Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stacking

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 08, 2011

A downloadable adventure puzzle game by Double Fine, set in a 1930s environment, where players control the world's smallest Matryoshka doll.

Who bought the Lost Hobo King dlc?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

I bought it since I got the original game for free. Overall is was fun but a bit too short. I beat the main story quest in 30 minutes and cleaned up all the trophies in another hour. Also I don't know about you but I thought the story was going to take a turn and your buddy was going to be king or something.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Yanngc33

I did! Been thinking about reviewing it. Thought it introduced some pretty awesome dolls but nothing more

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Zippedbinders

I quite enjoyed it, and for $5 its length was perfectly fine.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

That's just one of those games where I play through the entire thing, get 100%, then have absolutely no desire to go back to it. But for five bucks, I dunno, maybe I'll pick it up soon.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By 1p

Balls! I totally missed this.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wrighteous86

I was pretty unimpressed with Stacking, so I don't think I'll be getting the DLC.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mattbosten

Bought it yesterday, will play it tonight. The way it's going at the moment it seems to be the case that if a game's downloadable and made by Double Fine it's a must for me. 

Santa_8aby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Santa_8aby

While not without its charm, it seemed like a very overrated game.  Projects that come from Double Fine often get treated with kid gloves.  Tim Schafer, the imaginative designer he is, can make middling games, but you wouldn't know it from the coverage. 

RTS aside, I thought Brutal Legend was a criminally underrated game and felt the world was fascinating.  When it ended, it left me wanting to see more.  Such an interesting world and sense of adventure was ultimately hamstrung by the RTS element.  But I digress, I'm guessing that if you felt Stacking was great/mediocre, then the Lost Hobo King probably won't change that, no?

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Santa_8aby said:
    " While not without its charm, it seemed like a very overrated game.  Projects that come from Double Fine often get treated with kid gloves.  Tim Schafer, the imaginative designer he is, can make middling games, but you wouldn't know it from the coverage.   RTS aside, I thought Brutal Legend was a criminally underrated game and felt the world was fascinating.  When it ended, it left me wanting to see more.  Such an interesting world and sense of adventure was ultimately hamstrung by the RTS element.  But I digress, I'm guessing that if you felt Stacking was great/mediocre, then the Lost Hobo King probably won't change that, no? "
    Dude, I agree 100%. Stacking had some good ideas, but the writing wasn't up to their usual standard and it just seemed kind of... slow. There wasn't much to it, the puzzles were fairly simple and you didn't have much to do in terms of controlling your character.

I just finished Stacking and immediately went to Brutal Legend to find some of the hidden stuff I missed after beating the game (I'm doing that right this moment, actually). I loved Brutal Legend. Psychonauts was great, but this is my favorite Double Fine game, and I hate RTS games. I played it like a Zelda, and just used the headbang move to have my groupies circle around me during every RTS battle and completed the objectives myself.  If you get the right units following you, you can just run across the map yourself, melting faces and chopping heads and bring them to where they need to be. I had no trouble beating the game that way, and I loved it. I'm so disappointed we'll never get a sequel.
    Helgi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Helgi

I got this yesterday. It's a bit short but since it's only $5 I wasn't expecting it to be much longer.

Santa_8aby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Santa_8aby
    @Wrighteous86: Yeah, it's a shame that Brutal Legend 2 will never see the light of day, with a little reiteration, could have been the next big thing to happen to the adventure genre.  While the new generation of downloadable games are fun, I can't help but feel like Double Fine's days of making games like the highly touted "Psychonauts" or "Brutal Legend" are over.  You can't make games like that in the cute, bite sized portions of xbla releases.  All of Double Fine's games up to this point, good or bad, have been one-trick ponies.  Good on them for their new found financial success, but It would be refreshing to see them make a game with some level of depth again.
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By sixpin

I'm a big Tim Schafer and Double Fine fan - have been for a long time. I liked Stacking a lot. I purchased the DLC. And even though I've yet to play it I expect to enjoy it based off of my enjoyment of the original game content, just like Costume Quest.

Brutal Legend on the other hand, I'm not sure how anyone can like that game. It had a lot of things going for it in the beginning. I wanted to like it, I really did. I love Metal and the cheese factor that goes with it. I think that Jack Black was perfect for the part of Eddie Riggs. The opening sequence and first boss battle had me hooked. The problem with Brutal Legend is that it fell apart once you actually started getting deeper into the game itself. The combat was a little derivative of old 1990s adventure games, yet that wouldn't have even been bad if it hadn't been for the stage battle segments. Maybe I'd be a little less sour on it if I didn't feel like Double Fine pulled a bait-and-switch with the RTS thing, but they did and it ruined the game for me. Frankly, the stage battles made me want to set the game disc on fire. Brutal Legend was easily my biggest disappointment in games that year.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @sixpin said:
    "
    Brutal Legend on the other hand, I'm not sure how anyone can like that game. It had a lot of things going for it in the beginning.
    "
    I can see how people like it. I loved the hell out of that game up until they introduced the RTS-bit. While repetitive and a bit clunky, the combat was still fine for what it was and it was amusing. But that RTS-concept... That's where it fell into a pile of shit. For me, it was more about liking Brutal Legend for what it partially was. I loved the first part and am doing my best to blatantly surpress the memory of the RTS-bits.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By buft

I felt that stacking was a little overpriced and like costume quest i swore i would buy it on sale but i probably wont

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By sixpin
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    " @sixpin said:
    "
    Brutal Legend on the other hand, I'm not sure how anyone can like that game. It had a lot of things going for it in the beginning.
    "
    I can see how people like it. I loved the hell out of that game up until they introduced the RTS-bit. While repetitive and a bit clunky, the combat was still fine for what it was and it was amusing. But that RTS-concept... That's where it fell into a pile of shit. For me, it was more about liking Brutal Legend for what it partially was. I loved the first part and am doing my best to blatantly surpress the memory of the RTS-bits. "
    That's almost exactly what I was saying, except you can't really ignore the RTS part of the game. Beyond the first boss encounter that horrible mechanics rears its ugly head at every turn. Wondering around in the world was fine, but in order to actually progress at all the game required the player to subject themselves to the worst gameplay that it had to offer. That price was too high to pay for a game that I enjoyed otherwise.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @sixpin said:
    " @PhatSeeJay said:
    " @sixpin said:
    "
    "
    I can see how people like it. I loved the hell out of that game up until they introduced the RTS-bit. While repetitive and a bit clunky, the combat was still fine for what it was and it was amusing. But that RTS-concept... That's where it fell into a pile of shit. For me, it was more about liking Brutal Legend for what it partially was. I loved the first part and am doing my best to blatantly surpress the memory of the RTS-bits. "
    That's almost exactly what I was saying, except you can't really ignore the RTS part of the game. Beyond the first boss encounter that horrible mechanics rears its ugly head at every turn. Wondering around in the world was fine, but in order to actually progress at all the game required the player to subject themselves to the worst gameplay that it had to offer. That price was too high to pay for a game that I enjoyed otherwise. "
    Yeah! Which is why I never finished the game. It was just too terrible once that mechanic was introduced. But I still hold a fond memory of the game for what it was without the RTS bits. Becomes more a thing where you think back of the game and sigh because it was so good, yet it wasn't because of that one thing.
    bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By bkbroiler

I think the Stacking DLC is more fun than the original game, and I liked Stacking. The DLC has some very creative puzzles that really use the stacking gameplay well. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.