Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

New Video Card for ST Online

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Monopolized

I am currently using the ATI Radeon x700  and I am unsure where I can find a video card that is good enough to run this game..and preferably cheap if anyone can help

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

Define cheap? Also, you'd need to know whether your motherboard has either APG or PCI-E slots. If you don't know which it has, download CPU-Z and it'll give you the rundown of your whole machine.

brainwins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By brainwins

Also check this thread.
    There seems to be a problem with some nVidia cards. Including mine.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Monopolized

like 150.00 and I am downloading now

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Monopolized

and  PCI-E

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Jiggah
    @brainwins said:
    " Also check this thread. There seems to be a problem with some nVidia cards. Including mine. "
    The BETA was stuttering on my GTS 250, but after updating to the latest drivers that went away.

For 150.00, you can grab the ATI 4870 or the Nvidia GTX 260.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Driadon

Here, I'll save you $50. This card will max out, or nearly max out, anything on the market granted you have a dual core processor.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Monopolized

Pentium D ... which kind of sucks.. but I am not sure if I have the money to buy an whole new setup

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By DukeTogo

My rule of thumb with vidja cards is always buy the ones that are around $200 on the various Pricewatch sites.  Even if you don't keep up with the specifics of the technology and chips, you're getting what was the top end 6 months ago, and is now mid-range and will play anything out there for the next few years - if the rest of your rig is reasonably good.  The only risk is in specific game issues and if your system can handle the size/power needs of the card.   So you still need to do a little research, but it's pointless to learn everything about the current tech when buying a component, since in 6 months it will have changed and you'll have to do it all over again.

I used to build my PC every few years, but it got to be such a pain when CPUs changed their entire naming structure, memory became a new set of consonants and speeds, and even things like bus speed and mobo chipsets changed.  It gets annoying to re-learn that stuff every few years, so now I just buy a new PC every new version of Windows.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Monopolized

I just want to be able to play star trek online I will upload my whole system if you would like.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Driadon
    @ConfusedSanity: I have a friend that uses a Pentium D for gaming and it works surprisingly well, only games that give him problems are either badly coded (see Crysis) or are heavy in the physics department (once again, see Crysis). It should be more than enough for Star Trek Online
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By lockwoodx

I'm using an Nvidia GTS 250 1gb and it runs STO perfectly. I'd say go with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.