Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

Revisiting Star Trek Online (season5/free to play)

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Edited By fox01313

Well got an itch to go back to revisit this after the rather lackluster space combat in Star Wars the Old Republic & stopped playing Star Trek Online a few months after launch for other things going on (with a few characters on each side getting about half way through the ranks). I was excessively surprised to see a lot of these changes in the latest update to the game & putting this blog together of some of the newer things for others like me who are curious to see some of the new things going on from a perspective of one of the average people playing it. Now as I've missed a lot of content additions since the launch of the game, some of this might not be that new but interesting to see.

• Starting off with the Ship interiors, yes they've added some additions to the ship. You don't seem to get full roam of the ship but there's usually 3 decks to visit: the bridge with ready room, engineering & a middle deck with a few rooms for the crew (galley & observation room). There are trophies & ships you can put in these areas to make them more customizable (seen below with both the Federation & Klingon sides). Klingon (3rd image) shows off the trophy ship mounted on the wall & along with the trophy from winning a recent mission ending with a bat'leth tournament.
    • And speaking of the Klingon's there's a bit more there finally & still wanting to start another character from the beginning to see more of how this side now starts off along with stuff added to the Federation home world of Earth. Some historical quests/information that you can get by wandering around here along with daily quests. Plus more use of the holodecks.
    • Duty officers are similar to the system setup in Star Wars the Old Republic of sending crew off on specific missions to collect things. A rather recent change from the look of it is that many missions now have an additional reward going to an assortment of skills (ie. diplomacy, espionage, colonization, ect.) to unlock different things from uniforms, titles, abilities, missions & more. Now the duty officers related missions are going to be a mixed bunch as they change from sector to sector, some have a higher cost than others including the possibility of the crew you're sending off dying in the process. Don't worry as you can always get a mission in this menu to get more duty officers but you probably lose the progress made with the ones that died, good thing that most have not a lot of threat on them. These duty officer missions give a bit more to each of the duty officer category skills along with other rewards but the catch is that the missions have a critical success, success & failure conditions tied to them so depending on the duty officers you have, you can get better or worse results depending on who you pick (which hopefully the images show this well enough) as their skills will show the overall percentage of the possible outcome. Duty officers also have slight perks to normal space or ground combat, with dozens of duty officers to pick from there's quite a lot of variety to pick from.
    • Crafting & resources. Well the crafting materials are about the same as the launch though I vaguely remember there being much of a crafting system setup in the launch. Though now when you find a resource, matching the wave pattern will reap better rewards though if you mess it up you will still get something. And with the proper materials & some plans you can make uncommon/rare loot or how about a horta?
    • C-store has some interesting in-game items including a ton of outfits, pets & other things like more character slots, extra inventory & other things. Fairly standard for a Cryptic game but now with the daily missions or duty officer missions you can get dilithium for converting to in-game currency to do more than just paying a microtransaction in addition to possible subscription. Also found out that with many of the dress/casual uniforms locked away behind a microtransaction to unlock it on all characters on the account that my Federation character has a casual outfit that cannot seem to be rebuilt with what's there now so those going back to the game like I did might want to stay away from playing around with the tailoring feature too much.
    • Not shown in here & briefly looked at are the community made missions, which to me can go really good or really bad though it seems the rewards are more xp & skill points than anything else to keep people from just making easy missions to farm resources.

Hope this is informative & happy travels in space with whatever franchise/game you pick.

No Caption Provided
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fox01313

Well got an itch to go back to revisit this after the rather lackluster space combat in Star Wars the Old Republic & stopped playing Star Trek Online a few months after launch for other things going on (with a few characters on each side getting about half way through the ranks). I was excessively surprised to see a lot of these changes in the latest update to the game & putting this blog together of some of the newer things for others like me who are curious to see some of the new things going on from a perspective of one of the average people playing it. Now as I've missed a lot of content additions since the launch of the game, some of this might not be that new but interesting to see.

• Starting off with the Ship interiors, yes they've added some additions to the ship. You don't seem to get full roam of the ship but there's usually 3 decks to visit: the bridge with ready room, engineering & a middle deck with a few rooms for the crew (galley & observation room). There are trophies & ships you can put in these areas to make them more customizable (seen below with both the Federation & Klingon sides). Klingon (3rd image) shows off the trophy ship mounted on the wall & along with the trophy from winning a recent mission ending with a bat'leth tournament.
    • And speaking of the Klingon's there's a bit more there finally & still wanting to start another character from the beginning to see more of how this side now starts off along with stuff added to the Federation home world of Earth. Some historical quests/information that you can get by wandering around here along with daily quests. Plus more use of the holodecks.
    • Duty officers are similar to the system setup in Star Wars the Old Republic of sending crew off on specific missions to collect things. A rather recent change from the look of it is that many missions now have an additional reward going to an assortment of skills (ie. diplomacy, espionage, colonization, ect.) to unlock different things from uniforms, titles, abilities, missions & more. Now the duty officers related missions are going to be a mixed bunch as they change from sector to sector, some have a higher cost than others including the possibility of the crew you're sending off dying in the process. Don't worry as you can always get a mission in this menu to get more duty officers but you probably lose the progress made with the ones that died, good thing that most have not a lot of threat on them. These duty officer missions give a bit more to each of the duty officer category skills along with other rewards but the catch is that the missions have a critical success, success & failure conditions tied to them so depending on the duty officers you have, you can get better or worse results depending on who you pick (which hopefully the images show this well enough) as their skills will show the overall percentage of the possible outcome. Duty officers also have slight perks to normal space or ground combat, with dozens of duty officers to pick from there's quite a lot of variety to pick from.
    • Crafting & resources. Well the crafting materials are about the same as the launch though I vaguely remember there being much of a crafting system setup in the launch. Though now when you find a resource, matching the wave pattern will reap better rewards though if you mess it up you will still get something. And with the proper materials & some plans you can make uncommon/rare loot or how about a horta?
    • C-store has some interesting in-game items including a ton of outfits, pets & other things like more character slots, extra inventory & other things. Fairly standard for a Cryptic game but now with the daily missions or duty officer missions you can get dilithium for converting to in-game currency to do more than just paying a microtransaction in addition to possible subscription. Also found out that with many of the dress/casual uniforms locked away behind a microtransaction to unlock it on all characters on the account that my Federation character has a casual outfit that cannot seem to be rebuilt with what's there now so those going back to the game like I did might want to stay away from playing around with the tailoring feature too much.
    • Not shown in here & briefly looked at are the community made missions, which to me can go really good or really bad though it seems the rewards are more xp & skill points than anything else to keep people from just making easy missions to farm resources.

Hope this is informative & happy travels in space with whatever franchise/game you pick.

No Caption Provided
    darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By darkjester74

Thanks for the info duder, very informative! Never played STO but was curious after it went F2P. Will have to check it out at some point.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fox01313

This just in this week, game is now on Steam like some of the other Cryptic/Perfect World games. Nice to have all the games managed in one spot with updates taken care of.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.