Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Perfectly Nerdy - Naming Conventions

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By Rasgueado

It isn't perfect... but I'm almost totally happy with my starship name and registry number in Star Trek Online. The only thing that makes the number not perfect is the fact that there needs to be a 9 at the beginning... otherwise, it's almost a perfect music reference in both cases of the text name and number name. 

Title: USS Montgomery 
    Reg #: NCC-936251 

I haven't had much of a chance to check out a lot of other player created ships yet, but I get the impression that many of them aren't well named. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't come across too many, "USS Creamofsomeyounguy." 

The game itself seems alright so far. I haven't been able to delve too deeply into it as actually logging in to play seems to be something of a challenge at the moment. It seems crazy that they aren't able to ensure that everyone that has bought that game can log in and play, but hopefully they'll have that worked out soon. I'm also hoping they won't start counting the free month until they have stabilized that issue. In short... it's pretty neat, and I hope they keep supporting the game going onward.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Rasgueado

It isn't perfect... but I'm almost totally happy with my starship name and registry number in Star Trek Online. The only thing that makes the number not perfect is the fact that there needs to be a 9 at the beginning... otherwise, it's almost a perfect music reference in both cases of the text name and number name. 

Title: USS Montgomery 
    Reg #: NCC-936251 

I haven't had much of a chance to check out a lot of other player created ships yet, but I get the impression that many of them aren't well named. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't come across too many, "USS Creamofsomeyounguy." 

The game itself seems alright so far. I haven't been able to delve too deeply into it as actually logging in to play seems to be something of a challenge at the moment. It seems crazy that they aren't able to ensure that everyone that has bought that game can log in and play, but hopefully they'll have that worked out soon. I'm also hoping they won't start counting the free month until they have stabilized that issue. In short... it's pretty neat, and I hope they keep supporting the game going onward.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Talking about ship names, I haven't played it yet since I can't afford it yet, but I've been thinking about what I want to name my ship when I do get the game. My favourite ship name in Star Trek fiction is the "USS Crazy Horse", which is an excelsior class ship which appears once in The Next Generation, and is mentioned another couple of times in TNG and DS9. It's an absolutely fantastic name for a ship, I love it, so I want to do something along those lines for my ship in STO, so it's going to be the USS *Descriptive Word* *Animal*. I was thinking the "USS Rampaging Sheep", but I dunno. I'll have to keep thinking about it.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rasgueado
    @MattyFTM: why limit yourself to animals? Why not the USS Angry Salad?
    Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Galbrezu
    @MattyFTM: Crazy Horse was a man, he fought at the Battle of the Little Bighorn, I would love to see the USS Rampaging Sheep flying around regardless :P.

Anyways, currently flying the:

USS Warwick 
    Modified Shi'Kar Class Light Cruiser
    NX-93569-A
    (I'll update this later when I'm not at work and can look up what registry number i have)

Once I hit 10 I'm gonna be flying the:
    USS Polaris 
    Constitution Class Cruiser
    NX-Something-B
    (I'll update this later when i get my ship and gets assigned a random registry number :P)

After that don't know what I'm going to call my Stargazer class ship.

Edit: Typo
    Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Galbrezu
    @Rasgueado: Honestly for the most part the game has a lot of decent ship names floating around, though I've seen the USS Dark Star or DarkStar or darkstar and a million other variants of Dark Star for some reason. Can't explain that one, but swear I grouped with at least 2 different Dark Star's yesterday and saw 2 or 3 more just flying around sector space.
    Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rasgueado
    @Galbrezu: Dark Star was a movie that was released by John Carpenter. It was a pretty weird sci-fi movie that had a sentient bomb as a character in the story.  One of the better ideas was the where they have to try and convince the bomb to go against its own nature and not detonate. 

Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Galbrezu
    @Rasgueado: Shit, I've actually seen that movie, totally didn't make the connection though.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By lockwoodx

I want those 2 minutes and 26 seconds back of my life.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Rasgueado: You forgot to mention it also had a beach ball for an alien.

Also, here's a homage to it, made on a C64:

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Impossibilium
    @Galbrezu said:
    " @Rasgueado: Honestly for the most part the game has a lot of decent ship names floating around, though I've seen the USS Dark Star or DarkStar or darkstar and a million other variants of Dark Star for some reason. Can't explain that one, but swear I grouped with at least 2 different Dark Star's yesterday and saw 2 or 3 more just flying around sector space. "

There are a lot of people who "think" they have a decent ship name ... until you get 15 USS Normandy's and USS Serenity's floating by.

