Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Split/Second

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Split/Second is an arcade racing game by developer Black Rock Studio. The game takes place in a made-for-TV city designed for destruction.

Layoffs at Black Rock and Sequel Cancelled

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-05-lay-offs-at-split-second-studio-report#justposted    

Really, really not liking DI's new management approach... First it's the promising pirate's game, now this. 

S/S was flawed as hell but one of the most fun racers I've played in recent years. Was really hoping they'd have a chance to improve the variety/handling and powerplays in the sequel. Dammit. Totally bummed out with this news. Both Pure and S/S showed how incredibly talented these guys are, it's a shame to see that Disney clearly aren't letting them exercise that potential.
    trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By trace

That's really a shame. Split/Second is indeed a flawed game overall, but it has the best presentation of any racing game I've ever seen by far. The music and graphical style are utterly incredible, with an edgy and intentionally overwrought reality TV feel. I was hoping Black Rock would get the chance to capitalize on all that potential with a sequel, but obviously that's not going to happen now. Very disappointing, that.

Almost a year after the release of Blur and Split/Second, I never expected to see Bizarre dead and Black Rock on the verge of death. They both deserve better for their efforts and innovation.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SSully

I am ashamed that I never picked up Blur, but this game just didn't seem to be worth the money at the time. It sucks that so many games like this get left behind, but when money is tight, games are expeneive, and there are so many damn games out there, these kinds of things happen. I wish them the best of luck with their future job. Split/second had a great idea and the demo was pretty damn fun. I just wish it was better. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

Damn.  I played through Pure a few months and I had a blast.  I really hope they make another one, but with layoffs, that doesn't seem likely.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By scarace360

I blame that asshole Walt Disney for all this. Fuck that guy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.