Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 26, 2003

A massively multiplayer game set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars Galaxies shifted focus several times but never escaped the shadow of World of Warcraft. In December 2011, the game was shut down in preparation for the launch of BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic.

A Massive BioWare Logo Approaches! Star Wars: Galaxies Shutting Down

• 197 results
    Binny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Binny

Rest in peace SWG. You were fun before the combat revamp. I will never forget you!

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By DeadDorf

Man, I played way too much SWG. Even while I was playing I knew it was terrible.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By cornbredx

I am not sad it's closing. I made my thoughts known about SWG back when I stopped playing, I posted a memorium on Gamespot about its pushing out of veterans at the time.

My feelings remain unchanged, and at this point it makes sense to let it go completely-honestly its long overdue.

I spent the better part of 5 years playing SWG, through every single change that was made to it. I made many friends, ran a successful guild, and found MMOs to be a great form of entertainment. I got married and divorced over the course of time I was playing it, went to wars, suffered from PTSD, and many other things. The friends I made in SWG are how I got through it for a part, and so I will always remember that community fondly. It was my first MMO- oh so long ago, and I hope when ToRO comes out i'lI find interest that surpasses my original.

I look forward to the future.

Oh, and I hope Giantbomb does a crazy live stream or week long thing or whatever like they did with MxO. And hopefully they archive it in case I miss anything =P I may reinstall SWG one last time, although I already said goodbye to it a long time ago.

Avatar image for cletusthefoetus
    CletusTheFoetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By CletusTheFoetus

Pre CU for the wi....oh we're not doing that one anymore are we.

Honestly though, I went back with this 45 day free thing and it was a sad, empty sarlacc pit, excuse of a game. I haven't played since '06 but, like a lot of mmos', the fun was with the people not the game (or lack of in most cases).

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Dany

@Laketown said:

not like this

I loved that, at the shutdown of hte matrix online, everyone....EVERYONE in the chat said that, it was perfect

autobzooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By autobzooty

@NeverDave said:

@autobzooty said:

SWG has its share of issues, but at least it's set in the part of Star Wars that was actually good. You tell me you've made an MMO based on the prequel trilogy and you've already failed in my eyes.

Old Republic isn't in the prequel trilogy either…

My point is that they're making Star Wars content based on parts of Star Wars that there is very little love for. I know it's set thousands of years before the prequel trilogy, but Bioware forging their own little niche in Star Wars history that's so far away from anything I can recognize as canon isn't exactly a good way to make me go "Fuck yeah, I love Star Wars," is it?

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By risseless

@Laketown said:

not like this

I lol'd.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By CL60
    @autobzooty said:

@NeverDave said:

@autobzooty said:

SWG has its share of issues, but at least it's set in the part of Star Wars that was actually good. You tell me you've made an MMO based on the prequel trilogy and you've already failed in my eyes.

My point is that they're making Star Wars content based on parts of Star Wars that there is very little love for. I know it's set thousands of years before the prequel trilogy, but Bioware forging their own little niche in Star Wars history that's so far away from anything I can recognize as canon isn't exactly a good way to make me go "Fuck yeah, I love Star Wars," is it?

This Canon has been around and loved by many since 2003.
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By dragonzord

come on not like this p2. someone get pasqual on the line

Scooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Scooter

@UlquioKani said:

cant wait

Bart Scott's lawyer shall be speaking with you soon.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By JCTango

I was wondering when this day would come.

Pre-CU SWG + CU SWG were some pretty fun times.  Here's to the memories.

At least there's always SWGEmu to go back to if I feel a bit nostalgic.

autobzooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By autobzooty

@CL60 said:

@autobzooty said:

@NeverDave said:

@autobzooty said:

I guess maybe I should play kotor before I decide not to give a shit about TOR, but at a certain point I feel like Bioware has just moved themselves so far away from the things I love about Star Wars that it just doesn't even feel like Star Wars to me. Seeing lightsabers and dudes with tentacle hair isn't enough for me.

chadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By chadster

Paging TonkaTruck!

