven't played it, but that's basically all I've been hearing about it. Before the Bombcast went up I saw quite a few people on twitter complaining about glaring bugs, including Joystiq's Justin McElroy who said he had to restart (not sure if the whole game or just the level/checkpoint) multiple times due to glitches stopping his progress.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @ryanwho said:
    " This was the first time they ever hated anything. Unprecedented guys. "
    lol, that's the first thing I thought of too.
    Them hating a game that they've barely played (not played at all) is far from unprecedented.

No big, just take it for what it's worth.
    Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Brenderous

Maybe some people don't like the same games as other people and their opinions are also valid?

Plus Batman could totally kick Spiderman's ass. (please don't start a big forum debate it was a joke)

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @supermike6: Did Jeff say there were even any bugs? I though his complaints were more towards the stupid voice acting....
    baron_calamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By baron_calamity

I think they are being a little harsh on the spider-man character. The voice acting and the characters are one thing Shattered Dimensions got right. As they said, maybe their just don't like Spider-man. Spider-man is an annoying prick. Not as much as Deadpool these days but that how he has been written for the 30 some years I've been reading the comics. Thats cool and i'm glad they admitted it. As for the game itself, I'm really enjoying it, a lot more than Web of Shadows , but I can get the hate GB has for it. it is broken and "janky" in a lot of places. The sad thing it, it may be the best Spider-man game ever but its still not very good. :\  There was a reason why it was thrown out right before Halo Reach.
    I've heard the next Spider-man game is going to really surprise some people. So I hold out hope.
    paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By paradox121
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " @supermike6: Did Jeff say there were even any bugs? I though his complaints were more towards the stupid voice acting.... "
    Yeah he said he had loads of scripting errors, with the game stopping and enemies clipping etc.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @paradox121: oh right, yeah you're right....
    irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By irishjohn
    @Scullinator said:
    " I think the bombcast is becoming more about the personalities of the crew and less about video games.  "
    I agree completely. In some ways this annoys me but often I don't mind. I just fast forward through the "isn't Jeff hilarious?" DSiWare segments. These guys have been open from the start that they are going to express their own views because they're independent. To be fair, comments on a bombcast are not the same as a review, and Jeff would certainly take more care with a written review. I take the comments on the bombcast as comments made by people that dig video games and that's it. If they think something I like is crap, more power to them. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the bombcast.
    The_Boots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Boots

Jeff's also been reviewing games for a very long time. I think while he totally knows what he's doing, but he's probably at the point where if a game comes off as slipshod, he's less likely to tolerate it. Besides:  there are so many great and polished games, why waste time on a game that isn't properly tested? Why play an inferior Spiderman: Arkham Asylum when you already have the real one sitting on your shelf?

And if all else fails, he's old. Maybe he was just cranky!

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By FreakAche

Whatever, no Spider-man game will ever top the Spider-Man 2 movie game.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hunkulese

Why do people have to get defensive when someone disagrees with their opinion? 45 min is usually long enough to have a good impression of what the game has to offer. They have every right to hate the game just as you have every right to love the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I love Spider-Man: Shattered Dimension but Jeff hated it.  He had some valid complaints but  the fact that he didn't like the game did not take away from my enjoyment with the game.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Noodles

I played a bit of it and had a similar experience. It is the exact opposite of fun.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By alternate

Only Jeff said he hated it.  Ryan commented on how previous Spiderman games have been crap.  The other two said next to nothing.  Jeff even ruled himself out of the QL/review to give the game a fair shake.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#32  Edited By beard_of_zeus
    @bartok said:
    " I love Spider-Man: Shattered Dimension but Jeff hated it.  He had some valid complaints but  the fact that he didn't like the game did not take away from my enjoyment with the game. "
    Exactly. I feel the same way. It's not like Jeff is somehow stealing joy from you by having a differing opinion or anything, no need to get all bent up about it. I've read about a lot of folks having some bugs playing through the game - luckily, I did not encounter any of this, but perhaps if I had I would have not liked the game as much. Who knows?
    paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By paradox121
    @FreakAche said:
    " Whatever, no Spider-man game will ever top the Spider-Man 2 movie game. "
    Yes! As they were talking about Spider-man finally getting his 'Arkham Asylum' I was waiting for them to cite this. It was an awesome game that got the controls/feeling of web slinging down to a tee. Sure, missions were repetitive but....awesome game.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By Chris2KLee

The reviews have been average, and most of the major reviews I've read have stated an unpolished feel to it. I think the Gametrailers review does a good job of showing some of those pretty bad glitches in action.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By trophyhunter

It's already been price cut at many places

McBradders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By McBradders

Gerstmann stole what little joy I had just because he could :(

baron_calamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By baron_calamity
    @trophyhunter:
    I noticed that. As much as I'm enjoying myself, I wish I waited.
    bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bcjohnnie
    @supermike6:  Also, just to be clear, "unprecedented hate" doesn't mean "hate that I don't agree with" or "a lot of hate"....  I think you meant "unwarranted hate" or something like that.

Jeff's hating on Spider-Man has a lot of precedent, he hates on a lot of games in exactly the same way.