I wish they would lock down the ship names. If somebody comes up with a good name they should get to keep it. Whenever I'm in game it's the ship I look at to see if I recognize a player, then you have to try and remember if the captain's name was the same too. Which isn't easy when some of them are T'kupip and Fl'pinisf and Dave.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the U.S.S. Siren unoriginal? :P

Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Six

did you read the rules they have for naming characters and ships?  some of it makes sense.
    you can't use Enterprise but you can do ENTERPRlSE with lower case L. unless they punish you for such things.
    you aren't allowed to use some people's names either... or religious figures.  

people could name their ships after Brad if they go flying into their deaths very often.

of course it would be funny to see everyone in Space Neon Lobsters in a big fleet action where everyone was flying the USS GiantBomb...  once. 
    And the USS Jeff Gerstmann... for all the lifers that are in the same 'boat' he is.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By c1337us
    @Rasgueado said:
    "USS Creamofsomeyounguy."   "
    If that was the name of a real ship I bet it would have a lot of seamen on board.
    Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Impossibilium
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " Is the U.S.S. Siren unoriginal? :P "

Not if you were the first one to pick it in the game!
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By l4wd0g

I'm flying the U.S.S. Redeemer... yep it's sad.  
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Mine is:

Captain Arcadius (borg) of the USS Romulan Ale.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

currently have 2 ships; 

the Andraste and the Marshall. 

Though i'm seeing a crap load of terrible names, hopefully not from the lobsters but man, some players don't have an imagination /rant.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lockwoodx

I would post what I have but this site really pisses me off I can't cut and paste anything into these windows.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rasgueado
    @Buzzkill: Are your names so long that you have to cut and paste them into the window as opposed to typing it out?
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lockwoodx

No it's not that. I can't paste anything into these windows if it's 2 letters or a paragraph. This site also randomly breaks for me often. Either the java will crap out and I can't navigate it, or none of the links will work when I click on them. Hell right now this window I'm typing into is super micro small and I can't look back and see anything else I typed. Hope I didn't have any bad typos.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lockwoodx

The reply and quote buttons are broken atm, but edit, delete, and flag work. That means if I want to type something to someone else after I've used this little box, I have to refresh the entire page to get it to come back.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I named my ship the "Let Me Help You".  After a line from TOS.
    And because I prefer the Halo method of naming ships after phrases like the "Forward Unto Dawn" and "In Amber Clad" rather than generic historical names or words like 'Victory' or 'Redemption'.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lockwoodx

Found out what's wrong with giantbomb. It doesn't like firefox. it only works perfect with buggy, slow, insecure IE8. I might not be posting here as much or at all in the future. I soiled myself using IE to write this post.... but I refuse to continue using it.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Legend
    @Buzzkill said:
    " Found out what's wrong with giantbomb. It doesn't like firefox. it only works perfect with buggy, slow, insecure IE8. I might not be posting here as much or at all in the future. I soiled myself using IE to write this post.... but I refuse to continue using it. "
    I'm using firefox and it works perfectly for me. Try disabling some of the add-ons you have (like Adblock Plus) or reinstalling the whole thing.
    Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rasgueado
    @Buzzkill: as another alternative... try using either Google Chrome, or Safari. Both of those are more than viable alternatives to IE8.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Legend:  @Rasgueado:  The only add on I ever used for Firefox was No Script and giantbomb was one of the only sites I allowed everything to run. That still didn't stop it from slowly breaking down until the site was unbrowsable. I had previously reinstalled Firefox twice since I began visiting giantbomb which fixed it each time but it only took a few weeks for giantbomb to break again. Why I'm saying giantbomb breaks is because it was the only site doing it, and to be honest this site has a pretty unique and cool format so who knows. I'm writing this right now because I'll give something new a shot, and I took the suggestion to try google chrome. So far it's pretty meh. Faster than IE8, slower than firefox, and I dislike the search is in the address bar. I won't install any add ons so it's a clean test. If giantbomb slowly breaks in the new few weeks using chrome then I'm just giving up on it. 

-edit- Never mind what I said about Chrome being slower than firefox... after visiting 4 or 5 more sites to test it out it's not chrome. It's giantbomb.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By Jost1

I just named mine the USS Urban Achiever. Captain Lebowski speaking.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By mikemcn

The USS Space Fish is drydocked until I decide to pay for the game.
    JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoeMarsden

Captain Kaera of the U.S.S. Anderson, and soon, the U.S.S. Eviscerate. I miss Eviscerate, still haven't got it back since the beta!
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By keyhunter

I'm going with either "Friend-ship" (LOL) or "3 quarter PIMPulse" (LOL) 
    But more than likely I will name it after my X girlfriend.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.