Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Square Enix

Company »

A Japanese video game company that is best known for the development of role-playing games. It is the result of a merger between two separate video game companies, Square and Enix. Its subsidiaries include Taito and Eidos.

Square to announce new console RPG in December & more.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

According to a recent kotaku article, there has been a leak from an upcoming famitsu interview with Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda. He says that an all new console RPG will be announced in December and that "from here on out" there will be more announcements of new games coming to various platforms (PC, smartphones, etc).

A new RPG from Square seems like something to look forward to.

Although this is a leak, we'll know if it's true within the week.

Report: Square Enix Is Making a New, Unannounced RPG for Consoles

The game's not a remake, it seems. And since Final Fantasy XV has already been announced, it's not that. So what could it be? If this Japanese game magazine leak is true, we'll know soon enough.

According to a supposed early Famitsu leak (via CS Blog), Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda apparently mentioned that the Tokyo-based game company was working a new role-playing game for home consoles. In Japanese, the word Matsuda apparently used was "kateiyou geemuki".

"Actually, right now, we are readying a new role-playing game for home consoles that isn't a remake," Matsuda is quoted as saying. "In December, we'll start with making an announcement."

There will also be other titles announced in the near future.

"To avoid misunderstanding, among the forthcoming titles that do not include the home consoles, there are also various games bound for smartphones and PC. There are titles studios outside Japan are developing, too."

"Starting early next year, I think we'll be announcing various types of titles," Matsuda said. "But at this stage, we cannot say which will be for home consoles or portables."

Matsuda said that from here on out, we can apparently expect more announcements.

CS-Blog points out that in December, there is the Jump Festa in Japan, so that could be an ideal time for an announcement. If not then, Square Enix could reveal the game at the PlayStation Experience in early December.

kotaku.com

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Bravely Default Thrii U, I bet.

Lucri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's gonna be called Another Disappointment. Its about a game that starts off really well with a ton of fanfare then it teeters off midway and disappoints you. :(

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

*waits five years for it to turn up on PC*

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they would defy everything and finally make Chrono Break, but I know the truth will only break my heart.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU TWO. IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING. No it's not

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's go Chrono *

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy XVI: The Long Drive Home

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm potentially excited about this. This gen is an absolute black hole for JRPG's and it makes me sad. We need more.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#10 sgtsphynx  Moderator

It'd be nice if it was either a Dragon Quest or Chrono game. Or an entirely new game not from any established series.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy Versus XV

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'd rather it not be a new Chrono game or a new dragon quest game. I'd really like to see Square make something brand new.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something either Bravely Default in name or something that plays that way. They finallly realized that changing all their games isn't working. They need to at least have something that feels like the old Squaresoft stuff. Bring back the memories of great RPG's from 10 years ago.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As long as its like an old school RPG I'd be game to give it a shot.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Deus Ex.

Nah, I dunno. But that's about the only franchise that Square Enix owns right now that I want a new game of.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Damn it Square! Just finish Kingdom hearts and ff15! Your killing me here! (I get that there are other studios that can do other projects. I am just venting my frustration with square).

Ganthet2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it is something good. The new Final Fantasy game looks nothing like a Final Fantasy game. More like Boy Band Wars or something. Where is the Fantasy in the Final Fantasy? They are driving a car around fighting monsters. Did Square look at GTA 5 and say, "That must be what gamers want. Let's make that with swords, magic and monsters. Sorry not for me. Oh well got games to play. Sorry for the rant, but I will be waiting to see what this is first before I get all crazy.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganthet2814: Well I mean FF games have had a sci-fi theme going on in theme for ages.

Do you really want them to be doing vanilla fantasy until the end of time? Because for me personally at least, the settings of the FF games felt tired out years ago.

If they have a brand-new IP and the characters are not designed by the guy who was doing the FF characters for years, this could be very exciting.

Or... Final Fantasy Tactics 2! Or Bravely Default 3!

