Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Any good? Looking for an MMO thats right for me

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm looking to get into an MMO. its been a long time (I stopped playing SWG in 05-06) and I've been hankering for that experience that only an MMO can give.

Thing is:

• I like customization.
    • I thrive for a world where roleplayers can unite. I don't feel right playing an MMO if there isn't a group of players acting out their characters (I'm a freak, obviously.)
    • I like having some type of social structure in my games (Whether its player cities, or at least a place players can hang out.)
    • I like doing things with other players, but I also like to have the ability to solo if I want.
    • I HATE medieval/magical fantasy settings.

I've recently started up an EVE online trial account. I haven't played a huge amount yet (maybe 8-10 hours so far) but I have yet to get that "hooked" feeling I usually get with an MMO. It feels like either I'm missing something to "get it" or It's missing something for me to fully enjoy. I'm going to give it a full chance, but I'm less than optimistic at this point.

That being said. STO caught my attention due to the sci-fi setting and the somewhat familiar world. I'm not a huge Trekkie, but I've definitely seen quite a bit (Watched every episode of TNG, own all the movies, watched all of Voyager, never got into DS9 or Enterprise) but I'm not a huge trekkie. Star Wars has also been my huge source of nerdom, but I do like Star trek and know a decent amount about its lore.

Would I like this game? what would it have to offer a player for me?

I've seen a lot of heavy criticism about the game at launch. Is it better off now than it was at launch? What are its major issues? or is it all blown out of proportion (note, I loved SWG. I'm willing to overlook gameplay flaws and bugs.)

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ShinjiEx

DC Universe Online 

Is all about customization powers skill appearance best I've seen in a game in general

Fun combat game play controls

Lots to do whether your a PvP or PvE player

The grinding to max level & doing missions is straight forward allowing you to have realistically multiple characters in your life time lol

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Loose

Your disdain of high fantasy kinda prevents me from being able to recommend anything. I have not played STO but I've not heard good things about it.

With all the money and hype going into SWTOR I'd say that it will probably be worth waiting for (assuming there isn't anything that you've seen about the game that's already turned you off).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thing is, I'm not very big on Superhero's in general, and I especially hate the DC Universe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Loose: Yeah my general level of hate for high-fantasy keeps me away from most MMOs lol.

SWTOR looks interesting, but honestly, while I'll play it, and hopefully enjoy it, I feel like I'm tainted by all the good things that SWG had that TOR simply won't. I hate the streamlined, WOW-styled experiences. Not because they are more user friendly (always a plus) but because they strip a lot of customization away from the player. the big thing I hate about TOR is that there are only 8 classes. It feels so limited. If I wanted to be limited, I'd play a single player game.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60
    @allworkandlowpay said:

@Loose: Yeah my general level of hate for high-fantasy keeps me away from most MMOs lol.

SWTOR looks interesting, but honestly, while I'll play it, and hopefully enjoy it, I feel like I'm tainted by all the good things that SWG had that TOR simply won't. I hate the streamlined, WOW-styled experiences. Not because they are more user friendly (always a plus) but because they strip a lot of customization away from the player. the big thing I hate about TOR is that there are only 8 classes. It feels so limited. If I wanted to be limited, I'd play a single player game.

There is more then 8 classes. Each of the base classes has 2 advanced classes which are your real classes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60: Its still 8 classes, just with two vaguely different advanced version of each class. it doesn't give you a lot of room for customization, and for a person who's ideal MMO gives you much malleability, its sad.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60
    @allworkandlowpay said:

@CL60: Its still 8 classes, just with two vaguely different advanced version of each class. it doesn't give you a lot of room for customization, and for a person who's ideal MMO gives you much malleability, its sad.

What? They change how the classes play entirely. They are completely different, each with their own set of talents. 

They aren't just a tree you put points into like WoW specs. They are entire classes you pick at level 10 or 15 or something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well let's look at Jedi Knight. You have Jedi Knight, and their specializations are Guardian and Sentinel. Guardian gets one lightsaber and can tank a little bit (keyword a little bit) better. the Sentinel gets two lightsabers and can attack a little bit (keyword a little bit) better.

