Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SpyParty

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Apr 12, 2018

SpyParty is a two-player game about a sniper and a spy. The spy's job is to walk around a party and complete missions while pretending to be an NPC just like the party's other guests. The sniper's job is to identify the real person and kill him.

SpyParty Goes the Minecraft Route, Launching Paid Beta

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Former Maxis employee and outspoken developer Chris Hecker has received a steady stream of attention since debuting his independent creation, SpyParty, at GDC a few years back. Hecker has been showing off updated versions of SpyParty at various trade shows, including some fascinating-to-watch demonstrations at PAX, but the project moved one step closer to reality today, moving into a paid beta.

The paid beta (aka the Minecraft model) will cost you $15, according to Hecker.

"This will let you play the beta as much as you want as I update it over SpyParty’s development, and also get you a copy of the finished game when it’s released on PC," he said. "I still have a lot of work to do in figuring the details out, so this stuff could change, but $15 is what you should expect when you get your invitation."

Minecraft will transition from paid beta to final game in November. SpyParty isn't anywhere near that, with Hecker noting it's a "long way from the finish line," so a release date is the furthest thing from his mind.

If you'd like to sign up for the beta, head on over to the official SpyParty website.

No Caption Provided
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Former Maxis employee and outspoken developer Chris Hecker has received a steady stream of attention since debuting his independent creation, SpyParty, at GDC a few years back. Hecker has been showing off updated versions of SpyParty at various trade shows, including some fascinating-to-watch demonstrations at PAX, but the project moved one step closer to reality today, moving into a paid beta.

The paid beta (aka the Minecraft model) will cost you $15, according to Hecker.

"This will let you play the beta as much as you want as I update it over SpyParty’s development, and also get you a copy of the finished game when it’s released on PC," he said. "I still have a lot of work to do in figuring the details out, so this stuff could change, but $15 is what you should expect when you get your invitation."

Minecraft will transition from paid beta to final game in November. SpyParty isn't anywhere near that, with Hecker noting it's a "long way from the finish line," so a release date is the furthest thing from his mind.

If you'd like to sign up for the beta, head on over to the official SpyParty website.

No Caption Provided
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grissefar

Spy Party is Chris Heckers first game as an independent developer.

galfisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By galfisk

Huh?

Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zohar

Cool. But never really got into minecraft.  Just didn't appeal to me.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jking47

the link at the end leads to the minecraft page?

essi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By essi2

Shouldn't that be the Mount and Blade or Taleworlds model?

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By admanb

Ooooh... I could see myself paying for this.

FYI, your link to the SpyParty website actually goes to the Minecraft page.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm not convinced. It's a really interesting concept, but I don't like paying money when for all I know it could be complete trash.

Skrams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skrams
    @Grissefar said:

" dd "

Thank you for your contribution. 
    Weird I saw beta signups but didn't see about it being paid. Not a bad idea really since this game I see getting way more updates than something like Minecraft. Christ Hecker is constantly thinking of new ideas, maps, game types, etc. This should work pretty well for him. Get the base product out there and improve on it over time.

@MattyFTM said: 

" I'm not convinced. It's a really interesting concept, but I don't like paying money when for all I know it could be complete trash. "

Wow what. No.

Pretty great game actually for not even being done yet. 

Edit- Seeing more of these comments come in and I'm kind of surprised more people don't know about this. There was constant talk about it during PAX times and a lot of Game of the Shows I heard for it.

Sniper vs Spy
    But like CRAZAY.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Bollard
    @jking47 said:
    " the link at the end leads to the minecraft page? "
    Klepek's on the ball again.
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

hmm, 15$ seems a little steep when you think about what this game seems to be. Minecraft started to charge that when it reached a size that gave it almost infinite replay value.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

No way. $15 seems like it'd be too high even for the final product to me.

Tobli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tobli
    @essi2 said:
    " Shouldn't that be the Mount and Blade or Taleworlds model? "
    I first thought of mount & blade when that model was mentioned, but it's understandable why a more popular game like minecraft is used as an example
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grissefar
    @Skrams: np
    jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jtman54179

link leads to minecraft wiki page

roughplague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By roughplague

I've been following this game, and it's been getting super great impressions from people on shows, so eff it, 15$ for the full game, while getting updates minecraft style, and watching a game come into it's own, step by step. worth it for me =)

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#17  Edited By Soap

Was starting to think this project was dead, it's been so long since I saw anything of it.

