Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Captain's Blog Entry: Stardate 26/01/2010, "To boldly go..."

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By Hamz

The USS Luchadeer continues its mission through the Internet Quadrant, to boldly go where no Hamz has gone before. To seek out new memes and discover new levels of fail and win. Our primary mission to record and categorise new information for the wiki database so that future generations of the Space Neon Lobster race may learn from what we find.....

Alright enough with the poor Star Trek roleplaying. If you haven't guessed it by now (you truly are a slowpoke if you haven't) I've been playing a bit of the Star Trek Online open beta thanks to a generous member of the staff here at Giant Bomb who provided me a key when all seemed lost.

It's a beta and the nature of such a thing is designed primarily for server stress testing more than showing what the final product will be like. That being said to all the apologists out there do keep in mind a beta is also one of the few ways to actually get your hands on an MMO without either buying the game or waiting an untold length of time until a free trial is handed out. So don't hate me too much for the things I'm about to say! 

My general feeling after playing the beta is that Star Trek Online has been rushed into an early February release. The game does not strike me as being released in a state that could be considered 'finished' by any means. It lacks a lot of depth that most MMOs have and the content shown during the beta feels extremely shallow. What there is in the game felt great for the first few hours until I begun to realise that is pretty much how it continues for the foreseeable future time playing the game.

The game just doesn't feel worth the money you would be expected to pay each month in order to play compared to the same price you pay each month in order to play other MMOs out there that provide vastly more content and depth to be experienced. All throughout my time playing the STO beta I kept thinking back to Guild Wars and how similar both games feel yet how GW managed to be free to play and maintain lasting appeal by actually providing substantial content in Prophecies at release alongside the expansions released later down the line. We'll have to see when and if Cryptic release a free trial if they manage to produce enough content later down the line to make me feel the game is worth that monthly subscription or not.

All the negativity aside I do want to mention a few quick bullet points of things I found enjoyable about the game.
    • Gorn throwing rocks during a planet side fire fight. Quite possibly the best thing to randomly occur during an away mission, me versus the rock throwing Gorn.
    • Tribbles. Everything about them from the adorable purr they make when petted to the fact they'll multiply and fill up your ship's cargo space in a short space of time.
    • The main menu music in STO is very much Star Trek inspired and sounds great. The battle music also has a nice epic feel too it during an intense space fight that gets the blood pumping.
    • Ship selection, variety and customisation is really well done. Allowing you to pilot iconic classes of vessel while mixing it up by customising parts of vessels together to create a unique looking ship is indeed a lot of fun to be had.
    • Having a Klingon captain decide to use the "Today is a good day to die, prepare for ramming speed!" phrase and actually ram your ship is both hilarious and amazingly devastating to shield power and hull integrity.....

Also on a sidenote to the fine folks who joined the Space Neon Lobster fleet during the beta. Bravo ladies and gentlemen, bravo. Finest group / guild I've been apart of in an open beta for a long, long time. I just hope those folks who decide to carry on playing once the game is officially released do continue the great work of the Space Neon Lobsters by unison dancing in the Starbase, tribble farming in the fleet bank and using terms such as "Oscar Mike", "Roger" and "Mayday! Mayday!" during team / fleet actions in-game.

"Im about done with this bitch!"

Next time on Captain's Blog!
    •  Darksiders and how I've managed to spoil the ending of that game for myself (before actually finishing it) without reading up on any spoiler material!
    • Prototype and why it is way more fun to whipfist a bitch on the street than it is to listen to a bitch moan on and on about Gentech!
    • How life begins to fall apart when your computer begins to die on you!

Till next time folks :)

Hamz, XOXO!
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hamz

The USS Luchadeer continues its mission through the Internet Quadrant, to boldly go where no Hamz has gone before. To seek out new memes and discover new levels of fail and win. Our primary mission to record and categorise new information for the wiki database so that future generations of the Space Neon Lobster race may learn from what we find.....

Alright enough with the poor Star Trek roleplaying. If you haven't guessed it by now (you truly are a slowpoke if you haven't) I've been playing a bit of the Star Trek Online open beta thanks to a generous member of the staff here at Giant Bomb who provided me a key when all seemed lost.

It's a beta and the nature of such a thing is designed primarily for server stress testing more than showing what the final product will be like. That being said to all the apologists out there do keep in mind a beta is also one of the few ways to actually get your hands on an MMO without either buying the game or waiting an untold length of time until a free trial is handed out. So don't hate me too much for the things I'm about to say! 

My general feeling after playing the beta is that Star Trek Online has been rushed into an early February release. The game does not strike me as being released in a state that could be considered 'finished' by any means. It lacks a lot of depth that most MMOs have and the content shown during the beta feels extremely shallow. What there is in the game felt great for the first few hours until I begun to realise that is pretty much how it continues for the foreseeable future time playing the game.

The game just doesn't feel worth the money you would be expected to pay each month in order to play compared to the same price you pay each month in order to play other MMOs out there that provide vastly more content and depth to be experienced. All throughout my time playing the STO beta I kept thinking back to Guild Wars and how similar both games feel yet how GW managed to be free to play and maintain lasting appeal by actually providing substantial content in Prophecies at release alongside the expansions released later down the line. We'll have to see when and if Cryptic release a free trial if they manage to produce enough content later down the line to make me feel the game is worth that monthly subscription or not.