That is hardly "completely different." That is the same with minor tweaks. Especially when you compare those 8 main classes + specializations versus the15 + professions in SWG, most completely different in playstyle and content, plus the near limitless combinations of all of those in between.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
    @allworkandlowpay said:

Well let's look at Jedi Knight. You have Jedi Knight, and their specializations are Guardian and Sentinel. Guardian gets one lightsaber and can tank a little bit (keyword a little bit) better. the Sentinel gets two lightsabers and can attack a little bit (keyword a little bit) better.

That is hardly "completely different." That is the same with minor tweaks. Especially when you compare those 8 main classes + specializations versus the15 + professions in SWG, most completely different in playstyle and content, plus the near limitless combinations of all of those in between.

So basically you just don't understand how MMOs play. and would rather just dumb everything down to. "He has 1 sword and tanks! and the other guy has 2 swords and attacks! So they clearly play hardly any differently" You could say that about anything. Hey, it's WoW. I'm playing a Warrior, I can hit things with my sword, but oh that's pretty much the exact same play style as a paladin, because he also hits stuff with a weapon. 

No, they play differently. Each advanced class isn't a talent tree like you apparently think, it's a different class with it's own talent tree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60: No, I just want more variety than French vanilla versus regular vanilla.

I've played various MMOs since I was 12. I've had under my belt: Anarchy Online, Ultima Online, World War 2 Online, Runescape,, Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, Dark Age of Camelot, Earth and Beyond, and briefly Final Fantasy 11.

I get the concept of how the characters play differently, but they ARE just minor variations. There are no crafting characters, no miners, no deviations from basic tank, healer, dps format that was popularized by WOW. I like more variety than that.

Besides the point, this is derailing the subject. I care about your opinion on SW:TORs class structure as I'm sure you care about mine. I'm asking about what games, based on the traits I'm interested in, that you'd think I'd like.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah. I used to play Runescape awhile back when it was all 2.5d. Was pretty neat, but it kinda wore off on me to be honest.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz
    You may as well just wait for the old republic.  Nothing against star trek online but that game was bad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Marz: That bad?

sharkeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sharkeh

They've made a lot of improvements to STO since launch and it's really a pretty good game now. The key thing I think you'll probably be into by the sounds of it is they added UGC (user generated content) so now any player can basically create their own missions/episodes and anyone can play them. This means that theoretically there is endless content. It also helps role-players like yourself create their own stories. There's also a fair amount of features that you can use to role play and fill out your characters background. They also completely changed a lot of the graphics and UI and completely changed the way ground combat works so you can either play like a normal mmo of enter "shooter" mode which it basically like an FPS.

From the sounds of it STO will have a lot of the things you're looking for so I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Nick

The Secret World looks like it might be cool, no idea when it's coming out though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharkeh: Wow. user-created missions? How does that work?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus
    @Hizang said:

Runescape!

Fuck off with your Runescape- Christ. 

...you know, I loved that character creator in DC universe online
    sharkeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sharkeh

They released the mission creation tools to the community. If you want you can check out Jupiterbroudcasting they have a good STO podcast with tons of info and you'll get a good idea about what to expect.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By dagas

Star Trek Online is alright, especially if you love Star Trek, but not great. The only requirement it doesn't fulfill is the player cities. It has a hub like any other MMO, but that's it.

