Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Trek Online

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

A sci-fi MMORPG developed by Cryptic Studios and Perpetual Entertainment which allows players to fight amongst the ranks of Starfleet, join the Klingon Empire, or rebuild a Romulan homeworld.

The most fun I had in the STO beta, was at it's end.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By mikemcn

So as you all know the STO beta is now over. I got to close it out with the Space Neon Lobsters, Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad.  And it was at the end that STO showed how truly fun it could be. Many of you question the wisdom of people who buy lifetime subscriptions, and i cannot say that I will ever join that group, but what I do know is that STO gave me some of the best gaming moments i have had in a long time.   

No One partys like Space Neon......

The Lobsters Grouped up at Deep Space 9 at the start of the event, where we fought off a few klingon players, and spent most of our time dancing, an hour or so later we were at the Earth Space Dock, fighting off hordes of borg from a balcony overlooking what used to be a bunch of ship shops, we held them off well considering they were 30 something levels higher than us. When jeff Showed up, we all grouped up in the admirals office, and the rest you all know about from the video.  We messed around, typed SPACE NEON, in all caps, and said we were Oscar Mike while dancing in the middle of Borg filled hallways. That alone may be worth the 300 dollar lifetime Subscirption. We fought, we died (Alot) and we didn't care, we never had to make a corpse run, or worry about all our debuffs, and stats and whatnot, we just killed some borg, and loved every minute of it. (Star Trek online is my type of MMO.) 

Never surrender (There were more of us, most of us were dead by now though and waiting to respawn.)
    Never surrender (There were more of us, most of us were dead by now though and waiting to respawn.)

Sure these events were a hell of alot more fun with the GB staff there to provide commentary, but nothing compares to fighting off an army of borg with a bunch of awesome people. ( And we used PHASERS, to fight BORG, in STAR FLEET command. How is that not awesome?)  I can't say im even a Star Trek Fan ( The newest movie and a few episodes of TNG are my only experience with the series.), but i found it absolutely wonderful. Even with a little bit of jankiness in game from all those borg (More than 300 in that area of the base alone, if you tried to run into the hallways you would encounter walls of the things,, as Jeff tried many times without success. i have no idea how many were in the other side of the base  .)  the game was still alot of fun, and the action was absolutely mindblowing.  And this wasn't even the space combat i was taking part in, which is arguably the game's greatest strength. 

All hail Jeff. ( I agree, the hero worship thing is kinda creepy, but the only other option was to dance, while waiting for the live stream to start.)
    All hail Jeff. ( I agree, the hero worship thing is kinda creepy, but the only other option was to dance, while waiting for the live stream to start.)

Cryptic originally had me doubting if STO can even be considered an MMO, but after today, I realize, it will go on to be one of this year's biggest MMOs.  

We're Oscar Mike.
    We're Oscar Mike.

So yea, if Cryptic can find a way to let moments like that happen in the retail game, then they most certainly deserve a ton of support. I might have to look into subscribing at some point this year as well...... 

I dance best when on fire.

I also took like 800 FRAPS screenshots that i now don't know what to do with, so here is one more. 

Lobsters.... Out
    Lobsters.... Out
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mikemcn

So as you all know the STO beta is now over. I got to close it out with the Space Neon Lobsters, Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad.  And it was at the end that STO showed how truly fun it could be. Many of you question the wisdom of people who buy lifetime subscriptions, and i cannot say that I will ever join that group, but what I do know is that STO gave me some of the best gaming moments i have had in a long time.   

The Lobsters Grouped up at Deep Space 9 at the start of the event, where we fought off a few klingon players, and spent most of our time dancing, an hour or so later we were at the Earth Space Dock, fighting off hordes of borg from a balcony overlooking what used to be a bunch of ship shops, we held them off well considering they were 30 something levels higher than us. When jeff Showed up, we all grouped up in the admirals office, and the rest you all know about from the video.  We messed around, typed SPACE NEON, in all caps, and said we were Oscar Mike while dancing in the middle of Borg filled hallways. That alone may be worth the 300 dollar lifetime Subscirption. We fought, we died (Alot) and we didn't care, we never had to make a corpse run, or worry about all our debuffs, and stats and whatnot, we just killed some borg, and loved every minute of it. (Star Trek online is my type of MMO.) 

