I'm with Vinny... I just don't get it?

• 59 results
samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I'll preface this by saying I own a Switch and am super happy with it so far, despite not owning a Nintendo console since the Wii.

Having said that, after watching the testfire streams, I really just don't understand why everyone adores Splatoon. Am I missing something?

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why don't you understand it though? People voiced their opinions on it during game of the year discussions when it came out. It's got a review on this site and many others. A pretty good metacritic score. Quicklook, other podcasts. I mean, there seems to have been ample opportunity to understand; it then becomes a matter of agreeing or disagreeing.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Because it's a really fun and well-balanced game that's approachable but still has a high skill ceiling.

Avatar image for marceloblvictor
marceloblvictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had it, played it for a week, and did not enjoy at all. I thought the shooting was very imprecise, but maybe I was just too impatient to adapt.

PS: best loading screen minigame of all time.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

It's one of those Nintendo things that if the game wasn't made by Nintendo it would probably end up on that video Jeff made where he played multiplayer games by himself.

Brutal but true

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cerberus3dog

A pixar movie can be enjoyed by both kids and adults, Splatoon is a casual shooter that can be enjoyed by both age groups as well.

eh.. idk that's the best I got. I enjoyed Splatoon, but it was very simple.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's fun? Does it need some grander reason than that?

Well I suppose it's also the fact that they took the incredibly tired shooter genre and did something unique with it. A game that is both unique and fun is always a good recipe.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw said:

It's one of those Nintendo things that if the game wasn't made by Nintendo it would probably end up on that video Jeff made where he played multiplayer games by himself.

Brutal but true

Same could be said for Overwatch and Blizzard.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For years, games have let you play as a kid, or play as a squid. One or the other. "No longer!", says Nintendo. No longer are we so grossly limited by the whims of the developers. Now we, the players, decide: Be we kids, be we squids, or... be we both?

A world in which one can go from kidhood to squidhood at the press of a button is a world I am proud to live in.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Nintendo's equivalent of Rockstar's Table Tennis. A beloved company putting out this stylish, fun game from out of nowhere, really creating something unique and kooky for a niche audience. Nothing to do with branding. The soundtrack is dope, the character designs and animations are super appealing, and it's a great twist on multiplayer shooter-style mechanics that people who are sick of shooting strangers in the face were waiting for. If it happened to be made by the Jet Set Radio guys or anyone else and still had the qualities it does, people would still like it.

I'm not sure about the "If it wasn't Nintendo..." conjecture, but the WiiU held it back from being a smash. It would've done great on 3DS or Wii, and 2 may do great on Switch. We'll see.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WynnDuffy

@boozak said:
@ajamafalous said:
@kingbonesaw said:

Brutal but true

Yeah, I think Overwatch is boring, Rainbow Six Siege does 5v5 FPS much better. Some of the guns feel incredible in Siege, in Overwatch nothing to me feels powerful. I want to like it but it just doesn't have a satisfying feel to it.

I'm glad Siege keeps getting more and more popular.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@boozak: I mean, at some point you're saying "If this game was made by worse developers it would have been received worse". Nintendo and Blizzard polish everything to a sheen and make games that are both approachable and deep, and they do it by taking their sweet time and make what they wanna make. Not many other developers could make games that feel like them.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:
@ajamafalous said:
@kingbonesaw said:

Brutal but true

I agree with that take as well.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sometimes people like a thing that you don't like and I know that that's scary but I promise you that it will be okay.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like a decent game but I never understood the hype. It looks pretty basic, especially compared to other multiplayer shooters out there. Even if you're looking at it as a game for kids I think PVZGW is a better game with more content.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played an hour of the beta and it's fun, well-designed, and well-made. But I didn't find it to be extraordinary.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an shooter where you're always doing something. I'm sick of games where I might run around for a while and get killed without having seen a soul, or where I have to charge an objective and 9 times out of 10 get killed before I get there. This way not only am I contributing to the team at all times, the maps are also small enough that I'm always going to find people to fight and the matches are short enough that they don't overstay their welcome. It also controls well and is very well polished which are important to any multiplayer focused game.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: I like both games and the companies who made them but I find the fanbase a little scary at times, thats all I was saying.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has styyyyyle for days and it's a good concept based on tried and true ideas with some extra polish. I think comparing it to Overwatch is not completely out there.

