Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SSX

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

The sixth entry in the Snowboard Super X series that allows players to ride down real world mountains in dangerous weather conditions.

Why all the hate about the Rewind Feature in SSX?

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BPRJCTX

Ok, i have to say something about all the complaining the Rewind feature has been getting.

You guys, hardcore gamers, have been complaining about the Rewind feature in every game that used it, since it appeared, i could be wrong but i think it was in GRID, (Prince of Persia doesn't count, does it?! lol), saying it's a something only noobs use it, and all that.

Well now, i know ppl think the way Codemasters does it, it's the best way, where it's limited, and you just go back in time, and try it again (like Prince of Persia!!!).

But they actually tried something new with this game, and i think it's only fair what they've done with it.

In Race It you loose time going back, and everything keeps going, in Trick It you loose points, and in the Deadly Descents, it's limited.

It think it's fine, and it's fair, and there was no rewind feature last gen, so...

Would you rather not have it at all?

It's just something that it's there for ppl who just want to keep playing and not get frustrated.

It's not for ppl trying to become number one.

You hardcore guys, shouldn't even care about it...

Right?!

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gike987

@RiotBananas: If it was like SSX 3 you would still lose all your boost and be better of restarting the race. Getting the highest scores and best times will always require a flawless run no matter what you do,

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By NickL

The rewind can be annoying because it seems that sometimes actions you should have passed still happened. (Rewinding past a jump but still jumping anyways when you start again.)

With that being said, I haven't used rewind since the "campaign." But maybe that's because I want that gold medal and it is almost impossible to get the gold if you get into a situation that needs rewinding. (not sure if it is as punishing in trick it but i dont care about trick it)

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By xshinobi

This and NFS The Run imo shows that EA has no idea on how to implement a rewind feature. Codemasters on the other hand does it perfectly.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By sirdesmond

My problems with rewinding is that it is entirely pointless in a race situation, better to just restart the race (especially since most are like 2-4 minutes anyway). It's somewhat useful in trick situations, but you always have to rewind much further than it would seem and then it still plays back portions of the animations for commands you didn't enter post-command (you can even lay geotags after letting off the rewind button for a moment or two). Survival is the only place that it doesn't feel awkward (although it shares the problems with trick where you need to go much farther back than the actual point of your mistake in order to correct properly.)

Also, the whole "fall into a pit and we'll prompt you to rewind yourself and if you don't we'll go to a fail screen after a few seconds" thing is ultra-awkward.

I love the game, but this is one of its worse aspects in my mind (the other being moronic story elements).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

@RiotBananas: Even if you lose 100,000 points, that's gonna be a 20 million+ points combo anyway, so a rewind to prevent from having to redo the whole course isn't so bad. In the races it knocks out straight out of competition., which is bullshit.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By aurahack

People complain about everything because this is the internet.

However, I've seen a fair amount of animosity towards the Rewind feature due its glitch, not its actual use. Like in the demo, you can repeatedly tap the Rewind button to rewind without actually activating the feature, essentially letting you start a run over with no penalty. Some players are getting ridiculous scores by doing this and it fucks with the global events. The devs are aware of it, though, and it's being patched out.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By eccentrix

I just use it for getting geotags when I don't care about placing anymore.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Djratchet

It's not about being hardcore or not. The rewind pretty much destroys your odds of beating a drop if you end up being forced to use it. I'd rather have the old press select to whiteout and respawn option, while taking a boost penalty instead.

But in a game touting "Deadly Descents" ... You can see why they opted for the really bad rewind instead. Oh well. Maybe in SSX 2 or whatever they call it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

People complain because they have the ability to complain, what with the internet being available to everyone....

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Djratchet

@Vinny_Says said:

People complain because they have the ability to complain, what with the internet being available to everyone....

Also, airing valid complaints about things publicly helps make a better future product if the devs pay attention (and at least one person on the SSX dev team is listening to us on GB, sooo)

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Wraxend

I love just giving the rewind a quick tap so that it puts the game into slow mo for a few seconds.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Humanity

It's useless if you want to get good scores.