Sure these events were a hell of alot more fun with the GB staff there to provide commentary, but nothing compares to fighting off an army of borg with a bunch of awesome people. ( And we used PHASERS, to fight BORG, in STAR FLEET command. How is that not awesome?)  I can't say im even a Star Trek Fan ( The newest movie and a few episodes of TNG are my only experience with the series.), but i found it absolutely wonderful. Even with a little bit of jankiness in game from all those borg (More than 300 in that area of the base alone, if you tried to run into the hallways you would encounter walls of the things,, as Jeff tried many times without success. i have no idea how many were in the other side of the base  .)  the game was still alot of fun, and the action was absolutely mindblowing.  And this wasn't even the space combat i was taking part in, which is arguably the game's greatest strength. 

Cryptic originally had me doubting if STO can even be considered an MMO, but after today, I realize, it will go on to be one of this year's biggest MMOs.  

We're Oscar Mike.
    We're Oscar Mike.

So yea, if Cryptic can find a way to let moments like that happen in the retail game, then they most certainly deserve a ton of support. I might have to look into subscribing at some point this year as well...... 

I also took like 800 FRAPS screenshots that i now don't know what to do with, so here is one more. 

Lobsters.... Out
    Lobsters.... Out
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

I agree that it brings out the Trek nerd in me and is difficult to resist, but I think it is, unfortunately, going to get crushed by The Old Republic and the continuing adventures of the WoW money generating machine. Watching the end of the beta made me curse myself for not being there, and it really did look like a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, the ultimate enjoyment you'll get from the game post-launch will depend on how many cool events like that actually happen.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mikemcn
    @AndrewB said:
    "I agree that it brings out the Trek nerd in me and is difficult to resist, but I think it is, unfortunately, going to get crushed by The Old Republic and the continuing adventures of the WoW money generating machine. Watching the end of the beta made me curse myself for not being there, and it really did look like a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, the ultimate enjoyment you'll get from the game post-launch will depend on how many cool events like that actually happen. "

Yea, that is a concern, I would imagine events like this would not be so hard for the developer to create, this one was a little more crazy on account of the fact that all the Klingon players were running wild out in space, but filling an area with Borg can't be so much of a problem. But im not a developer, maybe there is a reason they don't do stuff like this all the time.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB
    @Mikemcn: I think on the scale that they did it, it was too crazy for the average person's computer (especially considering how high the system requirements for that game seem to be unless you've got everything turned down). It's also too janky to be taken seriously in a polished game, but I personally don't mind it. I mean, all they really have to do is add in an animation for spawning characters to make it look like they're beaming in from off a ship.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Legend

Love all the screenshots. This was truly something to remember.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By End_Boss

I'm savagely kicking myself for not being there. Cheers to those who were, though.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By meteora

I agree, this was the most fun I've ever had in STO. It had its moments, but this one was incredibly awesome and ended with a big bang.

I have a few screens to share as well, but they're pretty shitty considering how this computer is running on laughably pathetic a intel integrated card.

That's a lot of Borgs down there!
     That's a lot of Borgs down there!

Space Neon Lobsters were totally holding this position down
     Space Neon Lobsters were totally holding this position down

I was originally at Deep Space 9 with some fellow mates and I went over to assist Mikemcn (or someone else, I don't recall). It was me and him as well as a third guy just camping in the corner. We later decided to head to the admiral's office when we couldn't resist the buggers and when we had more Space Neon Lobsters showing up when we were yelling over the fleet channel for support; or our general chatter generated some interest in assisting our FUBAR situation. Took a minute of a break and then held the balcony and held them off pretty well, until I made a call that we can't hold on the balcony's position anymore (there were at least 30 Borgs coming for us by the time we had to move). Went to camp behind a store's counter and wait for Jeff to get his ass over here.

So everyone got into the admiral's office and we spent maybe half an hour inside partying and dancing, while the rest of Stardock gets fucked over because half of the instance's players were probably SNL and we were all partying. We decided to stand at attention and salute in one big cluster, which we eventually decided to organize properly and assemble in a line. Other players pretty much were going "wtf?" at that point. A lone Klingon player breached our perimeters and got wtfpwned when all of us mauled him. Not too long after we followed Jeff into battle.

