Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 15, 2019

An action-adventure game in the Star Wars series from the studio behind the Titanfall series, following a Jedi Padawan who turns fugitive after escaping the Jedi Purge.

Does Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Look Better Than 1313?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Does Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Look Better Than 1313? (56 votes)

Yes 39%
    No 9%
    About equal in the looks department. 32%
    Parts of it 4%
    Poll 16%

Hey, I haven't played Fallen Order but I know a lot of you have. I was wondering, from your experience and not from trailers and promotional materials, would you say it looked better than 1313?

Here is the trailer for 1313 as a reminder/reference:

• 
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Better how? Graphically? As a game?

I think it's hard to tell from just a trailer because like most games Fallen Order looks better in some places than others. Obviously with a trailer you just show off the best looking parts, and here they are using a camera that you could not possibly play with. for the vast majority of the trailer.

I would say that Fallen Order looks on par with 1313 in terms of graphics, especially in the opening area where you're parkouring around a junk planet and before you get into the open world segments. There are definitely areas where it looks worse but again you're comparing a trailer to a full game. Trailers show the very best looking parts while full games are naturally going to have less impressive areas.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from the Wookiees, it’s a fantastic looking game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I dunno because 1313 never came out. That one video you link is the only thing they ever put out, and knowing the industry who knows how much of that is you know, like realistic gameplay as opposed to really beefed up yet ultimately unattainable fidelity for the sake of a good looking sizzle reel demo.

Fallen Order has some really beautiful backdrops for levels but sometimes suffers from things up close looking a bit grungy - Dathomir is probably the most boring of all the planets. Overall it's still a good looking game. A lot better looking than a game that doesn't actually exist.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can ppl not respond just regular anymore? What the fuck is up with couple of these attitude filled responses. It's like the most inoffensive softball question and you just had to find a way to be shitty about it. You 2 always find the need to talk down to ppl and it's really tiresome.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@liquiddragon: If you mean me then I dunno really what you mean. I wasn't trying to talk you down or anything. 1313 never came out, there is one video for it which is probably almost entirely faked, which is why I pre-empted what I said with what I did. How can anyone judge which game looked better given these cirumstances? If you want a real softball answer then yah, the 1313 video looks better. The original trailer for the Witcher 3 also looks better than the actual game as do the pre-release videos for Dark Souls 2 and a ton of other games that had tweaked videos.

Also I never intentionally talk down to anyone on this site and in fact go to great pains to always pre-empty everything with "in my opinion" "might not be for everyone" to a fault. I have no idea how to be less confrontational and soft about discussing something at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There's a moment during the posted trailer's main action sequence (check around the 3:34 mark) in which the player watches part of the hull paneling vanish from existence without a complete animation.

Based strictly on that alone I'd say 1313 and Fallen Order are pretty similar.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

@humanity: It's just the Killzone 2 trailer vs. the actual game situation. Of course 1313 isn't "real" but it represented what might be possible with then, next-gen consoles. It's possible to compare the "cutscene" portions with the cutscenes in Fallen Order and judge the face renderings, animation quality, object and environmental details of 1313 to the quality of the "real" stuff now in FO. It's possible to judge the "gameplay" parts of 1313 to the actual gameplay bits of Fallen Order and see where we still fall short even today. When you start a response with "I dunno because 1313 never came out" how do you not see it might come across as kind of shitty. Why do you even respond if you don't know? Don't tell me you're not talking down to ppl when every response is a little dig.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By csl316

Fallen Order looks better, though I'd like to see the 1313 source file without Youtube's 2013 compression quality. Kind of fun to revisit this trailer after so long. What was once kind of incredible feels pretty standard now, and this demo is fairly small scale in hindsight. Strange thing about Fallen Order is that its big set pieces can recreate this sort of thing, but I didn't even bat an eye. The gritty tone was also not the norm for Star Wars back then (aside from maybe Republic Commando), but it would slot right into some of the current stuff like Rogue One.

Side note: Honestly, I hope the next generation has more linear games. Tighter experiences with some memorable set pieces. I'm tired of giant open worlds and would love more stuff like this. 1313 got some criticism for looking like Uncharted, but I'm ready for more of that style of design (well, not UC 4 because it was twice as long as it should have been).

