Do you use Motion control aiming?

Posted by shikon (232 posts) 7 months, 8 hours ago

Poll: Do you use Motion control aiming? (277 votes)

Yes 39%
No 39%
N/A (Show answers) 22%

I Bought a Switch for Splatoon 2 and never used motion controls in a game before.
They had me aim with the motion in the tutorial and it was really confusing and frustrating.
I turned it off and am having a blast now! But am i missing out?
Is motion control really that much better?

#1 Posted by BoboBones (170 posts) -

I generally have a pretty strong dislike for motion controls, and I really hated it for the first few minutes, but then it clicked. Same was true for Breath of The Wild. Didn't take long for me to prefer the stick for horizontal, motion for vertical. Made it much faster and more precise. If it's the opposite for you, then don't force it.

#2 Posted by Jurck (29 posts) -

I'm really bummed out that there isn't an option to use both simultaneously; I suck at aiming with a stick, so I'd prefer to use the stick to cover large movements and the motion controls to fine-tune my aim. Worked fine for me in Ocarina 3D and Breath of the Wild. Right now with Splatoon 2, I'm trying to get used to the disconnect: Motion controls work fine for aiming in all directions while stick only works horizontally. Many times I've fired right over the heads of helpless squids below me because I'm thinking the stick will point my view down. Hopefully I'll get used to it soon, but until then, if you're ever matched against me, attack me from above or below.

#3 Posted by Quid_Pro_Bono (1084 posts) -

The motion controls are great for the reason Jeff mentioned: you wanna whip that ink. Being able to aim up quickly to shoot ink far and return to a neutral position is very helpful. It's even more important with the slosher if you want to throw ink over a wall quickly.

Overall I think the motion controls are really helpful and totally manageable after a solid few hours of playing.

#4 Posted by TheMasterDS (2975 posts) -

@jurck: Same. I love the aiming in the recent Zelda games and ports, but it doesn't work if it's not both so I go with regular aiming. Fine tuning, that's where motion controls shine, not in having to turn the controller up and down and hitting Y to reset when it gets fucked.

#5 Posted by mems1224 (2113 posts) -

No, I hate all forms of motion controls, they're bad. I'm doing fine with just the sticks.

#6 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (1460 posts) -

Yes, and I did in Splatoon 1 as well. It takes some getting used to but it's way better, dual analog for shooters sucks. Don't understand the people who are vehemently opposed to gyro controls, your wrists and arms moving around freely are way more capable of precise movements than your thumb on a tiny stick.

#7 Edited by pompouspizza (1420 posts) -

Just like a lot of other people, I hated motion controls at first but now I can't imagine playing without them.

#8 Posted by MattyFTM (14850 posts) -

First thing I did after the tutorial was turn them off. I understand the positives people are saying about them, but I find them frustrating. And I'm not willing to spend 5 hours of my time being varying degrees of frustrated before I can finally have a good time with the game. I'm having fun using the stick. I will continue to have fun using the stick. I don't have the time or inclination to spend hours frustrated with the motion controls just so I can eventually be slightly better at the game.

#9 Posted by katiedey (111 posts) -

the motion controls are great unless ur controllers are attached to the switch, in which case they are frustrating bcus you're tilting the actual screen up and down. i really like playing with the 2 joycons separated in each hand and basically using my right hand like a lightgun. the motion stuff is super low-latency and responsive too imo

#10 Edited by sodapop7 (647 posts) -

It took me probably 15 minutes to get used to them in Splatoon 1 and it is no different here. People need to give them a shot because the aiming is way easier with them.

#11 Posted by sfw44 (242 posts) -

No i dont use them. I havnt spent the time trying to figure them out and i probably never will. I think im doing fine just with the pro controller.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#12 Posted by colourful_hippie (5782 posts) -

I mainly use the roller which I find best used with standard controls. Motion controls are annoying for me and don't bother trying them when playing the game in my bed

#13 Posted by Captain_Insano (3165 posts) -

I use the motion controls. They seem alrite.

They are not alrite if I'm trying to lay down and play.

#14 Posted by StarvingGamer (11495 posts) -

I can't imagine using the motion controls in handheld mode. I stick to dual analog.

