Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 26, 2003

A massively multiplayer game set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars Galaxies shifted focus several times but never escaped the shadow of World of Warcraft. In December 2011, the game was shut down in preparation for the launch of BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic.

A Massive BioWare Logo Approaches! Star Wars: Galaxies Shutting Down

• 197 results
    HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By HarrySound

MY first MMO experience, it blew me away and had me hooked for months, I almost made Jedi back before they made it easy. .....that was a long long chore of a quest line. 

Sad news , the skill tree system was amazing. 
    The combat was decent before the "upgrade" 
    the expanse of terrain was fantastic. 
    Riding Banthas was great. 
    Taming pets 
    oooo I used to love you StarWars, i've been to vist several times but you just lost what you once had. 

Never saw an AT-AT either :(

CzarTim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By CzarTim

This one hurts :(

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Subjugation

This game is still around?

jediautobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By jediautobot

I'm going to throw in another vote for a look at the ending of the MMO like the Matrix one we had.

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By wsowen02

Not like this!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Hold my hand! Hold my Goddamn hand, man!

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By mosdl

@csoup said:

As much as I use to love SWG before the destroyed it with their retardation, I am glad to see it finally rest. What it turned into is an insult to what is what before, a niche MMO that catered ultimately to the social and adventurous.

/salute to the old SWG, not the new POS.

/salutes as well. Though I bet they would have made it F2P if SWOTR wasn't coming.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#108  Edited By Floppypants

maybe I'll login to my collector's edition account that I played for a week. if I remember correctly, my character has super cool exclusive sunglasses.

GunsAreDrawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#109  Edited By GunsAreDrawn

This was my favorite MMO ever and nothing has ever help up to it for me. I started in 2004 and ended up becoming a Jedi just a few weeks after the Combat Upgrade, which i didn't know about because my pc died on me and I had no access to the internet and I think I had about 2 or 3 days before it switched over and I almost quit. 

One friend on SWG helped me realise that I should give the game a chance and I actually ended up enjoying it a lot more than the original, I just wish more people gave the game a chance aswell but i guess they had a right for having a 2 weeks heads up before they got the shaft. Though the combat was better the community suffered a lot and you could really feel that the population was considerably less than it was.

The New Game Experience started and i felt really annoyed like most jedi that they had been made into an average class and that a lot of the professions had been cut out, not to mention the game combat system was way too simple. The combat got a bit more strategic after a year of fixing things but time went on and the game just got so buff heavy and reliant on jewelery from dungeons that it just got to be too over the top.

I gave up 3 years ago but I went back 2 years ago in the summer and i logged on like once and never went back because it was dead. The developers didn't have any skills to make that game, I think they had a team of 4 or 5. Whoever made graphics for the game late on was awful at it and made objects and textures look really ugly and old and nothing like you would have ever seen in SWG. There are still a lot of bugs that haven't been fixed since this system was implemented. It seems like they had a different team for every combat system.

The best times I had were before the New Game Experience because a lot people i was friendly with stopped. The game just got worse and should have been shut down years ago, I hoped it would get shutdown but it seemed like it never would. Free name changes ruined the identity of people in the game and giving free server transfers ruined the little amount of community that was left who had been there for a long time. Though it seemed like most people who were there believed the game would grow or eventually have "pre cu" servers, but a lot of the people there are really full of themselves.

Maybe the game would have worked out if people had given it a chance or if the developers had gradually made changes to the game to make it become the Combat Upgrade.

feigr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By feigr

It's always sad to see an MMO get shut down, even when it's one I've never played like SWG. I hope all the SWG players will find ToR to their liking, or find some other MMO they find palatable.

Be well SWG players!

faunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By faunt

I want a Giantbomb video of the end. Holding hands on top of some building is absolutely necessary. 

Also, not like this.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#112  Edited By JCTango
    @GunsAreDrawn said: 

Though it seemed like most people who were there believed the game would grow or eventually have "pre cu" servers, but a lot of the people there are really full of themselves.  

