Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront II

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2017

EA's second Star Wars Battlefront features cross-era characters and locations from the original, prequel and sequel Star Wars movie trilogies. It also includes multiplayer character classes and a story-driven single-player campaign.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 post progression overhaul – has anyone tried it? How is it?

Avatar image for deactivated-643821ed9b0ef
    deactivated-643821ed9b0ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, following up my last thread I want to ask you to share your experience with this game for those who is playing it, now that it's been overhauled.

Would love to hear your opinions about it as I'm considering getting this game due to a price drop.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't touched multiplayer very much at all (picked the game up for cheap close to launch to play the campaign) but I'm eager to see what the new progression looks like. Will probably check it out in a few days!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm actually interested in this game now that it has been overhauled, but I'm not paying a dime more than ten dollars for it.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LeStephan

What's been done to it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fram said:

I haven't touched multiplayer very much at all (picked the game up for cheap close to launch to play the campaign) but I'm eager to see what the new progression looks like. Will probably check it out in a few days!

Cool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's been done to it?

Not sure exactly. Basically, they revamped the progression system people have been criticising about.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shiftygism

Just played a bit, the new system is a huge step backwards, especially for those already playing. I had leveled up my assault and player class to the level needed to craft tier four star cards pre-patch, didn't get around to one I was wanting, now post-patch...to my surprise, I now have to grind ten assault levels to be able to craft it. Not a big deal as it's not a huge upgrade stat-wise, but between that and them shutting down a great system of working on the classes you prefer while getting random drops to fill out the card collection and troop level of the ones you didn't it's super fucking annoying and lengthens time to unlock stuff considerably. I was in the mindset of keeping the game a couple weeks ago, now I'll probably sell it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just played a bit, the new system is a huge step backwards, especially for those already playing. I had leveled up my assault and player class to the level needed to craft tier four star cards pre-patch, didn't get around to one I was wanting, now post-patch...to my surprise, I now have to grind ten assault levels to be able to craft it. Not a big deal as it's not a huge upgrade stat-wise, but between that and them shutting down a great system of working on the classes you prefer while getting random drops to fill out the card collection and troop level of the ones you didn't it's super fucking annoying and lengthens time to unlock stuff considerably. I was in the mindset of keeping the game a couple weeks ago, now I'll probably sell it.

Thanks for the info.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: Definitely understandable that someone invested in the previous system would be unhappy with the changes.

It sounds to me like a better system, but only if it had been there from the beginning. The issue everyone had with the original system was that it was pay to win. Now if you're just picking up the game, that problem of facing other players with higher stats basically still exists because everyone will already have super high level stuff (although most of the infantry stuff isn't a big deal, I remember it being worse for vehicles/starfighters).

Basically it's too late to have any real impact. I picked up the game a couple months back and played the campaign and a few nights of multiplayer. I may play again, I never really cared about the progression when I realized that the stat boosts weren't a huge deal.

I think they had to make this change, though. They said they were going to, and it's almost more of a PR move at this point because I don't' think any significant amount of people are going to be buying the game at this point. Maybe when they sell it for <$20? The campaign (and the first DLC which I enjoyed) is worth more than that in my opinion, so maybe.

Still_A_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started playing the game yesterday and I like the new progression system. It sounded lame to want to play one class and having RNG determine which class might get a card. The linear and straightforward nature of the new system is nice. I play what I want and know that if I play long enough, I will unlock something for that class (could be a completed milestone earning me a weapon or simply leveling up the class and earning a skill point to unlock a level appropriate card for that class). It's simple and fair to the player now. It's also cool that all the special characters are unlocked and can be used if/when you earn enough points in a match. I can totally see how someone who took the time to grind out Darth Vader would be salty that I can just use him after only owning the game for a few days. All in all, I like the new system as a new player.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gameplay loop is still a corridor shooter with rigid meat grinder death choke points that aren't terribly fun, and lots of people spinning and rolling all over the place making zeroing in on a target not fun.

Like Destiny fixing the minor issues around the sides is nice... But the minor issues weren't the thing holding it back.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shiftygism
    @still_a_sin said:

I just started playing the game yesterday and I like the new progression system. It sounded lame to want to play one class and having RNG determine which class might get a card. The linear and straightforward nature of the new system is nice. I play what I want and know that if I play long enough, I will unlock something for that class (could be a completed milestone earning me a weapon or simply leveling up the class and earning a skill point to unlock a level appropriate card for that class). It's simple and fair to the player now. It's also cool that all the special characters are unlocked and can be used if/when you earn enough points in a match. I can totally see how someone who took the time to grind out Darth Vader would be salty that I can just use him after only owning the game for a few days. All in all, I like the new system as a new player.

Not to take away from your enjoyment of the game, but milestones were always in place for weapon progression. Also, because the class leveling was directly tied to the card collection, you could unlock anything you wanted in the classes you played while still adding things to those you didn't in a shorter amount of time with how crafting and crates were set up.

While it's nice they unlocked all of the characters/vehicles with the revamped system, the higher priced ones weren't that difficult to obtain after a day or two of playing with all of the credits obtained through milestones they gave you starting out (after the price lowering). Also, after reaching a level gap in the crafting process, there were periods where you would be banking more than enough credits to spend on something new. There's really nothing to work for now beyond the standard class unlocks, unless you're into what will likely be minor cosmetic upgrades.

@nasher27 said:

@shiftygism: The issue everyone had with the original system was that it was pay to win. Now if you're just picking up the game, that problem of facing other players with higher stats basically still exists because everyone will already have super high level stuff (although most of the infantry stuff isn't a big deal, I remember it being worse for vehicles/starfighters).

Yeah, I never really bothered with the starfighter or heroes vs. villain modes but some of those perks were definitely more "pay to win" in nature compared to the infantry cards where only a couple directly contributed to blaster progression....the only thing that really mattered.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starfighter is the BEST mode in the game! Easily!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.