Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

SSX skateboarding crossover?

SleepState

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SleepState

With the demise of the Tony Hawk franchise, more or less, and Skate being the reigning champion of realistic skating games (and current skating games in general, to my knowledge), it seems there is a gap in the marketplace for an over-the-top style skateboarding game akin to the old Tony Hawk games. I miss doing crazy tricks and finding weird shortcuts in an urban environment like in THPS3, for example.

I'm playing a bit of SSX currently and am impressed by the level of quality in general and the online integration. That got me thinking; could the SSX franchise crossover to skateboarding and pick up the slack from the Tony Hawk heritage? It seems like the dev (EA Canada) knows what it's doing in this type of genre and could pull off a change in setting, tweak the mechanics and make the SSX gameplay (in the broadest sense) work as a skateboarding game. They could potentially collaborate with the Skate dev (EA Black Box) to get the feel right. Whether it's even financially wise for the same publisher to release two (competing, to some degree) skateboarding franchises, I don't know or care, this is pure speculation on my part. But I kinda like the idea. It seems like the Skate franchise is dormant at the moment, anyway, so they would not be going head-to-head. Thoughts?

(Topic posted in General Discussion at first, before I realized this board existed)

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SexyToad

That's sounds like it would be an awesome game. Also I'll go ahead and pm the mods to get rid of the other one.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By shadows_kill

Only way I feel like it could work out amazingly is if the 2 franchises (Skate & SSX) did skateboarding in way different ways. Skate being realistic and SSX being crazy. Also they'd have to plan out releases and announcements (defiantly don't want them to release in the same time of the year MAYBE a spring & fall but preferably different years).

SleepState

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SleepState

@SexyToad said:

That's sounds like it would be an awesome game. Also I'll go ahead and pm the mods to get rid of the other one.

Yeah, wouldn't it?! Also, good call, duder.

@shadows_kill said:

Only way I feel like it could work out amazingly is if the 2 franchises (Skate & SSX) did skateboarding in way different ways. Skate being realistic and SSX being crazy.

Exactly. SSX is already so crazily over-the-top as a snowboarding game (compared to say 1080 Snowboarding or something) that if it was adapted to be a skateboarding game, it would be way different than Skate's take on the genre.

@shadows_kill said:

Also they'd have to plan out releases and announcements (defiantly don't want them to release in the same time of the year MAYBE a spring & fall but preferably different years).

Yeah, I would definitely prefer alternating years, kinda like Modern Warfare and Black Ops, I guess.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By monetarydread

Well its always a possibility. SSX was made by the same developers as Skate, and according to EA the definition for the acronym has changed to represent snowboarding, skateboarding, and snowmobiling. Though it might take a while since they are still working on releasing 8-player multiplayer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.