I know this might make me come off like a dick, but people should really know what words mean when using them.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By luce

Yeah...I think Jeff is a cool dude and all but my opinion is VASTLY different from his

I loved Majora's Mask and hated the Bionic Commando Remake

Opinions will be opinions...he doesn't need to put IMO at the end of all his sentences so i think you should just accept it for what it is

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#40  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Atomasist said:
    " OMG, Jeff doesn't like a game! "
    Unprecedented!
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Grissefar

How about you accept the fact that Jeff dislikes a game that you don't? It's going to be problematic for you to listen to the Bombcast if you're going to make a thread like this each time a crew member disagrees with your game tastes.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nohthink
    @supermike6: You have to remember a couple of things. 
    1. Video game reviews are solely based on the experience of the reviewer. If he experience some bugs during this review, he had played a game that was not finished. Of course, some bugs might not appear when others play. Look at Kane & Lynch 2 review. Jeff experienced an almost a game breaking bug when other reviewers(as far as I know) did not experience. So there is a possibility that Jeff did experience some bugs that you did not experience at all. 

2. Whether we like it or not, video game review is totally a personal opinion. It's just that some people's opinions get more credits because of their much experiences. Jeff might have hated the game(and yes I do agree with you that it was unfair for the game to be criticized when Jeff played only 45 minutes of it) but it sounded Ryan did not hate it as much as Jeff did. I'm guessing because Ryan actually likes comic books a lot and has some soft spots for Spidey. 

3. Listen the game reviewers but don't take them as the truth. If you like the game, then it's a good game. You don't have to convince others unless they seriously "why do you like this game?" You might have a good explanation, you might not. It does not really matter. Game reviews(or other reviews also for that matter) are guide lines. Don't get offended by that. It's not a big deal. I like the new Spider Man: Shattered Dimension too :)
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikkaQ

Spiderman games have been pretty rough quality since Spiderman 2. Ultimate was okay, but not great. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HandsomeDead

He said he didn't like it after 45 minutes, I'm missing how that's unfair.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shadow

They also had some bad things to say about Reach.  While I don't think this Spider-man is great, it's certainly competent and undeserving of the hate Jeff has for it.  It's not really his fault though.  This is what I hate about the fall season of video games: reviewers are playing so many games to give their opinion on them that they just want to get through it.  They get impatient with the smaller stuff that would barely even register in say, the summer when they only review a few games a month.  This results in nearly all their opinions being influenced by time pressure and stress of just wanting to get through it and the reviews highly suspect when they're being read by someone who intends to play the game in order to relax.  Take for example, Jeff talking about running past any fight he could in Reach.  Anyone who played the game by now knows that's ludicrous.  However, the game while entertaining in normal situations when you want to sit back and relax with a video game, is basically taking part in a vast number of fairly large-scale fights which can each take a fairly long time.  For that reason and to Halo's disadvantage, it's not something that can be enjoyed when you just want to get through it as fast as possible, have so much else to do ironically before you can relax and be in the correct mindset to actually review the stuff.  I really do wish the press would stop forcing their reviewers to cast opinions on a shitload of games at one time because it causes me to disregard the opinions they lost sleep over to develop.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By Jedted

You should keep in mind that Jeff isn't a big comic book guy so his distaste for Spider-man as a character is understandable.  In the case of Batman:AA i recall him saying he enjoyed the gameplay but didn't really care for the story. 

Also, i don't think the rest of the gang out right hated the game as much as Jeff did.  The big discussion was mainly "when will Spidey get the Arkham Asylum treatment?".  According to some user reviews Shattered Dimensions is close enough to be fun, but to a lot of people "close enough" isn't quite good enough. 

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bhhawks78

Talking about a game =/= a review. 

If you enjoyed it good, they didn't oh well.  No reason to cry about it. 

Also basically everything I've heard about this game anywhere has boiled down to.  Buggy as fuck.  Same animations for the past handful of games.  Noir is cool but only because it's a bootleg arkham Asylum.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By xxizzypop
    @Shadow: In regards to Halo: Reach, running past fights after a while wasn't just a press problem, it was a 'real-people problem'. I know that by the end of the game, I was certainly feeling the same way -- it's not that the fights are bad, simply that there's not really a new element every introduced since you're fighting the same Covenant you have been for the past decade. Once you figure out how to beat them, it just becomes a grind. 

But this is simply where people's own styles of playing video games shines through. You clearly wanted the whole experience, where as some of us just grew battle fatigued.  

To be much more on topic though, I've yet to try Shattered Dimensions. I was interested at first, but quickly realized the only one I cared about was Noir. Spider-Man just ain't my cuppa tea, but I'm sure I'll give it a swing eventually. 
    High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By High_Nunez

From what I remember he seemed to mostly bash how little he liked Spider-Man's one-liners, which are either amusing if well written, and irritating if they're not. At the end of the day though it's a matter of opinion. Or maybe Jeff's right, he hates Spider-Man. 

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DrPockets000

I loved the game, didn't catch any glitches, save for one where a script didn't run so I had to restart a checkpoint, which set me back an UNPRECEDENTED 20 seconds.   

Generally, I tend to get pretty lucky when it comes to glitches, I rarely encounter them.  I agree that some of the quips were fucking stupid (and he & Madame Web don't play off each other very well).  Some were really funny though.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.