#15 Edited by LeStephan (1071 posts) -

I've only played splatoon 1 and I think you can reasonably prefer splatoon without motion control and have more fun that way, thats 100% fine.

Saying its worse with motion controls is just factually wrong though haha, YOU are worse with motion controls. Which is also ok, Im definitely not great at everything I try either, just dont blame something else for your own inability. Personally Im pretty sure I wouldn't have played much splatoon if I hated the motion controls, its pretty clear to me your not able to do some crucial stuff people with them can.

On top of that, and this is just my opinion, the sticks on their own in splatoon 1 have horrible deadzone & acceleration settings to me, I think the camera movement just feels inadequate compared to other 3rd person games without the added motion controls precision. Dont know if the normal controls have improved in splatoon 2 though.. That could very well be possible.

Im also curious, do you get matched appropriately in splatoon 2 according to control preferences(motion or not)? That would be pretty neat.

#16 Posted by CrazyBagMan (1431 posts) -

Motion

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#17 Posted by SloppyDetective (1395 posts) -

Splatoon 1 I went without then went with--once I heard people talk about how good they are--but went back to without. I've been playing this without since the tutorial and am doing fine. Better than fine actually.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#18 Edited by SloppyDetective (1395 posts) -

@lestephan: The camera controls feel a lot better in 2, to me. What do you think you can do with them that you can't without?

#19 Posted by ripelivejam (12425 posts) -

I've only played splatoon 1 and I think you can reasonably prefer splatoon without motion control and have more fun that way, thats 100% fine.

Saying its worse with motion controls is just factually wrong though haha, YOU are worse with motion controls. Which is also ok, Im definitely not great at everything I try either, just dont blame something else for your own inability. Personally Im pretty sure I wouldn't have played much splatoon if I hated the motion controls, its really clear to me your not able to do some crucial stuff people with them can.

On top of that, and this is just my opinion, the sticks on their own in splatoon 1 have horrible deadzone & acceleration settings to me, I think the camera movement just feels inadequate compared to other 3rd person games without the added motion controls precision. Dont know if the normal controls have improved in splatoon 2 though.. That could very well be possible.

Im also curious, do you get matched appropriately in splatoon 2 according to control preferences(motion or not)? That would be pretty neat.

I don't think they want to do that so they don't split up the userbase too heavily.

#20 Posted by Oculin (10 posts) -

@katiedey: Do you know if you're able to aim using the left Joycon? My biggest problem in Splatoon 1 is I played Charger and whenever I released the trigger I'd slightly shift the controller. It'd messed my aim up a lot. Would be a huge help to keep aiming and my trigger finger separate.

#21 Edited by shikon (232 posts) -

@oculin: I just tested the motion controls for you! its exclusive to the right joycon so your trigger fingers. I tested out the charger and had the same issue you described, I'd go off center as I release the trigger.

#22 Edited by xGumby (26 posts) -

Anyone who has not tried using detached joy cons with motion control should give it a go.

It clicked immediately for me that way.

Also spend some time dialing in motion/stick sensitivity. It took me a quite a while to get the setting that felt natural to me, but ince i didnt i wont be going back to just the stick.

#23 Edited by Yoshisaur (80 posts) -

Tried to go without this time around. Made it one match then turned motion back on.

I'm just not quick enough without the motion aiming. I never play FPS games so I'm super rusty with dual analog controls. Also, I get panicky when lining up a shot, so I like being able to fine tune my aim, like in BotW.

#24 Posted by Trilogy (3158 posts) -

Nah, just regular ole stick controls for me.

#25 Edited by Oculin (10 posts) -

@shikon: Thanks for checking! It's a shame, but I'll live lol.

#26 Edited by LeStephan (1071 posts) -

@ripelivejam: Thats a great point! Darn, can't believe I didnt think of that earlier haha.

#27 Posted by RiruKiria (1003 posts) -

Yes i use joy cons with motion control

i cant imagine how slow my reaction would be with just sticks in this game

#28 Posted by mostman (328 posts) -

For those trying to adapt - try moving the right joystick as you normally would, but also tilt the controller as you do this. This will help your brain get used to it. Once you adapt, the motion controls are better because you can just slosh ink all over the place with subtle twitch movements.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.