Nintendo's best new IP in god knows how long.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think one can have a complete opinion without actually trying it (i.e. judging it "on paper" doesn't do it justice). A large part of its strength is that it feels fairly different from other games and for its fans, the game hits a certain wonderful balance between passive / active competition (maybe not the best adjectives, but I'm contrasting competing via painting against competing via splatting) as well as between solo / team contribution (different loadouts skew to one side or the other IMHO).

All that said, if the controls didn't grab you or you felt the paint traversal mechanics to not be fun, etc...then sure it's totally valid to not like the game. Though I think it would still be understandable how those aspects are more interesting to some than what has become standard in console shooters.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BisonHero

@boozak: I mean, at some point you're saying "If this game was made by worse developers it would have been received worse". Nintendo and Blizzard polish everything to a sheen and make games that are both approachable and deep, and they do it by taking their sweet time and make what they wanna make. Not many other developers could make games that feel like them.

But I think the reverse is true as well. If failed multiplayer games had been made by more successful developers with more resources and time, the end product would've been better. There's no actual original innovation or idea in Overwatch that sets it apart from other games of its genre, but it just spent enough time in the oven because of Blizzard's considerable resources. Original Team Fortress was a fun idea that some modders came up with that has been wildly influential on the team-based shooter genre, but the original takes a backseat because TF2 is the game that had years and years of iterations before its release, leading to the creation of something great that really worked. Following the TF2 formula, I'm sure if the developers behind Super Monday Night Combat or Gotham City Impostors had the resources and prestige of Blizzard, maybe their team-based shooter would've gotten the polish and subsequent attention that Overwatch received, and gain a playerbase that lasted more than 6 months.

All of this is pretty much why I'm not that impressed with Overwatch and only played it for a couple months. It's the Blizzard game that is least worthy of its success, because it isn't doing much that I haven't already seen in TF2 or SMNC. It's TF2 with ults, but that's not enough to keep me interested.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:
@ajamafalous said:
@kingbonesaw said:

Brutal but true

Yeah, I think Overwatch is boring, Rainbow Six Siege does 5v5 FPS much better. Some of the guns feel incredible in Siege, in Overwatch nothing to me feels powerful. I want to like it but it just doesn't have a satisfying feel to it.

I disagree with that. I don't think I have disliked an FPS more than I dislike siege. But I adore overwatch. Problem is my friends like seige. We don't play many video games together these days.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played the games but I got the impression Splatoon was to shooters what Smash Bros. was to fighting games. Approachable without being shallow.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WynnDuffy

@bam_boozilled said:
@wynnduffy said:
@boozak said:
@ajamafalous said:
@kingbonesaw said:

Brutal but true

I disagree with that. I don't think I have disliked an FPS more than I dislike siege. But I adore overwatch. Problem is my friends like seige. We don't play many video games together these days.

Siege is probably the most rewarding FPS I have played in a long time, an absolute blast with my 4 friends. If the gunplay in Overwatch felt half as good as Siege I'd probably be more into it, but it feels like I'm firing peashooters.

The no respawns in Siege might turn off some. I don't mind it because I enjoyed older Rainbow Six games online a lot and some Counter Strike. I think the rounds are short enough in these games that no respawn is definitely a good thing.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not having a console since the Wii means you missed one console...

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you are neither a kid now, nor a squid now?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wynnduffy: Overwatch isn't about powerful feeling guns, it's about teamwork and combining abilities.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Sometimes people like a thing that you don't like and I know that that's scary but I promise you that it will be okay.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By applegong

Personally I find Team Fortress 2 more engaging than Overwatch. There really seems to be no point to be playing Splatoon 2 aside from having no other games to play other than Zelda on the Switch. When I could just as easily play the first two games I mentioned, one of which is free. Just my opinion.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dixavd

The key to the enjoyment for me is the focus on painting the floor over competing and killing the other team. I can frequently come out with 0 kills, and a couple deaths, and still end up top of the leaderboard because I focused on painting the environment. Even with Overwatch's focus on support classes, there is nothing else in the competitive gaming marketplace that gives me such a sense of success and purpose (edit-due to how bad I am at a straight fight against someone else - I'm just terrible at aiming reticles quickly)

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But you must have seen some of the praise for the first game? It's not hard to see people talk about why they like it.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fun and simple gameplay, style for days, dope music, and the single player was a ton of fun too. Also character design and customization I actually liked.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not having a console since the Wii means you missed one console...

