Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 06, 2004

With the Jedi nearly extinct, the galaxy is on the verge of falling into complete anarchy. As an exiled Jedi Knight regaining the Force, you must choose your path: help restore the Jedi Order, or embrace the dark side.

KOTOR II Update Brings game to Mac and Linux, Adds Steam Workshop Support

• 183 results
    BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I played Kotor briefly at release, pretty much finished it last year but I never saw Kotor 2...but now...dun dunnn.

dvdwalker8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Didn't enjoy the sequel as much as the first one. If they HD updated KOTOR for XBOX One, I would totally buy it and play it again.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By aktivity

@dancinginfernal said:
    @bananasfoster said:
    @president_barackbar said:

I'm really shocked at the amount of people that seem to think KOTOR II is better than the original. It was definitely trying to be more ambitious and have a darker story, but I wouldn't go so far as to say its actually a "good" video game. Its possible that the only reason I feel this way is I only ever played the Xbox version and maybe the restored content mod makes it way better. Difficult to say.

I think people give it points JUST because it's trying to be "Dark" or "grey". I think that's silly, personally. It reminds me of my friends in high school whom I couldn't get to go to movies with me if they weren't rated R.

I think you're full of it. The game gets the credit it does for the exceptional writing and incredible characters, as well as the implementation of the cause and effect of the light/dark side. It simply takes away the fantastic elements of the Force and the Jedi/Sith dichotomy and presents them in a somewhat more realistic sense, exploring thoroughly the concept of causality and just how much your actions have consequences, even if they aren't physically evident.

I guess I gotta replay KoTOR 2, because I really don't remember that. Generally I put KoTOR 1 on the higher pedestal because the twist stuck with me, whereas I can barely remember anything from the sequel except for being pissed at the ending. In neither games do I remember finding the light/dark decisions to be interesting. I guess they tried making it more interesting with Kreia commenting on the impact of your decision with the beggar on Nar Shadaa, but I can't remember that being a common thing throughout the game.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Kreia is my favourite character in a video game ever and with the restoration mod applied, KOTOR 2 became one of the best star wars games ever. High five Austin.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I played a fairly big chunk of the first one and lots of the MMO but never did play the second game despite owning it, fixing my pc up at the moment but i can totally see myself booting this up at some point (after i complete the first one though).

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#156  Edited By davidh219

KOTOR and KOTOR II are some of my favorite and most replayed games of all time. I typically don't play through games a second time, but I've played both of these at least five times, maybe more. These games are sharing hallowed ground with the likes of the first Dark Souls, PoP: Sands of Time, and Ocarina with that play count.

I've always, always preferred KOTOR II to the first game. KOTOR is just so typical of a Star Wars story, even if it does blow all six movies out of the water with better execution across the board. Other than the Revan twist, which I personally saw coming a mile away, it's mostly a rollicking adventure story in that same tone. Easy to understand, easy to like, but also easy to dismiss since it doesn't challenge you to think very much.

KOTOR II is something special in that regard, and I love stories that make me think more than sex. I also finish far more books than video games, so I'm the type that's very likely to forgive problems with gameplay and bugs in favor of a rocking story, and KOTOR II's story rocks my goddamn socks so far off they're floating around in space right now. I can count the number of games I've played with truly great stories (according to my pretentious, book-loving high standards) on one hand, probably, and KOTOR II is most definitely on that hand. I'm fairly certain KOTOR 1 isn't.

Danmmit, Austin. I don't have the time to play through two 30-hour RPGs right now, but I don't feel like I have a choice.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I really liked this game back when, but it has been a long time since then.

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Icaria

Still haven't finished KOTOR2. The game was so buggy it made me long for the polish of a Bethesda game. After twice losing hours of progress due to broken scripting that slowly snowballed in to an unfinishable mess and constantly running back and forth in dungeons to retrieve NPC companions that got stuck on every bit of geometry, I gave up on the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hassun said:

If anyone is interested in playing KotORII today then get that The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod (tslrcm) right away and jump in!

This is the only bit I don't get. Their wording makes it sound as though they've incorporated the mod, so downloading it separately wouldn't be necessary, but it isn't clear enough.

I'd actually buy this if that's the case.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#162  Edited By hassun

@geteveryone: As far as I can tell it's not incorporated automatically but because of Steam Workshop support it is no incredibly easy to add it to the game.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@hassun: A couple of clicks in Steam Workshop does it.

Too bad I'm getting sound bugs that never surfaced for me in the pre-patched game.

Avatar image for snideinsinuations
    SnideInsinuations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if the restored content mod people have done anything to fix/make skippable that near-impossible combat section towards the end of the game - the HK factory, I think? I played through the game with the mod installed once and just reached that point and literally could not progress any further. It's a real bummer and something people don't talk about enough with the mod, but if there's a fix for that I'd love to replay the game now. As Austin says, it's definitely the most interesting interpretation/deconstruction of the Star Wars mythos I've seen.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Awesome! The old Steam version was totally busted.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: A couple of clicks in Steam Workshop does it.

Too bad I'm getting sound bugs that never surfaced for me in the pre-patched game.

Which OS are you playing on? It was fine for me in Windows, but on Linux I get a persistent annoying hum in the prologue.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@frytup: W8.1

Same as you, an annoying background hum. Disappears when you reload a save but soon comes back - Others are reporting the same thing.

