Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront II

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2017

EA's second Star Wars Battlefront features cross-era characters and locations from the original, prequel and sequel Star Wars movie trilogies. It also includes multiplayer character classes and a story-driven single-player campaign.

The Burnout developers are making the space battles multiplayer, and it looks really good

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I really disliked the first reboot of Battlefront, but I'm hoping this will be much better.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

With everything that happened to Criterion, im always confused whenever someone mentions "Burnout developers."

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@forteexe21 said:

With everything that happened to Criterion, im always confused whenever someone mentions "Burnout developers."

I'm sorry. The TrickStyle developers.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LeStephan

Hope it feels better to control, really hated how the flying in ea's battlefront 1 felt. I cant explain it very well but it kinda felt to me like there was no weight or physics at play at all, and then the lame lock-on and lack of proper pitch&yaw, just ugh. As someone who usually likes any kind of spaceflight/combat no matter how complex or simple I just could not stand it in the slightest in ea's battlefront.

Looks really cool though as usual.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's my aftertouch?

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forteexe21 said:

Wow. I never knew what Criterion did before Burnout and that sure looks like a B-game. Reminds me of the Sonic hoverboard game but more boring.

Since the release of Burnout Paradise, Criterion split off to Ghost Games, this smaller dev team working as support for Star Wars games and the co-founders starting Three Fields. I think all three are valid to be called "Burnout developers." Also, I'm said theres still no new Burnout. :(

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:
    @forteexe21 said:

Wow. I never knew what Criterion did before Burnout and that sure looks like a B-game. Reminds me of the Sonic hoverboard game but more boring.

Since the release of Burnout Paradise, Criterion split off to Ghost Games, this smaller dev team working as support for Star Wars games and the co-founders starting Three Fields. I think all three are valid to be called "Burnout developers." Also, I'm said theres still no new Burnout. :(

Where's my aftertouch?

I just want a mode where you cause space accidents to pile as many X-Wings, Y-Wings, Tie Fighters, and Millennium Falcons together as you can, and then explode your vehicle, using the momentum to guide it into another space vehicle pileup. Is that too much to ask?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I wouldn't exactly call that amazing, personally. Definitely looks better than Battlefront 1 (2015) but in all honesty that really doesn't say much at all.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@sammo21 said:

I wouldn't exactly call that amazing, personally. Definitely looks better than Battlefront 1 (2015) but in all honesty that really doesn't say much at all.

Not wanting three pages of people disagreeing with a perhaps overly positive descriptor, I've adjusted the thread title.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This does look a little better, but the physicality of popping into a ship from a hanger bay and flying off into battle was such a tremendous feeling in the original Battlefront II and it's a shame they're not attempting that here. I'd easily take a much smaller playspace in favor of that.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So do i just spawn with a ship after I immediately crash into things like i always do in these games?

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Hope it feels better to control, really hated how the flying in ea's battlefront 1 felt. I cant explain it very well but it kinda felt to me like there was no weight or physics at play at all, and then the lame lock-on and lack of proper pitch&yaw, just ugh. As someone who usually likes any kind of spaceflight/combat no matter how complex or simple I just could not stand it in the slightest in ea's battlefront.

Looks really cool though as usual.

Agreed. Something felt plain bad about the flight in Battlefront. I think it's the camera. That third-person camera "sway" on movement is constantly annoying. I assume they did that for "cinematic" reasons, because it sure as shit didn't help the controls, which felt about half as tight as they should. Also, the camera probably needed to be oriented higher or something, as it seemed like your ship was constantly in the way of what you were trying to aim at. First-person was somehow worse; just a chaotic blur of crap until crashing. And whatever that default control scheme was made zero sense. For the record, I played a ton of flying games growing up (it's why I'm #teaminvert to this day), and Battlefront was one of precious few games where I just don't enjoy flying.

The Battlefield games are the same way for me, FWIW. I don't even comprehend how people aren't just constantly crashing, and I just stare in awe whenever someone actually flies around ably, because I'm Vinny playing Ravaged when trying to fly anything in a modern EA game. Maybe it's just a personal issue, as I'm really hit and miss on third-person cameras, and a bad one can straight-up ruin things for me. I drive in cockpit view in most racing games from having shitty experiences with similar third-person cameras that overused sway. I don't need the camera locked to the direction the vehicle is pointing or anything, but too much sway just adds a bullshit layer of waiting for the camera to catch up to what I want to be looking at that I just can't stand.

From the video it looks like the camera issues (at least the stuff that bothers me) are still there. It's cool to watch, but I'm guessing it will be as crappy to play for me as Battlefront 1 was. I'm still probably getting Battlefront II, because it's surely going to be pretty and will likely play well enough as a shooter, but I doubt I'll do much flying. I'll at least try flying again, and maybe I can get used to the first-person or something this time around. There's a good chance it'll just be a series of "let's watch a pro" moments by me until I give up again, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.