All the negativity aside I do want to mention a few quick bullet points of things I found enjoyable about the game.
    • Gorn throwing rocks during a planet side fire fight. Quite possibly the best thing to randomly occur during an away mission, me versus the rock throwing Gorn.
    • Tribbles. Everything about them from the adorable purr they make when petted to the fact they'll multiply and fill up your ship's cargo space in a short space of time.
    • The main menu music in STO is very much Star Trek inspired and sounds great. The battle music also has a nice epic feel too it during an intense space fight that gets the blood pumping.
    • Ship selection, variety and customisation is really well done. Allowing you to pilot iconic classes of vessel while mixing it up by customising parts of vessels together to create a unique looking ship is indeed a lot of fun to be had.
    • Having a Klingon captain decide to use the "Today is a good day to die, prepare for ramming speed!" phrase and actually ram your ship is both hilarious and amazingly devastating to shield power and hull integrity.....

Also on a sidenote to the fine folks who joined the Space Neon Lobster fleet during the beta. Bravo ladies and gentlemen, bravo. Finest group / guild I've been apart of in an open beta for a long, long time. I just hope those folks who decide to carry on playing once the game is officially released do continue the great work of the Space Neon Lobsters by unison dancing in the Starbase, tribble farming in the fleet bank and using terms such as "Oscar Mike", "Roger" and "Mayday! Mayday!" during team / fleet actions in-game.

"Im about done with this bitch!"

Next time on Captain's Blog!
    •  Darksiders and how I've managed to spoil the ending of that game for myself (before actually finishing it) without reading up on any spoiler material!
    • Prototype and why it is way more fun to whipfist a bitch on the street than it is to listen to a bitch moan on and on about Gentech!
    • How life begins to fall apart when your computer begins to die on you!

Till next time folks :)

Hamz, XOXO!
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

It's "Oscar Mike", not Mark. =P I think I was a big contributor in causing a bunch of that ruckus, as my handle was "iAmOscarMike" and was naturally shouting out "Oscar Mike" whenever it was appropriate. Or the MMO setting was just fitting for us to gun for military terms.

But yes nice writeup. I agree with some of the things you say. The game certainly has its faults, but there were some certain moments that made it feel very awesome and or fun. A lot of it was from the unison of the SNL fleet.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

Having a Klingon captain decide to use the "Today is a good day to die, prepare for ramming speed!" phrase and actually ram your ship is both hilarious and amazingly devastating to shield power and hull integrity.....

When does this happen? (gargh, how do i get out of this quote box?)

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Red12b

Bullet points <3 

Good blog, can't wait for your darksiders one, 

After those rentals go back, What are you getting?
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By lockwoodx
    That logo is epic
    Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Time_Lord

Ahh the digital age we are slaves to the machines.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By sweep  Moderator

make it so :D

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8  Edited By gbrading

The Space Neon Lobster fleet bank is just great. An entire tab devoted to collecting different colours of Tribbles. :P Good fun. Best mission: Where you must travel back in time and fight alongside the original series USS Enterprise. I really enjoyed the plotline there.
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Tireyo

You are just too funny.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hamz
    @Meteora: Haha I edited it out last night, that's what I get for blogging while texting a mate called Mark. I think the most fun I had in the beta was genuinely down to the SNL crew and the sheer hilarity that ensued when playing and conversing with them :)

@Shirogane: I think it could have been "The Ultimate Klingon" mission. I just remember destroying a klingon fleet, beaming down, going through the facility, beaming up to my ship and facing off against the Klingon captain. About the time I got his hull integrity to 50% he hailed my ship and used that phrase, before promptly ramming me. I'm fairly certain players will get to learn a 'Ramming Speed!' skill toward the higher ranks in the game.

@Red12b: I'm hoping that LoveFilm send out AC2 so I can play through the PS3 version and add the game to my Trophy List, that and I'd just like to replay it again. First time I played it on a 360 over the festive season.

@gbrading: USS Exeter > USS Enterprise

@Tireyo643: <3
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hamz
    @PeasForFees: I haven't committed to anything right now, still shopping about. Apologies for not actually getting back to you about your suggestions. I looked over the parts you proposed and personally I found nothing wrong with them, seemed like some solid component choices. Especially the Asus case. I appreciate your time spent coming up with the various components, I genuinely do. And like I said I haven't got anything against them, seems like a perfectly reasonable build to me within my budget. Except for the fact I don't have the time or enthusiasm to build a computer right now which is why I've been looking at pre-built factory systems and the odd site that builds a computer for you based on personal specifications. 

I feel like a bit of a dick for wasting what I imagine was a bit of time you could have spent doing something for yourself, but in short I won't be getting the Zoostorm or building a new system myself. What I have done however is keep a list of the parts you've suggested to compare against other systems I find online.

Again thanks for actually taking time to create that list and sorry for the late reply :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.