On the same topic you should be able to place Geotags in another way that doesn't use rewind.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By musubi

I don't "hate" it I just think its absolutely worthless.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Seppli

@Demoskinos said:

Indeed.

@MikkaQ said:

@RiotBananas: Even if you lose 100,000 points, that's gonna be a 20 million+ points combo anyway, so a rewind to prevent from having to redo the whole course isn't so bad. In the races it knocks out straight out of competition., which is bullshit.

Dude - if you crash, you don't get your combo counter back, which is worth like 20 millions at the end of a long drop like Serenity (and I'm far from being a top scorer). You keep your tricky state and score multiplier, which are worth zilch if you want to place high on the leaderboards. Hence it's pretty much worthless other than for preemtive rewinding. You cannot undo actual accidents. In races, it's obvious why it's retardedly worthless. It works for 'Survive It', because that's what's it been designed for.

@BPRJCTX:

Before we had rewinds, gaming had 'resets'. You fall off the track in a game? It resets you a second later. That'd work better for races for example. SSX's rewind mechanic fucks with the flow of the game, and in the context of 'being competitive' it's a worthless feature, since it doesn't actually undo anything. Restart.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Sooperspy

@Demoskinos said:

Basically this. If you end up bailing in a run, it's best to just restart the track over again.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

@Seppli: Yeah but if you go over the edge your combo doesn't get shattered, so you can rewind and keep going. It has it's use in Trick It.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By confideration

I spent a few runs just nabbing up geotags people planted in far off places using wingsuit and rewind. 

I appreciate the dual use - metagame, and something so my wife and kids can enjoy a few runs. 

It is indeed worthless in (serious) competition

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By TheMasterDS

It's useless in the sense that, outside of Survive It and really hard Trick It Maps with pits (very specific use case that) it's better to simply restart the damn mission. In a game where you can bail and feel like it was hardly your fault (say you were holding down boost while holding X to manual and pulled left trigger to try to grind an edge, went into the air and ended up doing a signature trick and bailing when you hit the ground a half second later) a rewind that is useless for making up for mistakes is just useless.  

Plus if you rewind into yourself winding up for a jump you jump when you resume, and if you try to jump immediately after you resume you risk accidentally using geotags (I've misplaced two 100,000 geotags that way),  and if you don't remind far enough you risk repeating the same mistakes over again. 

The problem with the rewind is not that a limited rewind is inherently wrong, but it's executed so poorly that it's not useful. My suggestion would've been to have a limit of 3 rewinds be universal and give a credit bonus at the end of events for not using rewinds.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By jaycrockett

Two reasons:

1. Rewind is useless for trick it and race it, for the reasons people have already expressed

2. You don't gain control when you let go of the rewind button, it plays forward about a half second. This causes me to bail into death pits multiple times as I forget to rewind past where I actually want to.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I pretty much only use rewind to grab geotags. It's very useful for that purpose.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By mesoian

@Seppli said:

@Demoskinos said:

Indeed.

@MikkaQ said:

Dude - if you crash, you don't get your combo counter back, which is worth like 20 millions at the end of a long drop like Serenity (and I'm far from being a top scorer). You keep your tricky state and score multiplier, which are worth zilch if you want to place high on the leaderboards. Hence it's pretty much worthless other than for preemtive rewinding. You cannot undo actual accidents. In races, it's obvious why it's retardedly worthless. It works for 'Survive It', because that's what's it been designed for.

@BPRJCTX:

Before we had rewinds, gaming had 'resets'. You fall off the track in a game? It resets you a second later. That'd work better for races for example. SSX's rewind mechanic fucks with the flow of the game, and in the context of 'being competitive' it's a worthless feature, since it doesn't actually undo anything. Restart.

Well said.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By kerse

The rewind is shitty because everyone else keeps going while you rewind, so during a race 1 rewind = you lost in the later parts of the game, thats why it annoys me. Its pretty much to the point where if I have to rewind in a race it then I'm just gonna restart the map. Also I have more than once sat there and rewound several times only to repeat the same jump cause I was holding down the jump button for the section before the jump.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.