Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 15, 2003

Taking place in the Old Republic era of Star Wars, around 4000 years before the events of the films, Knights of the Old Republic is a third-person turn-based RPG where players travel the galaxy as a mysterious Republic soldier, racing against time to thwart a massive Sith fleet.

is this game too outdated?

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By RedSox8933

i never played this game, it was just one of those games that i missed and i want to play it. i can get it REALLY cheap, but i want to know if it is too outdated for me to start playing it now.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

Noooooo. This game is never outdated, it's my all time favorite game. It has a killer story and great gameplay. You should get it without hesitation. If you like Star Wars, are a fan of RPGs, or both you have to get this game.

You liked Mass Effect so you will probably like this. Mass Effect is pretty much the spiritual successor to KOTOR, even though they are in two different universes; the forumla for Mass Effect was based on KOTOR.

Get it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
    deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

actually i think its more advanced than most new games in terms of gameplay depth and its storytelling qualities.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By RedSox8933
    BiggerBomb said:
    "

Noooooo. This game is never outdated, it's my all time favorite game. It has a killer story and great gameplay. You should get it without hesitation. If you like Star Wars, are a fan of RPGs, or both you have to get this game.

You liked Mass Effect so you will probably like this. Mass Effect is pretty much the spiritual successor to KOTOR, even though they are in two different universes; the forumla for Mass Effect was based on KOTOR.

Get it.

"
    thanks man.
    Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Major

Kotor has aged rather well. Just don't play it on the 360... doesn't work well with BC.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suneku

The gameplay may feel a bit outdated, and glitchy if you're playing it on the 360. But it's still fun and the stories great. I just replayed it a few months ago on my 360.

legend_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By legend_cloud

I never played it but I think it could be quite addicting.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Major said:
    "Kotor has aged rather well. Just don't play it on the 360... doesn't work well with BC."

There are some bugs when running KOTOR on the 360; oddly enough these are not as bad in KOTOR II. But KOTOR is more than playable and well worth your time and money.

No problem, redsox.
    Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Justaddwater

I wouldnt be able to play it if I tried now, way too outdated for me, especially the combat.

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Major
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Major said:
    "Kotor has aged rather well. Just don't play it on the 360... doesn't work well with BC."

There are some bugs when running KOTOR on the 360; oddly enough these are not as bad in KOTOR II. But KOTOR is more than playable and well worth your time and money.

No problem, redsox."
    Ah ok. I played threw both recently and I couldn't remember which had the worse of the problems. One of them had terrible audio problems and made my ears bleed.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Major said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Major said:

No problem, redsox."
    Ah ok. I played threw both recently and I couldn't remember which had the worse of the problems. One of them had terrible audio problems and made my ears bleed."

If you mean the clicking, then that was KOTOR. What I find pretty funny is that there are MASSIVE spelling errors in the text in KOTOR II on the 360. Words get repeated and others are just blatantly spelled incorrectly. Still well worth the money. I stand firmly with that in mind.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By kush

I played the game when I first got my 360 in 2006...I loved it then and I still love it now. It holds up really well and it will always be attributed with the amazing fact that it made me think hopeful about Episodes 1-3 (after already seeing and hating them) and buying all of them :P

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

it isn't visually pleasing and the combat looks rather... crap TBH. but my oh my it is one awesome game with a gripping story, lots of customization, and just generally everything.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb

Kush said:

"I played the game when I first got my 360 in 2006...I loved it then and I still love it now. It holds up really well and it will always be attributed with the amazing fact that it made me think hopeful about Episodes 1-3 (after already seeing and hating them) and buying all of them :P"

The second trilogy isn't as bad as people say it is. Sure the dialogue is terrible, but aside from that I can't think of anything that the original trilogy did better.

The first trilogy is so revered because of the concepts it introduced and the special effects for its time. Go watch them again, though. The acting is pretty bad. Aside from Harrison Ford the rest of the cast is almost laughable. The action is also relatively boring.

Episodes 1-3 have fantastic special effects and the lightsaber battles are pretty damn epic, these movies also introduce a cast of some pretty badass characters. Mace Windu, Darth Maul, Count Duku, General Grevious, etc. Alright, Hayden Christiansen can't act. So what? Keanu Reeves is just as bad if not worse and The Matrix trilogy is seen by so many as revolutionary.

I saw Revenge of the Sith twice over the last couple of days and liked it a lot. Ewan McGregor did a great job and in the final scene he actually shows some talent that he hadn't shown in previous movies. I'm not saying these movies are oscar worthy, but to be honest I like them more than the originals.

There!

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Magnum
    BiggerBomb said:
    "

The second trilogy isn't as bad as people say it is. Sure the dialogue is terrible, but aside from that I can't think of anything that the original trilogy did better.

A movie consists of dialog to tell a story and pictures so the viewer can see the characters in action. So your theory is that half of that description of a movie is bad and there still good movies? I'd even argue that the pictures sucked because everything was CG and fake looking. Lets review then, Episodes I, II, III are a fake looking uninteractive video games but with a shitty story. Nice.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Lies
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Major said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Major said:

No problem, redsox."
    Ah ok. I played threw both recently and I couldn't remember which had the worse of the problems. One of them had terrible audio problems and made my ears bleed."

