Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Is this game good for someone that likes going solo?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I am a pretty big fan of Star Trek (minus going to Trek conventions, and dressing up in cosplay), so playing a Trek game where I can explore the Trek universe sounds very appealing to me. I am most interested to know if the PS4 or, Xbox One versions are any good in that sense? I know it's free, and I know it's an MMO, which is generally not something I'd want to get into, but I'd like to know whether it's even worthy of spending the time downloading to check it out. It just came out today unbeknownst to me until a few minutes ago... Maybe I should download it. I'm still curious though. Has anyone played it on consoles yet? If so, how is it? How is the PC version?

(mod edit: user has since played the game, see post 9)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've played this incarnation of the game,the of version had auto grouping for some space combat sections even some ground sections. I'll have to check it out as the space combat is very good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't edit on my phone. Should have said I Haven't Played this version!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've yet to reach max level in STO, very casually playing on PC for a while, but it seems very solo-able. For the most part it seems designed for solo play in the storyline missions and then it mentions the group-focused area but you dont need those to get to the next story or to get the gear for stories.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I've not played in years but when I did I always played solo. However there isn't really an interesting story. You have some cameos from major and minor characters that you will recognize if you are a trekkie. But if you are looking for a good story like the TV show then you will be dissapointed. The combat gets booring after awhile too. They constantly add things and they might have improved it since I played but I vastly prefer SWTOR over STO despite loving Star Trek more than Star Wars.

tbk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dabbled with it the last few weeks on PC and my Federation captain lady right now I am around level 30 and died like twice or thrice in space, so I think you can play it solo, no idea how it scales if you crank up the difficulty though.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that it's out on consoles (and free), I'm definitely going to check it out. It's good to hear that it's playable alone.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Blackout62

Well I certainly got away with soloing it to the level cap back when that Romulan expansion was released so as far as I know it is doable but I hit a wall after the level cap somewhere in the Delta Quadrant.

I've enjoyed my time with the game though, even if most of it was just figuring out the composition and backstory for my perfect Bridge Crew.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for a couple of hours just now. The game is better than I was expecting, but aspects like gun play and visuals are sub-par. The ship combat is neither boring, nor really that fun; it's okay. The combat on ground feels like a spin on Mass Effect's gameplay, but worse. Honestly, it wouldn't be as much of an issue if the game didn't look like an original Xbox game (I'm thinking Advent Rising quality), and the auto-aim is way too lenient, with an ugly, over-sized reticle, though it kind of reminds me of KOTOR in a way. The game does very much feel like it can be played solo. The voice work is better than I was expecting. It seems like they put more care into it than I thought they would, and the characters aren't terrible (I'm actually surprised that there are even characters in it like this). I think when it comes to story, the thing it'll latch onto is the history of Trek, and what fans remember (running around the Academy, they mentioned Boothby just after I had thought 'I wonder if Boothby is here'), as well as just different scenarios, like battles between different species, kind of standard fare stuff; not so much the way Star Trek reflects on our own world issues, which again, I didn't expect though. It's okay, enough so that I'll keep going with it for now.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@ntm: Well, it's a very old game that was hardly top of the line graphically when it came out. Enjoy it for as long as you can, but eventually it will test your patience too hard with its obtuse mission designs. The most fun I ever had in it were with a group of friends playing the space encounters, but solo, those are a bit too dry and repetitive. That said, it is still (sadly) one of the best implementations of space capital ship combat out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bill_mcneal: Oh snaps is it out now? Last I read it wasn't out on consoles until late fall. I need to check this out

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.