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By wadtomaton

hopefully the online card game lives on (the only part of galaxies I've touched in years lol)

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Dany

@autobzooty said:

@CL60 said:

@autobzooty said:

@NeverDave said:

@autobzooty said:

I guess maybe I should play kotor before I decide not to give a shit about TOR, but at a certain point I feel like Bioware has just moved themselves so far away from the things I love about Star Wars that it just doesn't even feel like Star Wars to me. Seeing lightsabers and dudes with tentacle hair isn't enough for me.

They are not the one that came up with the fiction. Star Wars essentially rebooted in 1999 and have birth to all this prequel stuff

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#66  Edited By demonbear
    @CornBREDX said:

I am not sad it's closing. I made my thoughts known about SWG back when I stopped playing, I posted a memorium on Gamespot about its pushing out of veterans at the time.

My feelings remain unchanged, and at this point it makes sense to let it go completely-honestly its long overdue.

I spent the better part of 5 years playing SWG, through every single change that was made to it. I made many friends, ran a successful guild, and found MMOs to be a great form of entertainment. I got married and divorced over the course of time I was playing it, went to wars, suffered from PTSD, and many other things. The friends I made in SWG are how I got through it for a part, and so I will always remember that community fondly. It was my first MMO- oh so long ago, and I hope when ToRO comes out i'lI find interest that surpasses my original.

I look forward to the future.

Oh, and I hope Giantbomb does a crazy live stream or week long thing or whatever like they did with MxO. And hopefully they archive it in case I miss anything =P I may reinstall SWG one last time, although I already said goodbye to it a long time ago.

Jesus christ man, sounds like you had a rough 5 year period then. Hope things are better now for you.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By coakroach

'Killing a world' new indie film about the death of MMORPGS [insert kickstart link here]

Nonentity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Nonentity

If you take a look at the 'Coming Soon' on the front page, you'll see that the GB End of the World has already been scheduled for this. No worries, my little friends!

allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By allenibrahim

Anybody know how long the free trial lasts? I wasn't able to make it for the end of MxO or the STO beta, and I want to know how long before the MMO shuts down I should make a trial. Pascual and TonkaTrunk shall return!

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By dragonzord
    taswell Ryan Davis
    Plans for the end of Star Wars Galaxies are already underway

taswell has spoken

KawaiiInbou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By KawaiiInbou

Endurance Run.

Protonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Protonguy

Never played this one but i knew some people who really enjoyed their time in it before the huge changes went through. Pity it never reached its intended glory.

Meanwhile my favourite mmorpg ever Asheron's Call is still chugging away. For how much longer i don't know.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sayishere

Im rather sad, even though i dont play the game anymore, i did it play it for many years. Its a shame, but not suprising, i might actually resub for the final month to give it a proper send off.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By Turambar
    @autobzooty said:

@NeverDave said:

@autobzooty said:

There is in fact a lot of love for the Old Republic time line, especially due to the KOTOR games.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By delta_ass
    @autobzooty said:

@NeverDave said:

@autobzooty said:

Actually, there's a lot of love for Knights of the Old Republic...
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#76  Edited By cornbredx

@demonbear: You never fully recover from PTSD and while it's mild now, and I have other issues because of it- ya for the most part I have coming out of that part of my life with a more positive attitude.

I dont want to be long winded anymore then I have been, though. Thanks for the reply to my comment, but ya I'm all good.

It's sort of a shame my real life was so messed up and that's why my ties to SWG are the way they are but honestly I had so much fun in SWG back when I played- the times I shared then with the friends I made in it- I wouldn't change that for anything. The real life stuff, ya I could do without but.... shit happens I guess haha

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ghost_cat

Not Like This: The Sequel.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#78  Edited By Kidavenger

A truly unique experience the first year that this game was out. Easily my favorite game for that time and never since have I gone from loving a game, to complete hate of it and everyone involved with it. Hopefully S.O.E. will disappear soon too.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By dvorak

All I know is that for the first couple years, there were some extremely obsessed and loving fans. Then everything went south when SOE tried to grab for more users, and they ended up shooting themselves in the foot.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#80  Edited By Deusoma
    @Turambar: Rather, entirely because of the KOTOR games, but you make a good point.
    frythefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By frythefly

Lightsaber OFF!