Also not everything can be Minecraft and this isn't worth $15 to me, sad but true.
    abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By abdo

Funny how another one-man indie dev Andy Schatz, who's making Monaco, posted just a few weeks ago that he WON'T be going the "Minecraft" route and accept payment for early builds/alpha.

The irony here is that I'd pay to play unfinished Monaco right now, while I don't really mind waiting another year for Spy Party.

xcrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xcrox
    @essi2 said:

" Shouldn't that be the Mount and Blade or Taleworlds model? "

Shouldn't that be the Cortex Command model?    
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZmillA

sold, been waiting for this.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Skrams said:
    "@MattyFTM said: 

" I'm not convinced. It's a really interesting concept, but I don't like paying money when for all I know it could be complete trash. "

Wow what. No.

Edit- Seeing more of these comments come in and I'm kind of surprised more people don't know about this. There was constant talk about it during PAX times and a lot of Game of the Shows I heard for it.

Sniper vs Spy
    But like CRAZAY.
    "
    Buzz at a games convention doesn't mean it's going to be good. Plenty of games get a ton of talk at these events, but end up falling far short of expectations. And the uniqueness of this game only increases the chances of that being the case with this game. People have talking about the uniqueness of it, not the actual quality of the product. As I said, the concept behind it is really cool, and if it all comes together then the game will be awesome, but there is no guarantee that it's going to happen. It could fall flat on it's face and be terrible for all you or I know. I hope that doesn't happen, but I'm not going to be paying for it when it's still a very real possibility that it could happen.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NickL

I hope there is a quick look... I have not seem anything of this game

frythefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By frythefly
    Skrams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Skrams
    @MattyFTM said:
    " @Skrams said:
    "@MattyFTM said: 

Wow what. No.

Sniper vs Spy
    But like CRAZAY.
    "
    Buzz at a games convention doesn't mean it's going to be good. Plenty of games get a ton of talk at these events, but end up falling far short of expectations. And the uniqueness of this game only increases the chances of that being the case with this game. People have talking about the uniqueness of it, not the actual quality of the product. As I said, the concept behind it is really cool, and if it all comes together then the game will be awesome, but there is no guarantee that it's going to happen. It could fall flat on it's face and be terrible for all you or I know. I hope that doesn't happen, but I'm not going to be paying for it when it's still a very real possibility that it could happen. "
    You make it sound like the game isn't playable. It was. It's been playable at multiple PAX's and GDC stuffs. I'd compare it to chess but then there would be chess fanboys calling me out and no one wants that.
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZmillA

I just signed up

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I love supporting indie developers.

It's like paying money to make myself feel like a better person and getting a free video game as a bonus.
    CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By CastroCasper

I really don't know much about this game, but it seems like 15 bucks may be a little steep? Minecraft seems more open ended, like a sandbox. This game seems to have more of an objective, like figure out who is the bad guy by social interactions/body language kind of stuff. It seems like it might get a little old after a while. 

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By onarum

It looks like a very nice concept but I also feel it could get boring really fast, I'm tempted though, but I think I'll stay clear from this beta, when the game comes it'll probably be 15 bucks anyway so I see no advantage of paying for it now.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skrams said:
    Edit- Seeing more of these comments come in and I'm kind of surprised more people don't know about this. There was constant talk about it during PAX times and a lot of Game of the Shows I heard for it."
    I don't really see why its so unusual noone has ever heard of it, a lot of us only come here for news and there was 0 mention of it here.
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By ectoplasma
    @President_Barackbar: Without intent to be bitchy, giantbomb wasn't a very good site for news, at least until they bought Klepek.
    Skrams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Skrams
    @President_Barackbar: I remember it being talked about on thePAX  bombcasts but then again they might of not gone too in depth. Maybe its just me assuming most people here listen to podcasts and that the game would be known by now.
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By xpgamer7

I have no idea what to think of this. He's comparing his game to becoming like starcraft or CS but it also seems semi-fun. No way for now/

