Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Split/Second

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Split/Second is an arcade racing game by developer Black Rock Studio. The game takes place in a made-for-TV city designed for destruction.

Is this game worth $9.99?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

So this game is on sale for $9.99 on PSN. I've read Ryan's review but I'm still on the fence. Does anyone know if people still play online? Should I not waste my time and get Hot Pursuit instead?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I don't know about the online, but Split/Second was really fun. I think it's easily worth $10.

But, if we're talking PSN racing games, Burnout Paradise is the way to go. But I'm going to assume you already have that.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

@MooseyMcMan: Yeah I played the shit out of Paradise. Amazing game, and the dlc was great too, but after 50+ hours I think I can go without seeing that game or hearing Guns N' Roses Paradise City ever again.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By iamjohn

It was worth $60, you jerk. >:(

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By JTB123

It's worth a lot more than that, but it would be a crime not to pick it up for that price.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By l4wd0g

The games single player has almost no replayability. For the cost of a little more than a rental, it's really hard no to recommend.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

Fuck, I just bought this from Amazon for $15.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Samaritan

It's a steal for $10. I feel like it was sorely unappreciated by most people and it's a shame because it's a terrifically fun game.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BionicRadd

is that Plus users only? I might get that for 10 bucks. it seemed fun enough

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RE_Player1

@BionicRadd said:

is that Plus users only? I might get that for 10 bucks. it seemed fun enough

Nope it's $10 for everyone.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By awesomeusername
    @msavo: I've played Hot Pursuit and Split/Second but I would prefer Hot Pursuit. Both of them are pretty fun games.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RE_Player1

I broke down and bought it. $9.99 is basically free...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@msavo said:

I broke down and bought it. $9.99 is basically free...

Great! You'll love it. It's like if Michael Bay made a game, but then all the actors and story were removed, so it's just cars and explosions.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Masha2932

Of course.  

If your getting this game for the singleplayer then go ahead. The game looks great and the minimal HUD helps highlight the action as you blow up the city around you.There are a variety of levels in the game and genuine 'OH MY GOD THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN MOMENTS' are plenty as you go through the campaign.However, the levels are rehashed towards the end of the game and you'll see the same set pieces again but you'll still enjoy the explosions and carnage.  In addition to normal races you can also participate in survival events where you dodge explosive barrels that are thrown at you as well as the usual time trial events. The game also supports splitscreen racing for the offline gamer.

However if you want to play online I suggest you get Blur instead, it has a better online offering. The problem with Split second's multiplayer is that its lackluster. There is no incentive for progression other than your race number improving as you win races. There is very little customisation (you can only change your car's colour) and there are very few unlockables if any. 

I haven't played Hot Pursuit so I can't compare the two but split second is definitely worth $10.

TheDaveMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheDaveMagic

I know this thread is old/dead but, I thought I would throw this in for the hell of it. So I go to gamestop and find a used copy and the case has a stranglehold price tag. So currently the game goes for around 15 bucks but this stranglehold tag is 3 bucks. Cashier was totally oblivious. So I scored a used Split/Second for 3 bucks and the disc was like new. Pretty awesome I must say.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@DaveMagic said:

I know this thread is old/dead but, I thought I would throw this in for the hell of it. So I go to gamestop and find a used copy and the case has a stranglehold price tag. So currently the game goes for around 15 bucks but this stranglehold tag is 3 bucks. Cashier was totally oblivious. So I scored a used Split/Second for 3 bucks and the disc was like new. Pretty awesome I must say.

Awesome, you scammed a store. Go you!

TheDaveMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheDaveMagic

@Lunar_Aura: It seems that way but, really, gamestop scammed themselves. Their employees are incompetent. They can't even put the right labels/price tags on their stuff. Not sure if you thought I put the tag on myself. That was not the case. I got the Split/Second case from the shelf and it was mislabeled.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Alright, whatever. I do shitty things and fully admit it when I do. But you can't say that you acted in good faith to get that discount, no matter how you wanna justify it to yourself. Yes, GameStop sucks blah blah blah I know and agree believe me. Doesn't turn an apple into an orange.

owen99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By owen99

Split second is well worth the money, has a really fun handling model

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.