PS2 to PS4 is missing one console as well?

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ungodly

I've said this before, but if you don't have interest in a game, and don't want to do play said game, then just ignore the game.

If the game develops a following, and that makes you curious, then maybe try playing the game. Maybe you will like it after all.

If you are absolutely certain you won't like the game, then just move on, and let people have fun. No one has to justify there interest to any one, and you are not expected to like every game that has a fan base.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you haven't played the game then that's the part that you're missing.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Like Overwatch and Mobas it gets some extra accessibility by de emphasizing direct confrontation with other players as the sole means of contributing. It also has a pretty sweet style.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didn't play enough of the first. i assume everyone left playing are pretty much demons at it by this point.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

If you have a Switch why didn't you try the free beta instead of just watching other people play it

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's a well made game? It's really not that difficult to understand.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't get that different people like different things?

Well, we all learn at different paces, I suppose...

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Trilogy

@wynnduffy said:
@bam_boozilled said:
@wynnduffy said:
@boozak said:
@ajamafalous said:
@kingbonesaw said:

Brutal but true

Siege is probably the most rewarding FPS I have played in a long time, an absolute blast with my 4 friends. If the gunplay in Overwatch felt half as good as Siege I'd probably be more into it, but it feels like I'm firing peashooters.

The no respawns in Siege might turn off some. I don't mind it because I enjoyed older Rainbow Six games online a lot and some Counter Strike. I think the rounds are short enough in these games that no respawn is definitely a good thing.

I tried Siege with friends and didn't think much of it. Not a bad game, but not interesting enough to hold my attention for more than a few sessions of it. The round based nature to it is definitely a turn off for me. I never like Counter strike (outside of weird shit like gungame, kz maps). I buy video games to play them, not to watch other people play them until I'm good enough to not die right away. Also, as someone who loves Overwatch (was my GOTY), I didn't spend hundreds of hours in that game because Blizzard made it instead of Ubisoft or EA, I put hundreds of hours in it because it's a great game that I find satisfying to play. Also, The "only reason it's popular is cause Blizzard made it" theory is silly. Those games Jeff plays are made by like 1-3 people who lack the money or ability to create a decent game and market at all. Those developers wouldn't be able to make a game like Overwatch, Splatoon, Siege or any other game that requires a lot of talent, time, and money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played any of them before but I like watching them because they're really cute.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WynnDuffy

@frostyryan said:

@wynnduffy: Overwatch isn't about powerful feeling guns, it's about teamwork and combining abilities.

Rainbow Six Siege isn't about powerful feeling guns, it's about teamwork and combining gadgets.

That was easy.

I never said Overwatch is about guns, I said I don't think the game has anything with a satisfying kick to it which doesn't have to be in the form of a gun. The only thing that feels meaty or has weight to it is Reinhardt's hammer, McCree revolver feels OK but it's nothing compared to the revolver or Desert Eagle in Siege.

I will continue playing Siege and occasionally checking in on Overwatch, I need to try the new hero in the continuing quest to find a hero in that game I enjoy playing.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm inclined to agree, I played the testfire beta too, and although I can definitely see this is an extremely well made game and stylish as hell, once I had played the 4 available classes, I pretty much had my fill. That said, for a preteen audience, the idea of an age appropriate shooter is genius.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the time I spent with splatoon, but would quickly get sick of playing because of the bizarre decision to only have two maps in roatation at a time. Made playing feel very stale very quickly.

deathbyyogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP you're just not fresh.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it because it's a shooter mixed with graffiti from THPS. If you like making things your colour it'll click

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

The painting mechanic is neat, and the music is _great_, so I can certainly see why people enjoy it. I think the hype it gets is a little much at times though (then again, I also think that about Overwatch, so it probably says more about me than the game!)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.