Hey, I identify with most of what you said in your post - I enjoyed the CU as well.  NGE was complete crap.  

Just wanted to let you know that there is a pre-cu server out there for the SWGEmu project - most of it is complete - it's missing jtl and the new planets - also, some professions aren't completely done yet, but most are.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#113  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I can't wait for the eventual GB video series that comes of this, but everything I've heard about Star Wars Galaxies sounds so incredibly tragic. Self-inflicted wounds are often the nastiest, and much like The Matrix Online, it was the revamping of game mechanics and classes that fucked everything up and killed the fanbase. Apparently people still play it though. I wonder how many of them speak english.

Avatar image for natural_deadhead
    natural_deadhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@Morningstar said:

GB should do a piece on the galaxy-ending in-game event ^^

I agree. Have the Giantbomb crew say good bye to what used to be a good game in style!
    Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Reverseface

Great game before THAT PATCH which ruined everything, i have fond memories of SWG.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#116  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Not like this.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By JohnDudebro

I briefly played after the NGE launched. I was into it for a while, until I realized there was no customization in the character progression and it was funneling me down a completely straight path.

Maotou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#118  Edited By Maotou

I honestly forgot that SWG was still around. I had played the game around launch a long time ago and while it was a entertaining game, I had already invested plenty of time into other MMO's like COH. Curious as to how this last event will play out. Well here's hoping that TOR starts out with a strong start out of the gate. 

Avatar image for satelliteoflove
    SatelliteOfLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#119  Edited By SatelliteOfLove

Out of its misery you mean, if early players are any witness.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By AuthenticM

Not Like This Part Deux

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Dany

Ryan on twitter says they are already making plans for the end of galaxy. More hand holding in the sunset with pasqual coming!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#122  Edited By TheHT
    @Dany said:

Ryan on twitter says they are already making plans for the end of galaxy. More hand holding in the sunset with pasqual coming!

fuck yeahhhhh
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#123  Edited By Kyle

The only disappointment here is that I'll have to wait until December to get the End of Galaxies video series from Giant Bomb.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#124  Edited By Chris2KLee

@TheHT said:

@Dany said:

fuck yeahhhhh

Nice, almost makes me want to dig up my old login and join in on the madness. Still, to far off if you ask me. Just kill it now, for the GB community!

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#125  Edited By EnchantedEcho

We all know what this means, can't wait for another 'mmo is shutting down' series.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#126  Edited By Jedted

I'm seriously considering re-activating my account just to see this.  I'd probebly have to make a new character though, i can't imagine they kept all my stuff. 
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By FCKSNAP

NOT LIKE THIS! do it.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#128  Edited By Daveyo520

Matt get ready!

Device

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Device

Oh SOE, SOE you can't resist NOT screwing your own games, are ya? SWG was such a good game before you decided to reinvent it...

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#130  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Revenant86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Revenant86

Freddie mercury is the most manly homo i've ever seen

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Cornman89

Mark your calendars.

pochunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By pochunki

i recall a certain bombcast where the GB crew swore they would livestream the end of galaxies...

Destroyeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#134  Edited By Destroyeron

Didn't realize that still existed.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

You should just title news articles about MMOs shutting down as "Obituaries." It sounded like one at the end there haha.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#136  Edited By Radar

That game (at one point) was absolutely amazing. I'm surprised they didn't go with a F2P route before pulling the plug, but I'm sure everyone involved realizes it's a lost cause. 

I'll be there when the crew record the ending of Galaxies.

DjTonySnark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By DjTonySnark

I was a huge fan of this game when it first came out, and then the update came and ruined it. I still have fond memories from all those years ago, and I know some people are gonna be crushed when this finally gets the boot. There are a lot of great communities that stayed together mostly for each other, not the meh game.

