Is this game worth 20 dollars on the Xbox One X?

#1 Edited by NTM (11372 posts) -

I'll largely get it for the campaign, but I may dabble in the multiplayer as well (and perhaps my brothers will too). It's currently $19.80 on the Xbox, and just a few days ago I got the Xbox One X and I just want to buy more games to try out on it. I hear Battlefront II looks great on it, but what do you think? Is it worth it, especially considering the overhaul they went through? I don't know what they fixed in it mind you.

Edit - Maybe I should update this so people know. As I posted a couple of times in the comments section, I went ahead and bought the game. I haven't got a chance to play much of it yet. It looks amazing though. That said, others are asking questions so read the comments to see if you can answer them. Thanks.

#2 Posted by NTM (11372 posts) -

I'm still curious of course, but I just bought another supposedly 'shit' game, which is Homefront: The Revolution. I saw since the release it has gotten some updates to make it so it runs at a near perfect 30fps throughout. While the first game was not great (and it's not connected to this one), I liked it well enough to want to play the new one, so at ten dollars that's fine by me.

#3 Posted by notnert427 (2123 posts) -

It mostly plays well and is pretty as hell on the One X. I got my $60 of fun out of the Starfighter Assault mode, which, while it ain't Tie Fighter, is still a really good time. That part alone is well worth $20, IMO. If you like the Star Wars, it'll deliver enough to justify that low price.

#4 Posted by The_Greg (454 posts) -

It's definitely worth $20 on the X. I play it on the X and it looks amazing.

All the issues I had with the game at launch (a lot of issues) have pretty much been fixed now. The progression system is fine, microtransactions are for cosmetics and loot boxes now only offer currency for cosmetics.

I can honestly say that they've turned it around and it's currently my favourite competitive multiplayer game.

#5 Posted by WheresDerrick (326 posts) -

Yes it is. The multiplayer is fun for me because I don't care about winning or losing, its almost relaxing. There's so much crap going on at once its a marvel just to stop and look at at times.

#6 Edited by onyxghost (386 posts) -

Yeah, the campaign is worth a 20 spot. It’s entertaining enough throughout. Everything else is take it or leave it after that.

#7 Edited by NTM (11372 posts) -

Hey, thanks, everyone! That's good to hear! I'll get it then. Although off-topic, I wanted to say here instead of making a new thread that I'm currently playing Homefront: The Revolution on the X, and to be honest, like Battlefront II, I feel like it's a game people should perhaps check out now. It's currently only ten dollars. They fixed a lot of stuff from what I understand. On the X especially, the game looks superb. There are a few oddities like pop in and wonky animations. One guy was talking and his hand was out as if he was trying to make a point; when he was done talking, there was a slight pause and he looked at his hand and then put it down. It was kind of robotic. I also am not a fan of the fact it seems they only have a select few NPC looks.

The NPC's look great for the most part from a detail perspective, but walking from one place to another only a few feet away to see the same NPC with or without the same voice actor/actress is kind of unfortunate. I also think the story is goofy, but if you look at it from a totally alternate historical timeline perspective it's fine. It reminds me of an amalgam of games, like Freedom Fighters in how you can just recruit allies anywhere off the street that's part of the resistance, The Last of Us or Half-Life 2 in the way oppression from a militaristic police state, Far Cry with the gameplay and Crysis due to weapon customization. It has its faults for sure, but with the updates, it seems like a totally solid game. I'll have to see what I think once I'm further in, but so far I am more impressed than I was expecting.

Edit - Okay, NPC variety not an issue as you roam the open areas.

#8 Posted by Jaalmo (1721 posts) -

I don't think so, unless you really really like Star Wars and you just love that world so much that you can ignore everything else wrong with it.

#9 Posted by NTM (11372 posts) -

@jaalmo: I just bought it actually. That said, I liked many of the Star Wars games, but I am not a huge Star Wars fan. I never really cared for the films, to be honest. I like the worlds, the assortment of aliens and technology in it, but the stories were never all that interesting to me.

