Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Citizen

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2021

A first-person space combat & flight simulation MMO inspired by the Wing Commander series of games.

Star Citizen Anniversary: Mark Hamill Edition

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have to say there is something awe inspiring about seeing your childhood hero come full circle in TWO of your favourite things at once.

PC Gamer interview

and you can buy ALL THE INTERNET SHIPS this week.

Also a fairly significant milestone has been reached with the persistent universe alpha 2.0 release going live to the PTU for a limited number of active testers. This means we will see 2.0 very soon if all goes well. @drewbert might be interested in checking that out when it goes to open access.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it going to be possible to just purchase Squadron 42 and not engage with all that other bullshit this game is doing? Because really that's the only part I care about.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This game isn't real. Not until I see vinny actually play it. Also are they seriously celebrating the anniversary of a game that isn't even out yet?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: Crowdfunding anniversaries are the new hotness.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Wasn't this supposed to come out like 2 years ago?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it going to be possible to just purchase Squadron 42 and not engage with all that other bullshit this game is doing? Because really that's the only part I care about.

No, but that doesn't stop millions of people from buying Call of Duty every year and only engaging with one half of the game or the other. As Squadron 42 will more or less contain every game play element short of trading that's in the wider game I'm not sure what bullshit your referring to.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: It isn't supposed to come out for two years, let alone two years ago.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

@nightriff: It isn't supposed to come out for two years, let alone two years ago.

It's almost as if large projects take a lot of time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ripelivejam

I like how forward theyve been about the development and how much theyve shown and people still think it will never come out. Now if it has issues upon release, that's a different story. But you can tell they're working hard on this.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mirado

@korwin said:
    @mirado said:

It's almost as if large projects take a lot of time.

It's their own damn fault for listing this thing for 2014 back during the kickstarter, but anyone who has dealt with Kickstarter projects before knows that they always run over on time, usually by a full year. I've backed close to 100 projects, and the average is actually closer to a year and a half, to the point where I just got an email for a shirt that I backed nearly three years ago.

If you add the usual video game delays that are more than likely in a project this size on top of that, I feel like another year and a half may be rushing it, and I'm hoping the pressure isn't forcing them to compromise. Now that people seem to be over the "They took our money and are using it to drive solid gold Veyrons that run on pure cocaine!" phase, people are getting into the usual "we want it now!" kind of angry that causes undercooked games to be crap on launch.

Anyone who is frantically slamming out threats on their forums needs to either wash their hands of this thing, or give them whatever time they need to create exactly the kind of vision they had in mind at the start. Any of this half-stepping that I see people begging for will only result in tragedy, and that's assuming it isn't already headed that way like any pre-release game could do on its own without these unique circumstances.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: Most likely yes. However the minimum cost ship package gets you both games anyway.

@mirado: I'm guessing there's a prerequisite on KS to state an ETA for the project. I guess they never accounted for project scope ballooning on the account of too much funding :P

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:
    @kevin_cogneto said:

No, but that doesn't stop millions of people from buying Call of Duty every year and only engaging with one half of the game or the other. As Squadron 42 will more or less contain every game play element short of trading that's in the wider game I'm not sure what bullshit your referring to.

I'm referring to people spending thousands of dollars on virtual spaceships and insurance and whatever else you do in this game. That doesn't happen in Call of Duty, so the comparison isn't really apt.

Do we really know with absolute certainty at this point that Squadron 42 is an entirely separate experience from Star Citizen? I'm not following the development of this thing that closely, so I may have missed it, but I haven't seen anything that confirms this. And when you consider that Star Citizen is most likely the part of the game where they're going to be earning their money, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were FOB-esque hooks that forces you to engage with it, or at the very least makes the game much harder if you don't.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: Squadron 42 is the single player, cutscene driven component of the overall Star Citizen package. It might contain co-op, but is otherwise separate from the multiplayer from what I've read so far.

The multiplayer itself was broken into two parts: the persistent universe that they run on their servers, and then the option to host such a separate multiplayer server privately (the scale of which is unknown, as I doubt you could run their full simulation on your own) in order for you to run whatever mods you like. I do not know if the latter is still part of the gameplan, but the idea was to make it very freelancer-esque, which had the option of private multiplayer servers built in.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'll allow myself to care about Star Citizen when it is an actual video game. Until then it's still a giant pile of money and promises that creates headlines whenever they get more money or make more promises.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: See this link.

This time-limited offer will end in 2016 when Squadron 42 becomes an item of its own.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I've turned the corner and believe this game will come out. Whether it lives up to its lofty promises and some peoples unrealistic expectations is another story.

All I know is an incredible behind the scenes book to be written about Star Citizen waiting to happen.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I still say this game is never coming out. Enjoy your garage module, suckers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.