• I like customization. YES
    • I thrive for a world where roleplayers can unite. I don't feel right playing an MMO if there isn't a group of players acting out their characters (I'm a freak, obviously.) YES
    • I like having some type of social structure in my games (Whether its player cities, or at least a place players can hang out.) NO
    • I like doing things with other players, but I also like to have the ability to solo if I want. YES
    • I HATE medieval/magical fantasy settings. YES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharkeh: I'm curious. Do you know if the online demo is like a 15 day trial, or just a tutorial segment of the game. I'm thinking of maybe giving it a shot, but I noticed that the website seems to make the trial sound more like just one mission and the tutorial, and that hardly gives me any feel of the game. Its only $10 on steam now. Pricey to just try a game out, but it wouldnt be the first $10 I wasted on steam.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas: I dunno if I LOVE Star Trek, but I definitely have a child-hood fondness for it. I'm not super down with the lore, but I watched enough Star Trek to know my Ferrengi from Klingon.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Second Life.

sharkeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sharkeh

@allworkandlowpay: You have unlimited playtime I think but you can only play the tutorial and the first mission, basically. You do get a feel of the game from it but I can't remember all the restrictions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharkeh: I may just buy it to try it now then.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Driam

I played a bit of STO and as previously stated, the only place it's lacking out of the five you're looking for is the social structure stuff. There are a few space stations where you can just hang out and do whatevs, but with the way the game is broken up into instances it always feels a bit empty even though the chat channels aren't necessarily broken up by instance.

And yeah, the trial thing is basically just the tutorial and first few missions, after which it won't let you move on. That said, if you're gonna try it out and want a wingman to roll with, I've still got a bunch of days left and would love to start over on a fresh character. I used to play it constantly teamed up with another role-playing dude I knew, but when we got to around level 40 he had to stop playing due to some military thing and now the 60-day card I got is just gathering dust.

sharkeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sharkeh

@allworkandlowpay: It's certainly not a game for everyone but from your first post it seems like you'll enjoy it. My favourite sci-fi MMO ever was Anarchy Online. It had a great in-depth crafting system and really fun gameplay but I don't know if it would hold up if I played it now. I miss being a metaphys though and controlling 3 pets at a time. I wish an MMO would let me do that again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Driam: If I do it I'll give you a heads up. I may want to give EVE more time, but as of now its just not hooking me in.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By coakroach
    @CL60: Seriously dude, do you work for bioware? 

@allworkandlowpay: Anarchy Online wasnt my cup of tea, but its got some crazy community stuff (I guess like most MMO's) if you dig deep enough and its free
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Hizang

Runescape?

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharkeh: Watching that almost made me re-install the game, I haven't touched for over a year now, that new shooter mode seems quite different to what I had the contend with in the past. The one thing that stops me going back is lack of community.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I played through the demo, I actually really liked it. It gave me a SWG feel, with both the good and the bad. I bought the deluxe edition, I'll give it a shot for a month to see how it is.

Anybody that wants to play with me, my Cryptic username is: Captains_Lager

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @allworkandlowpay

You still playing it?

I think they've done quite a lot with it for the better.  The "social" areas have
    gotten better. I think they have one for the Federation, the other for Klingons.
    New shooter mode, better PvP, & pretty soon they'll have some sort of bridge
    officer system where you can send these BOs off on missions.  It's separate
    from the existing BOs that are part of your Away Team, sort of like a collectable
    card game.

The only thing still irksome about the game to me is that they didn't put in all
    the puzzle activities they planned.  I looked at a thread that had about 5-6 
    different puzzles & the only one they put in was the scan puzzle for scanning
    anomalies.  Also, the harder difficulties are too hard, turning it into a grindfest
    where you die again & again against the boss/tank starships.  I like the features
    of the harder difficulty settings that  penalize death with negative modifiers to
    ship, crew, or captain & having to use items to repair that or head back to 
    starbase for repairs/healing (technically you should be able to heal yourself
    in your own starship in sick bay).

I've setup the game to work with the 360 controller in Space & Ground.  However,
    if I go a long time without playing, I sort of forget my settings. I need to printout a
    diagram I guess.  But overall, I feel the game is really improving.  As a casual MMO
    player, it seems to be taking me forever to level up which means that there is a lot
    more content than there was at launch & the level-up is a slower pace which is 
    also good.

I also think STO likely poached a lot of EVE customers, but I hope that STO doesn't
    bottom out when TOR is released.  More than likely STO has bolstered itself to 
    try & withstand the TOR wave.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.