Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 26, 2003

A massively multiplayer game set in the Star Wars universe, Star Wars Galaxies shifted focus several times but never escaped the shadow of World of Warcraft. In December 2011, the game was shut down in preparation for the launch of BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Watching a Galaxy Implode: Day Nine

troidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By troidy
    Woooo! More pointless memorabilia!

While I was working on the quest from my last blog, I reached level 14, and doing so popped a class quest for me, from Boba Fett of course. At this point, I’ve just accepted that any quest that is even remotely interesting is going to be given to you by a major character from the Star Wars universe, just to keep people somewhat interested in what they’re doing. HOLY SHIT Boba Fett gave me this quest to kill 10 rats, this must be extremely important.

The hell did you come from?

So anyway, Boba Fett has a bounty for me, and of course I have to jump through a ton of hoops to get to it. Go talk to a whole bunch of people, then go down in a cave and give some guy a flower (which, by the way, I had to physically drag onto the NPC to give it to him, because fuck automation), then find some other guy and give him some spice. While on my way to spice guy, I encountered a magnificent glitch where I was killing random mobs, and all of a sudden one of those Mos Eisley police officers that I mentioned in an earlier post pops out of nowhere, just spawns right on top of me, and does the search thing, walking off at the end, back towards Mos Eisley, which was a good 500ft away. Thankfully, when I got to spice guy, he FINALLY gave me the location of the target.

Right...over...there...
    Right...over...there...

That isn’t to say it became any easier from there. The game refused to tell me anything more than that the target was underground ‘somewhere’ inside a labyrinthine laboratory. I eventually found him, but I had a half dozen mobs trying to kill me by that point, and since there’s no way to run back to your corpse and resurrect, I spawned all the way back in Mos Eisley, with no real desire to run back.

I don't think you understand, Steve. EVERY movie location must be in there.

And again, just like so much of my time spent in this game, I had no idea what to do or where to go from where I was. I decided it might be a good idea to try and find a new ship that wasn’t complete shit in case there was something going in space during the finale. I did some actually poking around on the SWG wiki and found that I was supposed to get a TIE Fighter as part of joining the Imperial Navy, which I didn’t, and it mentioned going to Theed on Naboo to join the Imperial Navy, so I decided to head over there.

Guy should really just stop spawning in.

The first thing you notice in Theed is how broken the Galactic Civil War (the prelude to the endgame event) has made the game. Even though Theed is lore-wise a heavily Imperial city, but because of the GCW, which I hear from general chat (always a reliable source) is heavily biased towards the rebels, the Rebels control Theed. As a result, there are several spots in the city, one of which is just outside the starport, where a Rebel NPC will spawn and get killed immediately by Imperial NPCs that are still hanging around because they are required to be there for quests or something. Then there are spots in the city where the opposite is true, and Imp NPCs instantly die.

Totally the same as a TIE Fighter, right guys?

Then, on my way to where the Imperial Pilot Trainer was, I got stuck inside the ground, not able to move at all. The automatic unstick command didn’t work, and neither did restarting the game. I eventually had to climb into a landspeeder, fly around, and then climb back out. Of course, after going through that crap, it turns out that things changed with the introduction of the NGE, which the wiki apparently has not been updated since. Post-NGE, to put it simply, my terrible looking starter ship is what I get instead of getting a TIE Fighter. Yep, someone thought players would mind having a shitty looking ship no one has ever heard of before instead of a instantly recognizable cultural icon. Excellent job.

On a sort of related note, SOE has officially announced their server shutdown plans, which A) sound incredibly dull, and B) End way earlier than I expected.

• The Galactic Civil War will end and scoring will be frozen on Wednesday, December 14th, at 9:00 p.m. PST. At this time, all players will be notified who won and who lost.
  • Scheduled restarts will occur on the morning of Thursday, December 15th, and afterward various battles and events will begin. (These are optional, of course.)
  • The servers will close on December 15th at 9:00 p.m. PST (5:00 a.m. GMT).
    troidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By troidy

While I was working on the quest from my last blog, I reached level 14, and doing so popped a class quest for me, from Boba Fett of course. At this point, I’ve just accepted that any quest that is even remotely interesting is going to be given to you by a major character from the Star Wars universe, just to keep people somewhat interested in what they’re doing. HOLY SHIT Boba Fett gave me this quest to kill 10 rats, this must be extremely important.

So anyway, Boba Fett has a bounty for me, and of course I have to jump through a ton of hoops to get to it. Go talk to a whole bunch of people, then go down in a cave and give some guy a flower (which, by the way, I had to physically drag onto the NPC to give it to him, because fuck automation), then find some other guy and give him some spice. While on my way to spice guy, I encountered a magnificent glitch where I was killing random mobs, and all of a sudden one of those Mos Eisley police officers that I mentioned in an earlier post pops out of nowhere, just spawns right on top of me, and does the search thing, walking off at the end, back towards Mos Eisley, which was a good 500ft away. Thankfully, when I got to spice guy, he FINALLY gave me the location of the target.

Right...over...there...
    Right...over...there...

That isn’t to say it became any easier from there. The game refused to tell me anything more than that the target was underground ‘somewhere’ inside a labyrinthine laboratory. I eventually found him, but I had a half dozen mobs trying to kill me by that point, and since there’s no way to run back to your corpse and resurrect, I spawned all the way back in Mos Eisley, with no real desire to run back.

And again, just like so much of my time spent in this game, I had no idea what to do or where to go from where I was. I decided it might be a good idea to try and find a new ship that wasn’t complete shit in case there was something going in space during the finale. I did some actually poking around on the SWG wiki and found that I was supposed to get a TIE Fighter as part of joining the Imperial Navy, which I didn’t, and it mentioned going to Theed on Naboo to join the Imperial Navy, so I decided to head over there.

The first thing you notice in Theed is how broken the Galactic Civil War (the prelude to the endgame event) has made the game. Even though Theed is lore-wise a heavily Imperial city, but because of the GCW, which I hear from general chat (always a reliable source) is heavily biased towards the rebels, the Rebels control Theed. As a result, there are several spots in the city, one of which is just outside the starport, where a Rebel NPC will spawn and get killed immediately by Imperial NPCs that are still hanging around because they are required to be there for quests or something. Then there are spots in the city where the opposite is true, and Imp NPCs instantly die.

Then, on my way to where the Imperial Pilot Trainer was, I got stuck inside the ground, not able to move at all. The automatic unstick command didn’t work, and neither did restarting the game. I eventually had to climb into a landspeeder, fly around, and then climb back out. Of course, after going through that crap, it turns out that things changed with the introduction of the NGE, which the wiki apparently has not been updated since. Post-NGE, to put it simply, my terrible looking starter ship is what I get instead of getting a TIE Fighter. Yep, someone thought players would mind having a shitty looking ship no one has ever heard of before instead of a instantly recognizable cultural icon. Excellent job.

On a sort of related note, SOE has officially announced their server shutdown plans, which A) sound incredibly dull, and B) End way earlier than I expected.

• The Galactic Civil War will end and scoring will be frozen on Wednesday, December 14th, at 9:00 p.m. PST. At this time, all players will be notified who won and who lost.
  • Scheduled restarts will occur on the morning of Thursday, December 15th, and afterward various battles and events will begin. (These are optional, of course.)
  • The servers will close on December 15th at 9:00 p.m. PST (5:00 a.m. GMT).
  • This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.