Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

How Are Your Thumbs Holding Up?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Seppli

With a small degree of shame and a great deal of nostalgia do I remember the first Tony Hawk's Pro Skater for PSX and how I played it 'til I had blisters on both my thumbs. I tend to push buttons too hard in such games. They make me tense up.

As per usual, whenever I become engrossed in a funsport game, my thumbs take some 'Battle Damage'. They are slightly sore and callused after 2 days of play, though I'm far from blistering. I'm not that tense anymore, nor do I play as much as way back when.

How about your thumbs? Y'all taking some SSX-related battle damage?

scinbed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By scinbed

D.

Index finger hurts from pushing RT too hard and too much.

Right thumb is getting to the same stage from pressing the face buttons more than is physically recommended.

Worst though, is the inside of my middle finger where the back of the controller digs in. Like, it aches, and is actually red.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PeasantAbuse

My thumbs are fine, I use the right stick for tricks. So comfy.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They're just kind of sore after playing for a while.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Sooperspy

@PeasantAbuse said:

iseemonsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iseemonsters

Not just thumbs, I also find I have sore patches on the palms of my hands where the bottom of the controller digs in when I grip it too hard.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By EmuLeader

@Scinbed said:

This. I mash down the RT like crazy. its worse than an FPS.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By eccentrix

@PeasantAbuse said:

I use the sticks and I've noticed my right thumb becoming sore.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By jacdg

@EmuLeader said:

@Scinbed said:

This. I mash down the RT like crazy. its worse than an FPS.

My only problem as well.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thumbs are fine, it's my thumbsticks that are the problem. I use convex thumbsticks because I think the 360 ones are trash. Of course the duder who sells the only actual good convex sticks that are designed for a 360 controller hasn't stocked them in over a year.

No Caption Provided
    BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BPRJCTX

@WilltheMagicAsian: Well, i guess opinions are bitch, because i think that convex sticks are the most illogical piece of crap ever made.

Played with the dualshock for years, and i can't count how many times i'd get sweatty hands, and had to fucking stop teh game, to wipe down the controller, cos my fingers would just slide off.

Funny thing is, the first Dual Shock ever made (it wasn't actually called Dual Shock, but it was the first PS controller with 2 sticks) had concave sticks, and then when they released the Dual Shock, they just decided it was fun going backwards.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By eristocrat

The spot on my thumb I use tp press A is pretty sore but no blisters or anything crazy.

HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HotSauceMagik

I'm peeling the rubber off of the left stick on my 360 controller because when I hold backflips, my fingernail digs into the lip. No soft tissue, or musculo-skeletal injuries yet though.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By mfpantst
    @WilltheMagicAsian said:

My thumbs are fine, it's my thumbsticks that are the problem. I use convex thumbsticks because I think the 360 ones are trash. Of course the duder who sells the only actual good convex sticks that are designed for a 360 controller hasn't stocked them in over a year.

No Caption Provided
    I need to take a picture of my onza razer's covers on my left stick.  Lets say you have a ways to go to get to the complete shittedness of my covers...
    Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BPRJCTX said:

@WilltheMagicAsian: Well, i guess opinions are bitch, because i think that convex sticks are the most illogical piece of crap ever made.

Played with the dualshock for years, and i can't count how many times i'd get sweatty hands, and had to fucking stop teh game, to wipe down the controller, cos my fingers would just slide off.

Funny thing is, the first Dual Shock ever made (it wasn't actually called Dual Shock, but it was the first PS controller with 2 sticks) had concave sticks, and then when they released the Dual Shock, they just decided it was fun going backwards.

I don't use them because I'm used to a dualshock, I use them because I use the middle of my thumbs to move the analog sticks, which just doesn't fly on a concave thumbstick. I never had a problem with my fingers slipping even with sweaty hands on a convex thumbstick, only on concave thumbsticks.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BPRJCTX

@WilltheMagicAsian: Well, that's why i said that opinions are a bitch, because, i can't for the love of me play well with convex sticks, i mean i can play a game on a dulshock no problem, but if i want to get serious or do somehing more difficult on it, and it uses the sticks...

Let's just say you don't want to walk up on me when that happens, cos there will be wet tissues on the floor, and i'll be sweating my ass off, and it'll just look bad...

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I've been destroying my wrists playing with classic control on a 360, but my thumbs are good. These are pro skater thumbs. Strong like bull thumbs.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By MachoFantastico

Ironically I've had severe hand problems over the winter, I have rheumatoid arthritis and my doc reckons I might have osteroarthritis in my hands. So it's been painful, but it goes to show how much I've been enjoying the game that I've ignored it for the most part.

Have to say, the classic controls don't suit the 360 controller for me, much prefer the new system.

rastaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rastaban

For me it's my left finger that's forming a slight callus. Somehow I think the harder I hold the left trigger, the less likely I'd be to fly off a rail. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's my index finger that starts hurting, from too much boosting.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By razkazz
    @CrazyBagMan said:

It's my index finger that starts hurting, from too much boosting.

^ This, so much this! I finally picked this up new for twenty bucks and it's totally exceeded my high expectations as an SSX3 lover, but damn it's killing my hands. Sorry to bump this thread but everyone must know my pain! I've been playing for the last couple days on 360 (default controls w/ face buttons) and my right index finger feels like it was beaten with a hammer in my sleep from boosting. Not even exaggerating, it's so brutal I had to do a search to see if I was the only one; glad to see I'm not? I'm really missing my soft, squishy PS3 controller but this game is too addictive to stop. :D

Any other recent buyers causing themselves severe but totally worthwhile amounts of pain on this thing?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.