Assembled in a line; we showed respect for Jeff and awaited his orders while he danced
     Assembled in a line; we showed respect for Jeff and awaited his orders while he danced
    The battle ensues in a epic manner, with Jeff taking the first leap outside and we were totally shouting out Oscar Mike at that point. I swear we all came out and just fucking fucked things up when we had 20 guys grouped up in one small tight area. Chaos once again ensues, as we make our final stand.

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE
     TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By lockwoodx

Good admit those are nice screen shots. I'm surprised you didn't see my Klingon corpse in one of them.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thebatmobile

Set Phasers to Fun actually made me go back watching Star Trek TOS. I just wish I had a computer that could optimize the graphics on STO.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FunExplosions

That really does seem like a helluva lot of fun. But then again, you're not gonna be teaming up with the GB crew every day.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FlipperDesert

I'm really, really put down that my internet connection fucked up right before the event started. :(

Ah well, Layton had a good run.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikemcn
    @Meteora: Thanks for posting dude, you had some great pics, i kept running into you during the event, im sure we revived eachother a bunch of times anyway haha, and my screenshots are with the graphics slightly turned down as well, so don't feel bad.

@FunExplosions said:
    "That really does seem like a helluva lot of fun. But then again, you're not gonna be teaming up with the GB crew every day. "
    Yea, but the fact that it was equally funbefore they arrived leads me to believe that event was just awesome in general.  A better thing to say is "You won't be teaming up with the Space Neon Lobsters every day.", they we're the people who made it awesome.

@FlipperDesert said:
    "I'm really, really put down that my internet connection fucked up right before the event started. :(   Ah well, Layton had a good run. "
    Ahh that sucks dude, im guessing you arent subscribing then?

@Buzzkill
    said:
    "Good admit those are nice screen shots. I'm surprised you didn't see my Klingon corpse in one of them. "

Im sure i have one of you somewhere. If you can tell me when you showed up, i'll look for one. 

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JokerClown88

I am sad that I joined the Beta too late to get a chance to roll with you dudes.  When the full retail game comes out, I would love to be a Lobster.
    gamezhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamezhunter

Missed all that when I left, Damn!!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mikemcn
    @Gamez_hunter99 said:

"Missed all that when I left, Damn!! "

I wondered why you left haha

@JokerClown88 said:

"I am sad that I joined the Beta too late to get a chance to roll with you dudes.  When the full retail game comes out, I would love to be a Lobster. "

Yea, I only got myself invited into Space Neon in the last 3 hours of the beta, before that i had never thought to ask. In those 3 hours, all this stuff happened, and it was awesome, they'll be around come retail, so make sure you join up.
    gamezhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By gamezhunter
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Gamez_hunter99 said:
    "Missed all that when I left, Damn!! "

I wondered why you left haha
    I needed sleep dude, it was midnight when I left.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Mikemcn:  Wearing black and white so I blended in with the borg for a little bit and spent the majority of the time dead on the ground where you zone into the station. I saw myself in the live video replay laying dead where everyone spawns into the station. Here's how things went last night.... =edit= or not... This site won't allow me to paste simple text into these reply windows. Effin Wonky.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikemcn
    @Buzzkill said:

"@Mikemcn:  Wearing black and white so I blended in with the borg for a little bit and spent the majority of the time dead on the ground where you zone into the station. I saw myself in the live video replay laying dead where everyone spawns into the station. Here's how things went last night.... =edit= or not... This site won't allow me to paste simple text into these reply windows. Effin Wonky. "

I'll look for you in the vid haha

Ashwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ashwyn

It makes me sad that my computer can't handle this game.

My Star Trek Fanboy is crying out!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mikemcn
    @Ashwyn said:
    "It makes me sad that my computer can't handle this game.  My Star Trek Fanboy is crying out! "

It does Scale quite well, theres a million sliders in the options screen for everything you could possible want to change.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lockwoodx

Any reason why i can't simply copy and paste txt into these windows? Anyways I'll type out what happened for me last night...

I was one of those few lucky Klingons (Dellingr of the IKS Ragnarok in the white and black) whom, after leaving the spam fest at star base 24 out of disgust at all the spawn camping ended up glitching and dieing in sector space. When it let me respawn the game thought I was a federation ship and parked me right next to Sol. Naturally I ducked inside the system only to be spawn camped some more. One respawn I got lucky and they were distracted. I blew every cool down and flew into the station's dock frantically mashing buttons to beam over. Upon entering there were 1 or two people fighting but for the most part nobody knew quite what to do regarding their new found batliff wielding friends.