And OP, chill man, no one in this thread is trying to be a jerk.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having played Fallen Order and come away pretty unimpressed, I'd like to give 1313 a crack. I'm not sure that there's enough of an idea beyond "Gears but Star Wars" to sustain an entire game, but it also doesn't involve Jedi, which as far as the franchise is concerned is taking a major risk.

And just personally, I'd dig a fast paced, blaster focused game. I always enjoyed the shooting parts of the movies more than the lightsaber parts anyway.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Sorry, but your question doesn't make much sense.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I just finished the game over the past weekend. From what I remember of 1313, I'd say they were both on par with each other for the most part.

Graphically, I thought Fallen Order looked pretty good. The only thing that really stood out as looking "bad" would be the Wookies. Something about them just looked off. I've been trying to figure out what it is in particular, but having trouble with that aspect.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

In a year with DMCV, Death Stranding, Control and RE2, I wasn't very impressed with it outside of the intro. The faces in particular look kinda bad compared to the other games I listed. I can't say whether or not it looks better or worse, but it's certainly not very impressive considering how long ago 1313 was suppose to release.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I mean Jedi: Fallen Order actually exists, so it has that going for it.

1313 trailer came out around the time of peak BS trailers of gameplay (remember Watch_Dogs, The Division and The Witcher 3 - which still was a good looking but was not what the trailer showed)

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't watched that trailer since it came out. I remember thinking "No way this is real. This looks too good". Looking at it now it looks like an average PS4 game. So does Fallen Order though, so I guess they look the same.

I really really wanted to play 1313 though. I get excited when there's Star Wars stuff that isn't about Jedi. But they always find a way to cancel it or make it about Jedi.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If you mean from gameplay trailers released by marketing teams for very specific sequences and fine tuned machines that are full of postprocessing that is not available when you play the game in your house, they look on par... The same way Aliens Colonial Marines and Killzone 2 looked on par with games like Titanfall 2. Early trailers are not gameplay, and are so doctored that they might not even been done on engine, so it is fairer to compare it with Star Wars Rebels than Fallen Order.

If you mean in actual gameplay, I would say Fallen Order looks a lot better, since I never saw gameplay of 1313.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably the exact same engine right? Probably some of the same assets too?

As far as gameplay it's Darksouls in space vs Uncharted in space. I like both of those type of games so I don't know.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

1313 looked like cover based shooter while Jedi is more explorative with it's gameplay. The design space of a Soul-like derivative is more open and exploratory right now and Jedi is somewhat unique in that space.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@humanity: It's just the Killzone 2 trailer vs. the actual game situation. Of course 1313 isn't "real" but it represented what might be possible with then, next-gen consoles. It's possible to compare the "cutscene" portions with the cutscenes in Fallen Order and judge the face renderings, animation quality, object and environmental details of 1313 to the quality of the "real" stuff now in FO. It's possible to judge the "gameplay" parts of 1313 to the actual gameplay bits of Fallen Order and see where we still fall short even today. When you start a response with "I dunno because 1313 never came out" how do you not see it might come across as kind of shitty. Why do you even respond if you don't know? Don't tell me you're not talking down to ppl when every response is a little dig.

This is a puzzling reaction. All they did was give context and reason for their opinions. I saw nothing condescending or "shitty" about them.

That aside, it was cool watching this trailer again. It was like a sense of closure after desperately wanting a new single player Star Wars game and being super excited about the upcoming console generation at the time. I think Fallen Order's characters and environments look much better. After playing it, and revisiting this trailer, I find it much easier to let go. Although, it would have been cool to see a massive city like Coruscant.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb said:
    @liquiddragon said:

This is a puzzling reaction. All they did was give context and reason for their opinions. I saw nothing condescending or "shitty" about them.

That aside, it was cool watching this trailer again. It was like a sense of closure after desperately wanting a new single player Star Wars game and being super excited about the upcoming console generation at the time. I think Fallen Order's characters and environments look much better. After playing it, and revisiting this trailer, I find it much easier to let go. Although, it would have been cool to see a massive city like Coruscant.

It's possible I misinterpreted @humanity's intention and tone. Sry, if I did. Also, I should've been more clear about what I was asking. Wanted to know what ppl thought about the graphics of an end-of-gen AAA title compared to a target render of then, next-gen visuals. Imo, it's fairly comparable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.