#10 Posted by RetroMetal (863 posts) -

I certainly wouldn't get it for the campaign.

If you are looking for a fun, solid multiplayer shooter, get it. It's polished and looks great. The campaign is ok as a short diversion, but don't get it for that.

#11 Posted by NTM (11372 posts) -

@retrometal: Well, I got it but I was thinking that due to my brothers being more into multiplayer, perhaps they'd get into it, so it helped me decide as well. I will also try to the multiplayer side of it myself for a while. I thought the beta was fine.

Avatar image for machofantastico
#12 Posted by MachoFantastico (6635 posts) -

I play on PC and honestly since they made the progression changes it's a much easier game to recommend. It's not the greatest multiplayer shooter out there but it does have it's own feel and I'm definitely having more fun with it lately. Plus they seem to be supporting the game rather well so far.

It depends if you really like Star Wars. But I can recommend it for the right price at this point.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#13 Posted by colourful_hippie (5848 posts) -

Only if you love Stars Wars

#14 Posted by Sarnecki (1324 posts) -

If you love Star Wars and you know you're getting a short, not AMAZING shooter campaign with some pretty bad AI. These campaigns are NOT Call of Duty quality.

That said the multiplayer stuff, starfighter assault hero vs hero and galactic assault, are pretty good! Well worth full price to a Star Wars fan. (Now)

#15 Posted by whitegreyblack (1923 posts) -

I figure even short single player campaigns with some nice production values and that unique 'Star Wars stuff' ought to be worth 20 bucks. It's like going to a movie, but you get to interact with it. What do you have to lose? (Well yes, 20 bucks and a few hours of your time.)

#16 Posted by breq (107 posts) -

I guess I'll piggyback on this thread. In the multiplayer, how frequently are the "hero" characters in a match? Is it like a really dumb amount of time (what im looking for) or are they still holding them back to be special moments?

#17 Edited by BoFooQ (1095 posts) -

I've been have the same thoughts. After seeing guy at EA press conference talking about game and them still adding stuff, thought maybe I should get this. Is everything they are adding single player or multiplayer? or both? it's all free now, I believe cause of their fuck ups. Currently $18 on ps4. I've been holding off cause I just got AC origins. I do like star wars, and I'll probably get it at some point, but I try not to buy games till I know I'm going to play them. Who knows maybe by the time I get around to it next year it will be cheaper.. someday

#18 Posted by Shiftygism (644 posts) -
@breq said:

I guess I'll piggyback on this thread. In the multiplayer, how frequently are the "hero" characters in a match? Is it like a really dumb amount of time (what im looking for) or are they still holding them back to be special moments?

There's a heroes vs. villains mode.

In Galactic Assault (or whatever the main multiplayer mode is called) it's entirely skill dependent.

You have to reach a certain battle score and wait for the character you want to be selectable (if they're currently on the field).

#19 Posted by breq (107 posts) -

@breq said:

There's a heroes vs. villains mode.

In Galactic Assault (or whatever the main multiplayer mode is called) it's entirely skill dependent.

You have to reach a certain battle score and wait for the character you want to be selectable (if they're currently on the field).

I picked it up cheap at Target, and MAAAANNN is the heros vs villians mode a whole lot of stupid fun. Kylo Rens force push that just ragdolls other players is insanely stupid. Also, when the heros get killed they just take a knee and put their hands behind their head....just the best schlock. Don't even get me started on the ultra awkward Boba Fett jetpack movement. A+++

#20 Posted by gtb08 (549 posts) -

Anyone checking this for opinions, I bought the game for 60 at launch, and had a TON of fun, but as we all know the progression was not present. Now I booted it up a few weeks ago and they seriously improved the progression, added new maps, and i wholeheartedly reccomend it. The maps are large and varied, and the shooting is very snappy and satisfying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.