Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 15, 2003

Taking place in the Old Republic era of Star Wars, around 4000 years before the events of the films, Knights of the Old Republic is a third-person turn-based RPG where players travel the galaxy as a mysterious Republic soldier, racing against time to thwart a massive Sith fleet.

Is this fixable?

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Noodlearms

I'm on the part in Kashyyyk right after you take down Chuundar and talk to the green tentacle dude who gives you a datapad. Whenever I go through the door to the Landing Port after I go through The Great Walkway, the screen loads the area up and then turns grey. The weird thing is, the game still has sound for the Landing Port and a tiny, tiny bar of the actual game that isn't grey is visible at the top of the screen. Is this "grey screen glitch" thing common with Kotor, or do I have a messed up disc? I'm just starting to really enjoy this game, and I can't find any retailers nearby who carry it.

Thanks in advance.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Noodlearms

Bump. 
    I needs me some help.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dtat

KOTOR has a LOT of technical problems. When I first played it, I couldn't get off of Dantooine without the game crashing. I couldn't paly it until years later when I got a new computer. It's really a crapshoot with this game as far as I can tell. You might want to buy it on Steam instead. They might have patches that would help with those kinds of problems. I'm no pc game expert.
    Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Noodlearms
    @Dtat said:
    " KOTOR has a LOT of technical problems. When I first played it, I couldn't get off of Dantooine without the game crashing. I couldn't paly it until years later when I got a new computer. It's really a crapshoot with this game as far as I can tell. You might want to buy it on Steam instead. They might have patches that would help with those kinds of problems. I'm no pc game expert. "
    Oh yeah, I guess I should've mentioned I was on the Xbox version. I figured I was boned anyway. Fourteen hours for nothing -_-
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Yeah, the game does have some major tech problems. There's even a certain point in the game that doesn't work with a bunch of nVidia graphics cards after a certain update. The developers said a long time ago they wouldn't fix it, so I can no longer replay the game. I'd check any official forums you can find on the game and look up known issues. There may be some sort of fix you can do.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Ryax

get it on pc

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ryax
    @Origina1Penguin:  he is on the xbox
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @Ryax: Yea, I see that now. I hadn't refreshed before he posted that.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ryax
    @Origina1Penguin: if that is the case then, how dare you? 
    dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By dtat
    @Noodlearms:
    Oh man, I'm sorry. That game is so good in so many ways. It seems to that all their (Bioware) recent games have serious technical problems. Mass Effect 2 glitched on me at least a dozen times on my Insanity run.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shirogane

I think it might be trying to load a cutscene or something and dieing? But yeah, point being something is glitchy. Not sure if there's much you can do about it.
    Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Noodlearms

Think I should order a new one and hope it works, or do you guys think my saves are messed up?

Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Do you have an earlier save? It's been awhile since I've played, but you can go back to your ship and change planets whenever you want, right? Try leaving and returning before accessing that area again. I wouldn't want you to spend more money for nothing.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Subjugation

It might just be that save that is messed up. Do you have any earlier saves that you can try? 

That's really a bummer duder. I've never had any technical problems with a Bioware game, and that's going back to Baldurs Gate days. Luck of the draw I guess. 

I have both KOTOR and KOTOR II on xbox and never had problems with them. And man do I love those games, especially the original KOTOR. Don't get discouraged, this is a really good game.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Noodlearms
    @Origina1Penguin: @weeman105:  

I have one older save that might work... 
    I'll try them in a bit and tell you guys how it works. 
    Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Noodlearms
    @Origina1Penguin said:
    " Do you have an earlier save? It's been awhile since I've played, but you can go back to your ship and change planets whenever you want, right? Try leaving and returning before accessing that area again. I wouldn't want you to spend more money for nothing. "

It worked! :) I loaded my latest save where I talked to the Twi'lek, ran back to the wookie village, returned the Hawk via the map, and now everything's working perfectly! 
    Thanks guys :)
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    @Noodlearms: Awesome. It's a really great game, so I hope you don't run into any more major issues. Have fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.