Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Ocean: First Departure

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 27, 2007

Star Ocean: First Departure is a remake of the original Star Ocean for the SNES with revamped graphics, soundtrack, and added animated cutscenes for the Sony PSP.

Ever played any of the SO games before?

Avatar image for kingdomhearts93
    KingdomHearts93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By KingdomHearts93

topic says it all

I played, beaten, and enjoyed SO3 and played a small bit of SO2.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Tanuki

I only liked Star Ocean: The Second Story.  Actually, I think I enjoyed that game a lot.  Except for the combat, I don't like not having control.  I did own that Square Enix Star Ocean, Till the End of Time or whatever.  I did not like that game.... At all. 

KingdomHearts93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KingdomHearts93
    Tanuki said:
    "

I only liked Star Ocean: The Second Story.  Actually, I think I enjoyed that game a lot.  Except for the combat, I don't like not having control.  I did own that Square Enix Star Ocean, Till the End of Time or whatever.  I did not like that game.... At all. 

"
    I personally enjoyed it but I can see why some people including you don't like it.

BTW, are you planning on getting Star Ocean First Departure?  You might like it as the battle system is similar to SO2's
    Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tanuki
    KingdomHearts93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KingdomHearts93

S-E doesn't make SO, Tri-Ace does.  Also, SO games tend to have just as much focus on gameplay elements, if not more than, as on story.

EDIT: I read you blogs and from what I can tell, you prefer RPGs with dark, mature stories.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tanuki

Wow, I totally didn't notice Tri-Ace made Till the End of Time.  I usually notice those things... hahah.  Wow, now I really wish I didn't trade-in the Second Story.  All this talk of SO is really making me wanna play that game. 

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By danielkempster

I own Till the End of Time and I've tried giving it some time on a couple of occasions but haven't been able to get into it. Out of interest, is there a canon within the series? As in, does TtEoT follow on from The Second Story?

KingdomHearts93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KingdomHearts93
    dankempster said:
    "I own Till the End of Time and I've tried giving it some time on a couple of occasions but haven't been able to get into it. Out of interest, is there a canon within the series? As in, does TtEoT follow on from The Second Story?"
    You don't have to worry about that since other than some references to previous games as well as the fact that the games are in the same universe, there is no need to play the games in any order.  It might even be a blessing in disguise that you couldn't get into SO3 as there is a plot twist about 3/4ths into the game that some argue cheapens the experience of the series.  Not everyone thought it was bad though.  I thought the twist was somewhat interesting but could have been fleshed out a little more IMO.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Cerza

I've played all of em. The only one I did not like was SO 3, because the script and voice acting were criminally bad.

tgammet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By tgammet

I really enjoyed playing SO1 though I didn't get very far in SO2 and only played like 10 min of SO3. I'm dying to get my hands on these remakes. They're so pretty!

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By doe3879

The 2nd Story was my 1st RPG, which is the 1st game I bought for the 1st console I owned with the money I got from my 1st job. 
    not surprisingly, it's one of my favorite game.  I go back to it every now and then, like every few years later I think about it.  There's still so much about the game that I never notice. 

then the 3rd game came along...along with the most baffling twist I never witness.  Turn me off to the series completely, then the 4th came along and I just give up after watching videos about it.  I was interested at first but I only have a PS3. 
    The remake of the 1st and 2nd game re sparked  my interest again

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Vonocourt

Got a decent bit into Till the End of Time, but got tired as that game has no sense of pacing whatsoever. Did love taking out a giant Chicken by draining his action points with my inflamed sword though.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

I played one of them on the PS3, I have no idea what it was called though. I found it kinda boring. Uninspired, let's say. Which is too bad, because I'm a sucker for sci-fi RPG stuff.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Three0neFive

I played the PSP port of Star Ocean 2 and really enjoyed it.

Then I played Star Ocean 4. I tried to like it, I really did - but jesus fucking christ, that is a Japanese-ass JRPG. I still have nightmares of those creepy fucking dolls and their awful fucking voices.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlightConfuse

enjoyed the 3rd one a lot but yea it get nuts at the end

4th one was ok but got boring at times

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.