Ganthet2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: The Sci-fi stuff is cool if done right. Look at FF13 the Series. That game was a bit of a train wreck. I for one would love a new Tactics game, or Bravely Default 2 and 3. Heck drop the FF series and move more towards the what Bravely Default did. I just like the fantasy settings. I played FF7 and disliked FF8, 9 was fun and 10 had it's moments. Chrono Trigger, or Legend of Mana type thing would be good as well.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganthet2814: I would argue that the setting was hardly the reason for XIII being a train wreck. Totally get you just liking the fantasy themed entries more though.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DID THEY NOT LEARN FROM THE PREVIOUS GENERATION ABOUT ANNOUNCING GAMES BEFORE THEY CAN ACTUALLY RELEASE OTHER GAMES?!?!

DO THEY WANT ANOTHER FFvs13 ON THEIR HANDS!?!?!

Had to get that out of my system. While a new RPG would be dope, I have no faith in Squenix at this point

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time, so let's hope Square Enix has something cool to show. I don't think they've quite figured out what it means to create RPG's in 2014, but that's not to say I can't have a little faith... or hope.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Jeust

Nier 2: Apocalypse. ahah

Ganthet2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ganthet2814

@zella: Yes there was a lot of bad in FF13. The combat system was about the only thing that was interesting. The story was kind of crazy and characters where less then good. I just can't see the FF15 doing that well when they put out Bravely Default and it sold really well. I mean that should have told them that they where going in the wrong direction. Also 5 pretty boys on a road trip is not promising for a game idea. Movie yes, game no.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I bet it's a CG trailer for a game that will never come out.

Either than or FFXV Kingdoms Nova Super Egito Cystallius Versus Default Tactics(1)(a) - Remastered.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

People want to shit on Square Enix, but Bravely Default and FFXIV are fantastic games. They've hit way more than they've missed. The 13 trilogy was a disaster, but that's 3 games.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Get hyped for disappointment!

While it would be great if this were a console based Bravely Default, FF Tactics game, new entry into the Mana series, a new IP, or any of the other good possibilities..

..it'll probably be FF13-4 or a F2P downloadable console experience or FF: The Spirits Within: The Game or something. They almost always manage to not do the smart thing, and instead try to make something that isn't what they are good at.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe its too early, but it could be that FF6 like project Uematsu said he wanted to make. That would be weird to go on consoles if its 16 bit, though, unless they're going to publish it on a snes cart.

whose_goose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a single chance of it being actually developed by Square. They are up their neck with XV and KH3 problems.

It's either from their western studio or outsourced from some small japanese studio.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Corevi

The World Ends With You Too? I'd kill for that.

If it's a Bravely Default sequel I will give up on Square completely.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just want to remind you folks before you get too overly excited that The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery were 2 square enix rpgs on consoles.

whose_goose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering gaming today I'll take Infinite Undiscovery over most stuff.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah, guys! Chrono Break or bust!

Woooooooooooooo!

I'm so tired these days. I think I'm getting old.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Title of the forum post is about a "console" RPG but same i would kill for TWEWY sequel. I think it will happen soon though. Nomura is also working on other projects.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Corevi

@corevi said:

Title of the forum post is about a "console" RPG but same i would kill for TWEWY sequel. I think it will happen soon though. Nomura is also working on other projects.

If it was for the Wii U it would work. Gamepad for bottom screen TV for top screen.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Would love that but i don't think it did well enough for a console release, i can only see it coming to 3DS.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't get why people would even want a TWEWY or Chrono game. Even if they released sequels to those games (which they won't) they'd just be shadows of their predecessors. I guess it could be a new Dragon Quest? It's been a while.

Whatever it is, I don't expect to play it for a long time. Square likes to announce their big games super early.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucri said:

It's gonna be called Another Disappointment. Its about a game that starts off really well with a ton of fanfare then it teeters off midway and disappoints you. :(

That statement is way more accurate than it should be.

whose_goose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not gonna be a new Dragon Quest. They already announced XI earlier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.