Poki3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Poki3

If they do want to go the Minecraft route that means they have to agree that their game will be PIRATED TO HELL.
    Seriously, I got a Minecraft copy from a friend who asked me to play on his server. I fell in love with that game and bought it after that. I bet that a ton of people that own Minecraft now are on the same boat as me. Half of my friends are too.
    Now tell someone at Maxix that they should let their beta be pirated. I bet they'd flip.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gaff
    @Poki3 "Former Maxis employee", maybe?
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#35  Edited By Brackynews

So now that there will be two games using this model, could we please get the Reviews tab reinstated on the Minecraft page? Y'know, for the user reviews that have been written? *plug* /shameless

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Marz

Doesn't minecraft let you try it for free?   This doesn't sound like it comes with a restricted free version, so why would anyone pay for it.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#37  Edited By Sin4profit
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " I love supporting indie developers.

It's like paying money to make myself feel like a better person and getting a free video game as a bonus.
    "
    that's the spirit!

@ectoplasma said:
    " @President_Barackbar:  they bought Klepek. "
    Bought and paid for. Buy the body, get the soul at half price!

I signed up, for $15 it's worth a look.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By phish09
    @MattyFTM said:

" @Skrams said:

"@MattyFTM said: 

Wow what. No.

Sniper vs Spy
    But like CRAZAY.
    "
    Buzz at a games convention doesn't mean it's going to be good. Plenty of games get a ton of talk at these events, but end up falling far short of expectations. And the uniqueness of this game only increases the chances of that being the case with this game. People have talking about the uniqueness of it, not the actual quality of the product. As I said, the concept behind it is really cool, and if it all comes together then the game will be awesome, but there is no guarantee that it's going to happen. It could fall flat on it's face and be terrible for all you or I know. I hope that doesn't happen, but I'm not going to be paying for it when it's still a very real possibility that it could happen. "

Very true.  Brink got a lot of buzz when people first started seeing it at conventions and getting an impression of the innovation involved...and look how that turned out.

Also, just because a game is indie doesn't necessarily make it good.  This game looks like it has an interesting concept to it, but where is the staying power?  I'd like to play it for an hour or so, but it just doesn't look like a game that I could spend months playing, which is kind of what it sounds like Hecker expects people to do.  Minecraft is a totally different kind of game that you can lose yourself in for days or weeks at a time. 

I hope this turns out to be good, and if it is I will totally buy it when it comes out, but I'm not about to bet $15 on it being good.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FesteringNeon

I love supporting free ideas. It's encouraging, and great to see! If I knew how to code, I'd be making a handful of games.

Tanstaafl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tanstaafl

Thanks for this bit of news, this is the first I've heard of the game and I'm sold.
    They'll have my $15

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By patrick
    @Marz said:
    " Doesn't minecraft let you try it for free?   This doesn't sound like it comes with a restricted free version, so why would anyone pay for it. "
    The beta.
    Skrams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Skrams
    @phish09 said:
    " @MattyFTM said:

" @Skrams said:

"@MattyFTM said: 

Wow what. No.

Sniper vs Spy
    But like CRAZAY.
    "
    Very true.  Brink got a lot of buzz when people first started seeing it at conventions and getting an impression of the innovation involved...and look how that turned out. Also, just because a game is indie doesn't necessarily make it good.  This game looks like it has an interesting concept to it, but where is the staying power?  I'd like to play it for an hour or so, but it just doesn't look like a game that I could spend months playing, which is kind of what it sounds like Hecker expects people to do.  Minecraft is a totally different kind of game that you can lose yourself in for days or weeks at a time.  I hope this turns out to be good, and if it is I will totally buy it when it comes out, but I'm not about to bet $15 on it being good. "
    I think the comparison of Brink is a bit out there. Brink was given 5 minute demos while this even had tournaments going on. I think this will be pretty popular for a while and with Chris Hecker always putting new ideas out there people will always have new maps and ways of playing the game. 

Also I understand how this can be compared to the Minecraft model but the fact people think that means it has to be an open sandbox to lose yourself in makes me sad.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Vexxan

15 bucks...maybe.

decibel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By decibel

I feel like I should be getting into Minecraft. Or Garry's MOD...or something.

ScipioAfro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ScipioAfro

Is that man being assassinated David Cameron? 

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xcrox: Sweet mercy I've been trying to remember the name of Cortex Command for months, thank you!
    demento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By demento

I signed up will probably buy the beta, it seems like a neat idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.