Here's hoping The Old Republic lives up to the hype. I'm certainly waiting for it.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By selbie

Farewell MMO #39285. You will (not) be remembered.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By NathHaw

Can't wait for the Not Like This! for SWG. I remember it fondly...before it got all kinds of eff'd up.

nosnitsttam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By nosnitsttam

i remember when SWG was supposed to be THE star wars experience and then they just butchered it by leveling the playing field and letting all the noobs start as jedi. honestly i was shocked it was still running. 

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By GunnBjorn
    @Revenant86 said:
    Freddie mercury is the most manly homo i've ever seen

Freddie Mercury was bisexual.
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By TorMasturba

I got this when it first came out, I was in college and had little to no money to pay for a monthly subscription, but I still got it because I'm a fan of Star wars, I was a bigger fan back then though.

I set my sites on doing the things needed to become a full-fledged bounty hunter in the free first month that I got, and was doing pretty well before the month ran out. I remember having a blast as well.

For a long time I promised I'd pay for another few months when I could afford it. Then 2 years later I payed for another month now that I could afford it, and by that time the character level-up system had been completely changed and my characters experience and personal progression choices setup was completely deleted from existence. I was so pissed off that I'd basically wasted a month of my gaming life 2 years earlier because it had just been deleted.

Ah well, I look forward to the livestreams that GB put together at the end of days. I may even go and start up the old game so I can follow the GB crew around the game and harass them ha ha.

Hopefully, if there's a demo version of SW: TOR this time I can avoid investing too much time into this one if it turns out to be complete shit. But also hopefully with the Bioware seal of approval, which has been slightly marred recently due to enforded short production times of DA2, this new SW MMORPG will actually be good.

spudzdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By spudzdk

This gets my hopes up that SWTOR won´t be solely populated by dickish, all-about-me, ex-wowplayers with a macro to call people noob. I´m hoping (as is Lucasarts apparently) a couple of ex-swg players will jump on the wagon too.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

ya know at one point in time that game almost became truly great. i was lucky to have gotten into that game when it first came out and getting a chance to play that game a bit before the combat upgrade dropped and ruined everything. one of the few games that my brother and i played together...back before he became a hardcore alcoholic, i had alot of fun with how social that game was in comparison to other mmo's at the time. you really could become whatever you wanted in that game. before people talked about the crazy shit that goes down in EVE online, you had a game here where almost everything was player run. loyalty and friendships went a long way back then. so many good memories.

hopefully that can be recaptured in TOR

Ooame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Ooame

Giant Bomb you know what you need to do.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#146  Edited By xymox

They should consider going free to play - SWG is still a solid MMO for what it is, at least in my opinion, and compared to what's out there. But I understand why they'd only want one star wars mmo on the market. It'd be nice if they played around with SWG a bit more - keep it like a free to play variant, push the story forward to the next movie, etc. Except they don't have blizzard money to do a cataclysm like overhaul... 

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

@autobzooty said:

I guess maybe I should play kotor before I decide not to give a shit about TOR, but at a certain point I feel like Bioware has just moved themselves so far away from the things I love about Star Wars that it just doesn't even feel like Star Wars to me. Seeing lightsabers and dudes with tentacle hair isn't enough for me.

KOTOR is better than any Star Wars movie. I'm not saying TOR is going to be great, but an MMO set in in BioWare's Star Wars is far more appealing to me than an MMO set in any Movie Star Wars.

Besides, if you like Star Wars and video games and haven't played KOTOR, I really have to question how much you like Star Wars.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#148  Edited By Slaker117

Get your pink pajamas ready.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By lockwoodx

They won't even make the sunset events free2play. Way to go out classy Smedley, guess you're still butthurt over nobody liking your NGE idea.

Jeaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Jeaz

@Rufi91 said:

Incoming torrent of ToR hating without any facts or previous experiences... -sigh-

Incoming torrent of ToR loving without any facts or previous experiences... -sigh-

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.