Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Peter Parker

Character » appears in 124 games

After being bitten by a radioactive spider during a science exhibit unrelated to school, timid teenager Peter Parker becomes the Amazing Spider-Man. Armed with the ability to climb walls and enhanced strength, Spider-Man uses his powers to fight evil and protect the innocent.

Anyone else find Spider-Man more annoying nowadays?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

I fell in love with Spider-Man through the 90s cartoon. I played all the PS1 n PS2 games but haven't bought one fr ages.
     I just saw the Marvel vs Capcom 3 trailer and remembered how Spider-man is a really unfunny douche in all this stuff now. Like how he's all gayass Disney Channel one-liners through the whole of Shattered Dimensions. He wasn't allways like that.

Like yeah he was allways a naive college guy who didn't take it all too seriously, and I liked that. His weakness is his lack of focus n responsibility, it's cool. But now it's like every line he says is some campy sarcastic pun or something.
    In Marvel Ultimate Allience he kept breaking the tension an it seemed like he was just annoying everyone in the game.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I thought he was always like that in the comics.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By ReyGitano

I loved the 90's cartoon too, but I accept Spider-man for what he is, a dork trying his best to be cool, and keep his cool while fighting villains most people would wet their pants at the sight of. If he needs bad comedy to do it, so be it.  
    Go read some of the early comics, hey even some of the new ones. It always varies depending on the writer; some really pack them in, some only sprinkle them on, sometimes they're good, mostly they're bad, but for the most part... yeah he's always been this way more or less.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By lead_farmer

That animated series they tried a couple years ago only ran for a few seasons, but I thought it was pretty good.  I kinda like his sarcasm and cheesy remarks.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

Spider-Man's always used one-liners and general humour as a way to confound his opponents and get them worked up enough that they lose focus which in turn gives Spider-Man an advantage.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK

The difference in the cartoon of the 90s and what we see now is that he would say funny shit to himself, so it would be pretty funny.  Like shit we say to ourselves.  Now when you try to come up with funny quips to tell someone else, thats when you become lame.  But still, I don't know how he is more annoying now, i felt he was always like this, in some way or another.  But I refuse to follow spider-man any more.  I could deal with the clone stuff.  I could deal with the Green Goblin coming back, I could deal with Aunt May coming back.  Hell even bring back Harry Osborn, but when you make MJ and Peter split up, then fuck you.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@TheHBK: In general, the Spider-Man writing has been pretty mediocre over the last ten-to-fifteen years. And that trickles down, especially when films are looking to more modern Spider-Man archetypes for inspiration.  

I can never really bring myself to hate Spider-Man. I'll always have an unabashed, deep-seated love for the character. Because he's so universally relatable as a guy who just can't get any sort of luck, and then gets to have these incredible powers and do these incredible things and be this incredible sort of icon. It's incredibly cathartic for fans to live vicariously through that. And Spider-Man will always be the hero that made me interested in comic books in the first place.  

I love Spidey. There are incarnations I like more than others, but you have to understand Spider-Man's broad appeal. He can't suddenly go R-rated on fools. He's the Mickey Mouse of the Marvel Universe.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By I_smell

I'm sad it's just me, cos that means I apparantly used to like this stuff :/

I remember he used to freak out under pressure a lot. Like he'd joke around with Rhino, but when it comes to the Green Goblin then he totally loses confidence and just tries to escape or whatever.
    But now it's all the time with the dumb unfunny jokes.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hamz
    @I_smell: There are and have been far worse things done to the character and personality of Spider-Man.  

OMD and OMiT are the two prime examples. 
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I_smell

Actually I guess it's the same for all comic characters. Like if they made a game about Wolverine then I bet he'd come off as just a cocky angry jerk. And if they made a game about the Hulk then he'd just be worried about being the Hulk all the time.
    It's not like they have a lot of conversations like in a Mass Effect or Fallout type game or anything.

What I'm saying is I want to play a Spider-Man game wth the character depth of Mass Effect 2, which is never gonna happen, so nevermind.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By dbz1995

Why do I like Spiderman (Rant Warning) 

Simply put, there's someone underneath Spiderman, who's a good character in himself. Peter Parker is, in the end, a nerd who got powers. As a result, he tries his best to be cool as Spider-Man, which is very different from other superheroes, who change their personality completely when they put their mask on.
     Let's take, for example, masked vigilante Batman. Bruce Wayne is a millionaire playboy as Bruce Wayne, yet as Batman, he's-simply put-a badass. There's no character from Bruce Wayne reflected in Batman. When he gets that cape and that hood on, he's Batman. Noone else.
     On the other hand, you've got Peter Parker-a science geek who's very sincere as Peter Parker, yet a one-liner saying, wannabe humourous superhero as Spider-Man. Hang on, you say, but nerds don't go round cracking one-liner at every unfunny thing they see! But then that, to me, seems to be the point. When Peter Parker is Spider-Man, he has power. And that power allows him to not be the science geek he is, but what he thinks is cool. So, in a roundabout fashion, Peter Parker is reflected in Spider-man, making him much more relatable, especially for people like me-massive nerds who sihed they had that power to be 'cool'. 

Hey. I tried.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I_smell
    Oh. Well I guess the problem there is that nerds are annoying in real life, and that's a bit too authentically portrayed in Spider-Man.

@Hamz said:
    " @I_smell: There are and have been far worse things done to the character and personality of Spider-Man.   OMD and OMiT are the two prime examples.  "
    I've got no idea what those are.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hamz
    @I_smell: OMD aka One More Day was one of the worst and most stupid bloody retcons to occur in a comic book. OMiT aka One Moment in Time is the sort of follow up to explain the events during OMD and again it's just another part of what was a stupid and entirely unnecessary retcon. 

Check out the Spider-Man page on Comic Vine for more info.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Gabriel

I think everyone goes in stages with Superheros, 

Start with Superman and Batman when your really little, 
    then you move on to Spiderman and hulk when your a teenager and you identify more with teen angst and rage 
    Then you move back to Batman

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By DrPockets000

I still love Spider-Man.

Avatar image for devilmaycry9797
    devilmaycry9797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

yes he is very annoying in the comics hes in his thirties or something and he still blames everything on being spiderman and bitches alot

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.