Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

STO - Revisited

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I've recently revisited STO after being pretty much offline since my first month expired after launch date and I must say that it has gotten quite a lot of good updates to it. I made a brief visit back in November when they had a free weekend for existing members, not much had really happened back then aside from the new missions and increased level cap to Vice Admiral. Though now, since I'm already Vice Admiral on the main character, I have to start a new character to check them out and this is what I've experienced so far. Please bear in mind that I have no idea when certain changes were implemented and so on, I'm just saying what have caught my immediate attention!

Vice Admiral Karl Moghren's log STO-date on year later. My new uniform still look sweet.

They've started to make it feel more Star Trek in my book. The Tutorial and overall looks are still the same but when you finish the Tutorial mission and head to Space Dock you're immediately greeted with a Transporter room with stationed guards and a Chief administrator who can answer questions right off the bat. Looks a lot more like the welcome you'd expect over being teleported straight into some corridor outside the Admiral's office.

Welcome to Earth Space Dock indeed!
     Welcome to Earth Space Dock indeed!

Speaking of Admiral's Office. With the changes they've made, his office has been moved and isn't a separate instance anymore. We're talking proper "psssht"-sliding doors and a receptionist outside. She's not very talkative but it looks better and becomes easier to find!

No Caption Provided

Admiral. Admiral.
     Admiral. Admiral.
    There's a sickbay that help teach you about curing injuries you get when getting incapacitated.
    No Caption Provided

The BO skill area have received an academy look to it with banners and all. Though I still feel they need to overhaul the system because it's a bit too messy to organize new officers and the distribution of skill points.

Wooo! Graduation year!
     Wooo! Graduation year!

Space Dock have also received a proper night club instead of that strange bar they had in the open area between the Admiral's office and the Requisitions area. Doesn't look too bad and during the one year anniversary Q is subjecting you to Star Trek trivia here.
     I hope those two are guards...
     I hope those two are guards...

And lastly, something I believe was posted earlier but I couldn't help but emphasize this. The turbo lift to Ship Requisitions is located on ground floor now and when you get up there you're greeted with this.  Certainly helps to make Space Dock feel like something grander than what you get to see from the main floor. Also puts the sheer size of a Galaxy class in a different perspective since you're actually standing there and looking at it. Damn.
     Pretty sure this view would make anyone feel small.
     Pretty sure this view would make anyone feel small.

That sums up what was new to me at Space dock and I must say it feel a lot more interesting to just be there unlike before. Things are easier to find and it feels like Cryptic have answered the opinions regarding the place.

While I haven't played much yet, it seems like it's easier to mix things up a bit more now while leveling. Diplomatic missions that give you both XP for a diplomatic rank and regular XP so you don't have to  do so many of those damned patrol/random encounter missions. Also with the research functioning now, it feels like I have more reasons to visit places. 

I have no idea. It's hard to miss at least!
     I have no idea. It's hard to miss at least!
    That part certainly feel more interesting now as well since you have this spiffier Astrometrics map. Not sure if that's a new change but I have no memory of it at least. The grid is a lot more subtle and when you approach a system you get a little frame with some basic information of the system. And there's a buttload of different ships flying around with various appearances. Examining new ships alone is a curious endeavor.

If you want an example of curious improvements to quests, go check out the first mission you got as an LT, Stranded in Space. They haven't changed the quest but it becomes a sample of what things can become and I liked it a lot. You can replay old missions from your simulation console in the Ready Room. Oh and did I mention you can put trophies in your ready room? That's almost a win in its own to me.  Possibility to customize more is desired after that of course but it's a welcomed start.

Come!
     Come!

I was among the endless number of players that felt cheated on a good game and with the little I've played so far... I can't say that it's gotten incredibly much better. But it's certainly GETTING somewhere and it's for the better in my opinion. It certainly can't get worse than the state it was in when it launched but instead of giving up, they've taken to the forums and worked hard to prevent a train wreck. Now that I've seen some of the changes, I certainly don't mind throwing in some C-store purchases and a month's subscription once in a while to see more improvements and contribute to them.

Vice Admiral Karl Moghren, end of log.

Hums end credit soundtrack.
     Hums end credit soundtrack.
    JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JokerFrown

Interesting.  I may have to check it out again soon as I am one of the few who got suckered into a lifetime subscription...Once my DCU Online phase passes

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

I like the changes.  I also haven't really played since a month or two after release.  Though I don't see myself going back.  I just prefer my fantasy over sci-fi, and while Star Trek was fun, I prefer looking at my character more than a ship. 

OHMIGOD.  I just realized my inventory and bank must be PACKED with tribbles.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Oh and I forgot. These guys.. There's a looooooot of them purring about in Space Dock. I would say half of the security operatives have tails!

No Caption Provided
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @melcene said:

"  OHMIGOD.  I just realized my inventory and bank must be PACKED with tribbles. "

lol 
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By adoggz

wow, there was none of that spacedock stuff when i played some like a month or 2 ago.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PhatSeeJay

No Caption Provided
     Another small but fun thing I noticed. The nacelles for the intrepid class (long range science vessel, Star Trek Voyager) finally fold up when going to warp. They stay that way in the astrometrics map and only fold down once you've left warp and gone to impulse in a system.
    The distinct sound they make when folding up is missing though which is a slight bummer.
    djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By djames216

Awesome post Phat.  As I already mentioned to you previously, I have started playing it again, but I hadn't been to Earth Spacedock much so didn't noticed the differences you describe.  I'm going in now to take a look.  heh

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PhatSeeJay

No Caption Provided
    A dev stopped by to party with us today. His choice of.. uniform puzzles me though. Seasonal Valentine's day uniform perhaps? :P
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

If you bought a lifetime subscription like Jeff, you wouldn't have to wait for free weekends...

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Jayross

Dude, this makes me want to check out EVE Online..

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mikemcn
    @Jayross said:

" Dude, this makes me want to check out EVE Online.. "

Eve Online is nothing like Star trek Online. Space doesn't even look similar. Also, no one dances in eve online. 

No one...
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By geirr
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
     Another small but fun thing I noticed. The nacelles for the intrepid class (long range science vessel, Star Trek Voyager) finally fold up when going to warp. They stay that way in the astrometrics map and only fold down once you've left warp and gone to impulse in a system. The distinct sound they make when folding up is missing though which is a slight bummer. "
    Ohhh, that's when I stopped playing STO the launch month. I got my intrepid class ship, named it USS Kathryn, headed off to try warp, aaaaand.. 
    .... nothing. No nacelles lifting, zilch. Sure it wasn't the only reason, but it was the straw that broke this Targ's back.
    Avatar image for kristov_romanov
    kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kristov_romanov
    @PhatSeeJay: I can't wait to get a Prometheus-class with multi vector assault mode.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @kristov_romanov said:
    " @PhatSeeJay: I can't wait to get a Prometheus-class with multi vector assault mode. "
    Oh I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my  Nomad class cruiser with the Aegis set I crafted. She's got a nice glow to her.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for kristov_romanov
    kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kristov_romanov
    @PhatSeeJay: Pretty shiny. Nice look. 

I am rocking a stock Intrepid at the moment, having just hit Capt. on my main. 

I have only recently gotten back into STO, and I am now hooked. They have made some awesome improvements since launch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.