Being expert diplomats my fellow brothers and I went straight to the admiral's office to introduce ourselves and extend an olive branch of peace. When we arrived everyone was having a party. The records stopped and they all gaped in shock as they were not expecting such dignified guests. The admiral broke out the scotch and we all started singing tales of battle and honor together until K'tang reached into the fish tank for a snack. Jaws his the floor, hushed gasps echoed, and Sulu mentioned something about mother so I buried my batliff into his cranium.

Next thing I knew they were trying to escort me to the brig but I decided to die in the ways of my ancestors as a warrior of battle. From that point on I had my own cozy little spot to nap in the promenade while the feds spawn camped me till the borg showed up. By then I had began watching the giantbomb life feed and having seen myself on the ground in their webcast I felt satisfied enough I had earned my 15 seconds of fame and logged off to go watch the rest of a hockey game.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By vager

I typed this message in notepad. 

Seems to work for me.
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lockwoodx

I just tried to copy what I wrote 1 posts back and paste it into this window... didn't work. >.<

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mikemcn
    @Buzzkill said:
    "Any reason why i can't simply copy and paste txt into these windows? Anyways I'll type out what happened for me last night...  I was one of those few lucky Klingons (Dellingr of the IKS Ragnarok in the white and black) whom, after leaving the spam fest at star base 24 out of disgust at all the spawn camping ended up glitching and dieing in sector space. When it let me respawn the game thought I was a federation ship and parked me right next to Sol. Naturally I ducked inside the system only to be spawn camped some more. One respawn I got lucky and they were distracted. I blew every cool down and flew into the station's dock frantically mashing buttons to beam over. Upon entering there were 1 or two people fighting but for the most part nobody knew quite what to do regarding their new found batliff wielding friends.  Being expert diplomats my fellow brothers and I went straight to the admiral's office to introduce ourselves and extend an olive branch of peace. When we arrived everyone was having a party. The records stopped and they all gaped in shock as they were not expecting such dignified guests. The admiral broke out the scotch and we all started singing tales of battle and honor together until K'tang reached into the fish tank for a snack. Jaws his the floor, hushed gasps echoed, and Sulu mentioned something about mother so I buried my batliff into his cranium.  Next thing I knew they were trying to escort me to the brig but I decided to die in the ways of my ancestors as a warrior of battle. From that point on I had my own cozy little spot to nap in the promenade while the feds spawn camped me till the borg showed up. By then I had began watching the giantbomb life feed and having seen myself on the ground in their webcast I felt satisfied enough I had earned my 15 seconds of fame and logged off to go watch the rest of a hockey game. "

Hahhaa, yea I got my 15 seconds of fame was when i was dancing and caught on fire, which Jeff decided to comment on in the video, at which point the nerd inside me exploded with joy, but hey, it counts. 

And you were the guy who barged in on us like that, thats awesome, i just figured it was some random dude who had gotten lost.  
    lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Mikemcn:  Yeah I was lucky enough to get commented on too in SPFF #10. When brad is at the dance party and he says "Awww this guy watched our videos and now he loves the game." That was the comment I made just after having joined the space lobsters.  All thanks to the Bradschwager!
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mikemcn
    @Buzzkill said:
    "@Mikemcn:  Yeah I was lucky enough to get commented on too in SPFF #10. When brad is at the dance party and he says "Awww this guy watched our videos and now he loves the game." That was the comment I made just after having joined the space lobsters.  All thanks to the Bradschwager! "

Where did bradshwager come from anyways?
    SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By SBYM

Nice story; screenshots.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lockwoodx
    @Mikemcn:  The Bradschwager came from the random crazy thoughts I have to fit utterly spontagulous moments of craptacular proportions.

Also... it's a tasty yet gross kind of german bologna paste. Don't ask how or why I associated that with Brad.

No Caption Provided
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bubahula

love those shots, 
    i salute the lobsters.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mikemcn
    @SBYM:
    Thanks 

@Buzzkill said:
    "@Mikemcn:  The Bradschwager came from the random crazy thoughts I have to fit utterly spontagulous moments of craptacular proportions.

Also... it's a tasty yet gross kind of german bologna paste. Don't ask how or why I associated that with Brad.

"

I won't ask haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.