Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 17, 2015

Large-scale infantry Star Wars battles return in this reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series (from the studio behind the Battlefield series).

The 10-hour preview is out on EA Access - impressions?

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Still waiting to get home from work to play it, but I'm definitely interested to see how much more there is. The beta felt slight, and I hope the other modes grab me more than the ones on show. Looking forward to getting my hands on it before I spend a full $60.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

I'm glad you asked~

I've gone and done a video about it that you can have a look at below, but my overall impressions is as they were with the info we were fed about it and the beta we've played: It's a fun-time shooting game that seems targeted at a very specific demographic. I love it and will get the full thing, because in many ways it's the game I've waited 30 years to play, but I probably wouldn't love it as much if it wasn't Star Wars.

Loading Video...

skuski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

As a big Star Wars fan, I think it's fantastic. I agree with DarkbeatDK that it might not resonate with non-Star Wars fans.

Not to be greedy, as this game will keep me occupied for quite some time, I already cannot wait for the next Star Wars game. The well has been dry too long!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I've played around 4 hours or so and I have been convinced to get the game. Man, the fidelity of the character models, vehicles and maps is absolutely stunning. They did it, they captured the feel of star wars in a video game as best you possibly can. Even beyond that the game feels pretty great to play, and mixing it up between the 4 massive maps and 8-10 smaller ones is a lot of fun; not to mention the free maps coming a week or two after launch. The hero characters feel like they really can make a difference in some rounds too which is kind of nice to have some rather dramatic swings in some battles. I know the biggest worry is the longevity and that is always true of multiplayer focused games. So far it does feel a little sparse in places but adding the last big map will pretty much solve that complaint.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think the 10 hours will be enough for me. The only mode I really like is conquest and there just aren't enough maps for that mode (4 I think, maybe 5). The dog fighting mode is neat, but there are only two ships per side and they don't feel all that different. The single-player modes are also a complete joke, so it's not like there's anything cool to experience there. They do capture the feel of Star Wars, and I'm sure that will be enough for a lot of people, but it's just not holding my interest.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@cameron: yeah the limited number of maps for the big modes is a worry. They have 4 at release plus 1 freebie as a Force Awakens tie-in in December

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews are starting to drop:

http://opencritic.com/#!game/1511/star-wars-battlefront

7/10 so far, only two numeric scores so far though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

How does the Xbox One version look, by the way? The Digital Foundry comparison came out today and revealed that version was only running at 720p, compared to the PS4's 1600x900. 720p seems awfully low for a game with this much detail.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By conmulligan

@mike: It looks better than you'd expect a game running at 720p to but you're not going to mistake it for a 1080p image. There's very little visible aliasing up close and long-range clarity is only really a problem on the largest maps, but the picture is a little soft. Otherwise, it's fine. I played a little bit of both the PC and PS4 betas and besides the lower resolution and AA quality there isn't a whole lot separating the three in terms of rendering technology.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting to use my 10 hour trial until it launches tonight so that I can get plenty of games in (and to play with some friends buying it). I think 10 hours is all I'll need of this.

Stef_QA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the simplicity, it's a refreshing change. I loved Battlefield 4 but I can't be the only one who thinks that they have become a parody of themselves with the sheer avalanche of bullshit attachments and items they flood you with.

There is 100% space in the market for a casual take on a competitive shooter especially if it has a Star Wars skin and is coming out the month before a rather large movie of the same name.

Getting 20 kills to earn a mega charizard killstreak in call of duty alienated a lot of less adept gamers and just made them feel like they were being ridiculed because it was always there but never in reach. Likewise having to hang around for ages on a spawn screen to finally fly an apache in Battlefield was great if you knew exactly what you were doing, because if you didn't and you just thought it was fun, you would almost certainly be flamed by team mates.

This is the happy medium for the average gamer. You want to be Darth Vader and fuck around? you can, just pick up a hero item... no stress, no drama if you aren't that good. Want to fly a TIE fighter you most likely can! Take it for a whizz and relax if you plow it into the ground because you weren't taking it from 1337FighterPi1otK1lla who will now flame you for the rest of the game because he has a divine right to the flying vehicles.

Longevity will also be fine the movie will handle that for them. It's a well timed release for kids and adults christmas presents and more over it's down right gorgeous. The game will do well, very well regardless of reviews. I'm enjoying it like I enjoy Rocket League, hop on every now and then to get my fix of pretty Star Wars pew pew actions.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Getting some pretty shitty lag on ps4 but I like the game. I liked the beta and this is more of that. I wish the Jakku maps (that are free) would have launched with this, it would've made it feel more complete. That said, 13 maps to start isn't bad, it's just that the really big maps only make up 4 of those 13. Still, it's simply fun to play and pretty straight forward but nails the Star Wars aspect of things.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I played the beta with some friends for a good chunk of time and I still want more. If we all weren't buying it with the aim of playing together, I'd likely give it a miss - multiplayer shooters haven't been my thing for a while. That said, I found the simplified nature of things (no ammo management, basic progression tree) to be super refreshing. It's a game I can see myself jumping in-and-out of for a long time to come.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.