Only noticed it since the new patch.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#169  Edited By Nasar7

I never finished KOTOR II because it seemed too similar to the first one. Maybe I'll finally play it now.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Picked this up on Steam some time ago. I suppose now is the best time to actually play it.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked this game back when, but it has been a long time since then.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

I've just got to Telos. I'm loving this update. Thanks for the article Austin

Acornactivist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Has anyone tried this on a Mac? I have KOTOR I, but it runs fairly poorly on my 2013 Macbook Pro. It plays, but just doesn't seem optimized (why would it be?). The specs for KOTOR II are well below what I have, but I'm just extra cautious about games I play because this is the computer I use for work as well.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#173  Edited By MadBootsy

Gah, they should totally do this for KOTOR I. I would be so stoked about that...!!!

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By utternyms

Gnashgnashgnash I hate your favorite game because it is stupid! Growlgrowlgrowl You're wrong about your favorite game because I didn't like it!

I played Knights of the Old Republic I and II around the age of fifteen. The first one was my favorite game until I finished the second, which even more than the original, floored me, not only for the better story--which really was too complex for me to get at the time, though I still loved it--but also for the enhanced gameplay (and that's a harsh reduction of why I love the game so much, but I'm going to make you read an essay on why KotOR II's so great).

Because it impacted me so deeply in the golden years of my gaming life, I still look back on the game with intense fondness. And that's why it's totally cool for me to call it one of my favorite games, even if it's brutally flawed.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I want to know is, if you can avoid/turn down/kill Disciple? As someone who usually plays as a lady in games of this type, that character bugged the hell out of me.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:
    @batmanbatman said:

Never played a KOTOR game. Maybe I'll consider giving it a try... Is it crazy to play 2 and skip the first?

Yes it's crazy. You wanna know why bad things happen to good people? Why it rains on people's wedding days and why some puppiies get put up for adoption but never find owners? Do you wonder why the black death could have struck down so many innocent people in Europe 500 years ago? Or why Trump is actually a popular candidate right now for the office of US president?

It's because people choose KOTOR 2 without giving Kotor 1 a chance, its because they play both and say that the first is nonsense and a waste of time because chris avellone and obsidian didn't get their grubby hands on it. Because they refuse to accept that without KOTOR 1 as a solid base no amount of Obsidian story talent could have made such a great game.

Both are awesome games, I personally like the first 1 more but KOTOR 2 has plenty going for it as well. Try them both!!! You don't have to play them in order but I really think KOTOR 1 is a good first step. You'll be better able to understand what the sequel does right or wrong based on that first game. On PC they're like 5 bucks each in sale and they're 30 hour games on even a straightforward playthrough.

So do yourself a favor and give games a chance, if not for me, do it for the puppies.

Ok. I'll play them both. But if by then I don't get answers for all those things you mentioned, I'll be back, and I'll be pretty mad at you.

PS - I'll bring the puppies with me!!

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#177  Edited By mackgyver

Never played a KOTOR game. Maybe I'll consider giving it a try... Is it crazy to play 2 and skip the first?

Play the first one, and maybe skip the second one. You'll thank me later.

unluckywizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't even play it. Plays the intro movies then auto alt-tabs and can't get back in. If do get back in, damn mouse or keyboard won't work. Even with the restored content mod -_-

Count_Ursus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Count_Ursus

I played KOTOR but not KOTOR II. Does anyone know if the restored content mod does anything to the new updated version? I want to buy this but I'm not sure if I should mod it or if that's perhaps not necessary.

devilmikey00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. Kotor 2 is a superior sequel...but only with the restored content mod. Glad to see a nice easy steam integrated way of applying this mod. Honestly the modding scene for this game has kind of died in the last few years since the RCM basically came to a close back in 2012. Maybe this will give it the shot in the arm it needed. Would love to see a new wave of new mods.

Seriously awesome. Amazing that the devs did this after nearly a decade.

skuupin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've never played KOTOR, only KOTOR2. I've tried but my current PC placement really doesn't allow for long RPGs or the like. I've always wanted to though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6256d396c4133
    deactivated-6256d396c4133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Put about 15 hours in to this in the past two days. I have one more day off before my rotation starts again so I'm gonna crank out as much as possible. Kotor is dope.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only complaint is that I am having some weird issues with controller support. Camera constantly making circles, some buttons mapped differently then what is displayed, and etc.

I've just decided to go M&KB. Excited to become one evil mothertrucker.

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ballsleon: I guess the game's trying to tell you.............DON'T PLAY WITH CONTROLLERS!!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! #PCMASTERRAAAAAAAACE

I hope it works for you at some point. I'm also interested in using a controller; it's a long game, so sometimes I just wanna sit back and relax while I saunter through a poison gas-filled nightclub.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By thesquarepear

Great!

Maybe I can finally experience the Telos part of the campaign in full.

In the CD version without the restoration mod I missed out on a companion and with the mod I couldn't get past a cutscene that crashed the game.

Edit: KOTOR 1 has already been rereleased on iOS/Android in response to the other commentors

Wagrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I'm working sick from home today, so maybe it's the my foggy head talking here, but I am suddenly compelled to say this unequivocally, in no uncertain terms, once and for all: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords is my favorite video game."

You are a wonderful man Austin Walker.

It's great to see that this update calls attention to the restored content mod. It's an amazing piece of work that does so much for the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.