Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront II

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2017

EA's second Star Wars Battlefront features cross-era characters and locations from the original, prequel and sequel Star Wars movie trilogies. It also includes multiplayer character classes and a story-driven single-player campaign.

Battlefront 2 Progression System Update - Thoughts?

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By devise22

As seen here.

The big takeaway from these changes after a lengthy delay, is that there is no more pay to win system in place. All classes and heroes are unlocked from the get go, and you earn skill points as you level up and use them. Star cards are now basically just skills that said classes and heroes have, and you can then use those skill points to get them. Crates are limited to a daily login bonus, and do not contain star cards. They also said they will be rolling out what you will be able to use crystals (the paid currency) on in April, which as suspected based on the leaked screens is all cosmetics for heroes and classes. The big takeaway too is that you can use the in game currency to purchase those cosmetics as well, so theoretically by simply playing the game you bought you'll now be able to experience all the content in it. Apparently they will also be releasing more modes, including entirely new for the game following as well.

What is everyones thoughts on this? I bounced off the Beta, the progression system and overall modes didn't entice me nearly enough. I disliked how hard it was to gain Hero's in game, and felt that by the time I got a hero the match was usually over. The micro managing of your in game currency as well to swap to different heroes or to different upgraded classes wasn't awesome. And even if the progression stuff outside is now better, some of that still worries me. I do think it's a better update, to at least get the game probably to the point it should of been at launch. But I imagine a lot will feel the damage is already done.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Looks good. Might be picked it up if this was the original plan but nowwwwwww? Naaaah

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sounds good, only paying for cosmetic skins is an improvement for sure! I might actually pop in the disc in my PS4 and check it out now, which I never did after buying it. I need to do it anyway to try the VR-thing.

Is there still people playing this?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

They fucked up in a way that caught on to such a degree that I don't think Battlefront Reboot 2 is salvageable.

That said, these changes look fine.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By shiftygism

As someone that's played and enjoyed the game since release this is a huge step backwards.

Way too many people complained about a progression system they didn't even understand and how it related to the star cards...which was a totally separate thing. What they're implementing now is terribly restrictive in comparison.

Earning credits in matches to spend on crates to get crafting materials allowing you to make any Star Card perk you wanted assuming you were at the specific level to do so all while collecting random drop cards for the classes you didn't play was essentially a level up your rpg party while you stick to your main approach which encouraged experimentation as you would have some skills already unlocked and waiting for you. Now, if the points you earn are tied to the class you play it will take even longer to unlock everything.

It's kinda horseshit they didn't give players a few weeks heads up of the drastic changes as now it makes me want to grind out credits over the weekend to buy as many crates as possible.

There was little wrong with the system they had in place outside of space combat Star Cards and preorder bonuses which were legit play-to-win, that and character pricing. Hardly any of the on foot perks however, directly contributed to blaster progression kills...the main thing you're working towards in the game. But you know what? None of that mattered a few days after release and doesn't matter at all now, as anyone coming to the game fresh will be at a disadvantage.

The customization addition is fine, but they should've left everything as is outside of unlocking all of the characters/vehicles, refunding the credits to those that purchased them, and figure out a better balance of crate pricing vs. the credit/crafting materials they drop.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As someone who checked out during the last game at least they didn't totally give up. The game has too many fundamental choices that I think are bad for me to enjoy it but they could have easily just left it to die on the vine.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I'll buy it now if I see it for 10bucks or less...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I kiiiiiinda want to pick it up on sale.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThePanzini

@shiftygism: The system was total crap with zero redeeming qualities in 20hrs of gameplay nearly every starcard I earned I never used beyond the starting class crates, how can that be good?

The higher level starcards were gated by level anyway, how is doing the same with skill points any different?

Every class had the basic abilities unlocked through crates via simple challenges not sure how doing basically the same in a more liner fashion is that much different.

All these are very good going above and beyond what they needed to do, EA are most likely thinking about the next game as Battlefront 2 is a lost cause by now.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shiftygism

If you didn't experiment and stuck to a certain perk loadout that's not the game's fault. Collecting the abilities and leveling the card rank of other classes, characters, and vehicles while working towards the perks of the troops you prefer via crafting or purchase was a genuine breath of fresh air after years of having to wait until you reached a certain level to unlock something as everything was at your fingertips much earlier out of the gates as your goal was to instead raise the strength of those items.

With the switch to a points based system restricted to whatever you're playing, unlocking perks and upgrading the card level of other stuff while concentrating on your main is now a thing of the past and seems like a much slower method of play and far less rewarding for new players. But then again, most new players will probably be those that blindly complained so I guess it all works out in the end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.