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By umdesch4

Yeah, that first year was awesome. I was glad though when they broke it with that Jump to Lightspeed update, 'cuz it gave me the incentive I needed to quit so I could have a social life again (and more importantly, play OTHER games I never found the time for). Haven't touched an MMORPG since, but I still have very fond memories of the time spent in that universe.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#83  Edited By project343
    @csoup said:

As much as I use to love SWG before the destroyed it with their retardation, I am glad to see it finally rest. What it turned into is an insult to what is what before, a niche MMO that catered ultimately to the social and adventurous.

/salute to the old SWG, not the new POS.

I second this entirely. Pre-CU (and obviously NGE) SWG remains to be my favourite MMORPG ever. As far as I'm concerned, this game was shut down many years ago.
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jace

SWG was already shut down. It was called the "Combat Update."

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Great! When is GB going to start making videos about it like they did with The Matrix Online? 

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By JCTango
    @Jace said:

I actually liked CU for the most part - it took a bit of getting used to when it came out - but once that period of working-in passed, I was having a blast.  Mind you, I was mostly into the Galactic Civil War - didn't touch much of the crafting aside from sabers (I know crafters took a huge hit in the CU).  

NGE, on the other hand, was a different story.  

SWG will always remain as a good example of what NOT to do to an MMO to other gaming companies out there.  You never "fix" what isn't broken.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#87  Edited By ReyGitano

@MooseyMcMan said:

Great! When is GB going to start making videos about it like they did with The Matrix Online?

If you look at the coming up on Giant Bomb on the front page... today at 4, Happy Hour

12/15 at 10AM, The End of Star Wars Galaxies. Guess we won't have any content between then and now. Guess I'll return to the site in December.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Sanious
    @SlashseveN303: Boohoo.
    ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ryno9881

Did not know this game existed.

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#90  Edited By GozerTC
    @Jace said:

ZING! :)  
    citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By citizenjp

Makes sense and is the only logical move for Galaxies! Out with the old...in with the new. ;)

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By FateOfNever

I would be tempted to play Galaxies to see the end of it...  buuuut I don't know if I care enough to drop the money on it (or if I'd even be able to if they did what the Matrix did), when I know Giant Bomb will probably cover its death.

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SpacePenguin

GB need to start making videos so we can see the death of this!

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By DougQuaid

Oh man.. it has come to it at last; the end of Star Wars Galaxies. 

I played for years and had a lot of good memories with that game. After recently going back to revisit the game, (free game time due to all the cyber attacks against Sony) it hasn't aged well at all. The NGE still completely sucks balls. 

If Not Like This Episode Two is going down, I've got a pretty decent house and a lot of credits to spend on virtual whores. Hit me up on Bria, duders!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @SlashseveN303: That's pretty funny. 
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@JCTango said:

Mind you, I was mostly into the Galactic Civil War - didn't touch much of the crafting aside from sabers (I know crafters took a huge hit in the CU).

Not sure why but that totally blew my mind.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#97  Edited By fox01313

Can we get a GB check to see if Ryan & others did put someone on staff in the SW Galaxies MMO to witness it's doom?

returnofjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98  Edited By returnofjake

@Laketown said:

not like this

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Norusdog

wow..no shit.  I thought that game would never close down

I mean it's been dead for awhile but still had some hardcore dedicated players..but still....figured it'd go for awhile.

odd SWG is shutting down while they keep Vanguard on life-support.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By raviolisumo

I might have to get back into this for the end. I was there at the beginning and until it went from kinda alright to really bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.