Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Splatterhouse

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 23, 2010

Splatterhouse revisits Rick Taylor as he tries to rescue his girlfriend Jennifer from the evil clutches of Dr. West. In the process, he must battle against evil beings known as the "Corrupted" in bloody and brutal combat.

This game looks so disappointing

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Emilio

At least to me it does. I just took a look at this new video on kotaku

It feels like another piece of shit "Rated M for Mature" game. 
    At first, I was a bit bummed that the new Splatterhouse was not coming to Wii, but now I seriously don't care. The first game played slowly. It had atmosphere. I fought weird things. I just don't understand how video games like these are made. I don't understand how nobody at Namco was like "Hey guys, this game seriously looks like shit. What happened to the old Splatterhouse spirit?". 

But then again, it will just be another cliche'd out video game...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

This game started up when gore " was big" and well..its been in the works for a nice chunk of time and that fad is gone 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " This game started up when gore " was big" and well..its been in the works for a nice chunk of time and that fad is gone  "
    That period was the early 90s. 

This game did not start development in the early 90s. What the hell are you talking about?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " This game started up when gore " was big" and well..its been in the works for a nice chunk of time and that fad is gone  "
    That period was the early 90s.  This game did not start development in the early 90s. What the hell are you talking about? "
    Its a joke about how long its been in development. 
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By spaceturtle

Never had any expectations for this anyways so to me this looks as good as it could get. Does kinda look like fun, but I don't think I'll be picking it up though.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Emilio
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    That period was the early 90s.  This game did not start development in the early 90s. What the hell are you talking about? "
    Its a joke about how long its been in development.  "
    That's true. It has been in development for a long ass time. Didn't Namco Bandai basically can the original developer and made off with their game engine? Just saying, cos that other game, Knights Contract, looks very similar to Splatterhouse.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

ARE YOU KIDDING?!  This, along with Mortal Kombat and Doom, helped created the idea of Mature video games!!!   

This game looks great!  It's not trying to be innovative.  It's trying to be a solid reboot of the franchise, meaning it features over-the-top gore and solid platforming and combat.  I haven't seen anything that makes it look like that isn't being accomplished. 

Moreover, this is definitely the kind of game that is being made more for the nostalgics like me who remember pumping quarters in the arcade and blasting away on our Genesis and TurboGrafx with the games. 

Also, quite a few of the folks at BottleRocket were brought on to Namco Bandai and have continued working on this game.  That studio was going through financial troubles long before this, as they had already had two games get cancelled before Splatterhouse, including a game based on DC's Flash.  They never got shafted.  Namco Bandai just wasn't willing to talk about the specifics in the hopes that no one would see the internal issues that were going on with BottleRocket.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By trophyhunter

well for something to be disappointing you had to actually have hope in it to begun with 

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cold_Wolven

After the dismal effort that is Golden Axe: Beast Rider, expectations for any revival of early 90's franchises should be low. Lets face it how can this game have any compelling story since it's a guy with a mask mashing monsters. Saving your girlfriend from a house of monsters is something straight out of a budget horror flick. The action also boils down to hitting the punch button a bunch of times so the only thing that could possibly be redeaming factors are gore and boss fights. Having said that though I do hope that the game does a descent job at being gory and fun as Splatterhouse 2 was a game I loved when I was young.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I hate to say this but the Splatter House games weren't very good. The first 2 games were harder then hell platformers that were made to eat quarters like Tic-Tacs and the third game was a mediocre brawler.  The only reason these games are remembered fondly is because of the gore and the fact that the protagonist looked liked Jason Vorhees.  The remake looks like a mediocre character driven action game much akin to God of War or Devil May Cry.  
    The problem with Golden Axe: Beast Rider is that no one gave a shit about the female all my friends would fight over who got to play as the dwarf.  Plus how the fuck do you make a Golden Axe game with no Co-Op ?  

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Emilio: As an abashed fan of the series (hey, I was an impressionable kid when it first came out) I have mixed feelings about that trailer.

Some of the stuff looks spot on, and other stuff looks like a C-grade Playstation title. I'm not saying that the Splatterhouse games are anything brilliant, but you're right: they seemed original in how moody and weird they were (although I'm just wondering if that's because I was a kid when I formed this opinion). 

In a perfect world of my own construction, it'd play more like Darksiders or Batman:AA, be set in a huge mansion and the surrounding grounds/sewers/lake, and it'd look like this. As it stands, that new one all looked overlit and too 1995-hyperactive to really stay to true to what I love about the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.