If you mean the clicking, then that was KOTOR. What I find pretty funny is that there are MASSIVE spelling errors in the text in KOTOR II on the 360. Words get repeated and others are just blatantly spelled incorrectly. Still well worth the money. I stand firmly with that in mind."
    There were PLENTY of bugs in KOTOR even on the original Xbox.

I would still recommend playing it though. Some portions are undeniably outdated (the graphics and the combat), but the story, characters, and gameplay are all still fantastic. Be sure to snag the downloadable space station if it's still available over LIVE. It adds one new quest, a new shop with some great gear, and two fantastic lightsaber crystals you can't get anywhere else.

Of course, by this point I imagine it has vanished into the ether, because Bioware probably took the server down, but it's worth checking to see if it's still there.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Magnum said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "

A movie consists of dialog to tell a story and pictures so the viewer can see the characters in action. So your theory is that half of that description of a movie is bad and there still good movies? I'd even argue that the pictures sucked because everything was CG and fake looking. Lets review then, Episodes I, II, III are a fake looking uninteractive video games but with a shitty story. Nice."

Agree to disagree.
    unworthyBOZO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By unworthyBOZO

No way its still a fantastic game

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Magnum
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Magnum said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "

A movie consists of dialog to tell a story and pictures so the viewer can see the characters in action. So your theory is that half of that description of a movie is bad and there still good movies? I'd even argue that the pictures sucked because everything was CG and fake looking. Lets review then, Episodes I, II, III are a fake looking uninteractive video games but with a shitty story. Nice."

Agree to disagree."
    word
    chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By chronicsmoke

hell no! its still a great game

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac

KOTOR is more fun to play than Mass Effect, BY FAR. Even though I've already beaten it, it's still more fun to play.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ATrevelan

The PC version still holds its ground today, I think. The graphics are more detailed than on Xbox, it's less prone to slowdown in large battles, and any mid-range PC today can play it perfectly (low ends need to turn down some bells and whistles but it'll work fine.)

Playing the Xbox version on the 360 is prone to some long load times, a few audio glitches (every 10 seconds or so if you're playing KOTOR 2 on 360), and I've had it hang up a couple times. So I switched to the PC version and I've had no problems at all. Fast loads, sharp audio (headphones are my method of choice), sharper looks, great overall package. One of the few games I consistently revisit.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By zoozilla
    ATrevelan said:
    "The PC version still holds its ground today, I think. The graphics are more detailed than on Xbox, it's less prone to slowdown in large battles, and any mid-range PC today can play it perfectly (low ends need to turn down some bells and whistles but it'll work fine.)

Playing the Xbox version on the 360 is prone to some long load times, a few audio glitches (every 10 seconds or so if you're playing KOTOR 2 on 360), and I've had it hang up a couple times. So I switched to the PC version and I've had no problems at all. Fast loads, sharp audio (headphones are my method of choice), sharper looks, great overall package. One of the few games I consistently revisit."
    Agree completely.  If you have a choice, make the right choice and get the PC version.  If your PC is less than 5 years old, you should be able to play it fine; while there are some compatibility issues that have never been addressed (I still don't get the frame rate I feel I should be getting, though it's still fairly smooth), most comps should be okay.

The PC also gives you access to mods, which is always a nice thing.  There are actually some pretty sweet mods for KotOR, if you dig around.  The game also feels very natural on the PC- as it should.
    Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kloreep

Yeah, PC is a good idea for KOTOR1. Even more so for the sequel, because the game was released in such an unpolished state that the upcoming Restoration mod will be a must-have when released.

SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By SaucySala

Definitely, go for the PC version. Higher res, better detail, better effects.

Need I say more?

Also, this is one of my all-time favorite games. GET IT!

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DualReaver

Defiantly not outdated, it's amazing, be sure to get the PC version for some neat mods.
    I love the one that lets you take Bastilla with you on that sith planet, she actually has a lot to say.

Avatar image for semicolon1twlev2
    semicolon1twlev2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By semicolon1twlev2
    Lies said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Major said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Major said:

No problem, redsox."

If you mean the clicking, then that was KOTOR. What I find pretty funny is that there are MASSIVE spelling errors in the text in KOTOR II on the 360. Words get repeated and others are just blatantly spelled incorrectly. Still well worth the money. I stand firmly with that in mind."
    There were PLENTY of bugs in KOTOR even on the original Xbox.

I would still recommend playing it though. Some portions are undeniably outdated (the graphics and the combat), but the story, characters, and gameplay are all still fantastic. Be sure to snag the downloadable space station if it's still available over LIVE. It adds one new quest, a new shop with some great gear, and two fantastic lightsaber crystals you can't get anywhere else.

Of course, by this point I imagine it has vanished into the ether, because Bioware probably took the server down, but it's worth checking to see if it's still there."
    I'm pretty sure it's still there.  I got it a few months ago.
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Otacon

I would play it, It's really good.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Burns09

Is it worth getting for the 360 if you don't already own it?

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bulldog19892

No way is it outdated. It still kicks ass, even today. That game is timeless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat may be a little outdated, but overall it's still a great game and holds up.

As to the person who doesn't like Star Wars but likes great games...probably not? I mean the game is great, but of course it's all centered around Star Wars and the universe around it. So if you don't like Star Wars you most likely won't like this game. If you just think Star Wars is okay though, you might enjoy it.

TheGreatFillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGreatFillip

I own both of them for the Xbox. Honestly it is probably going to be difficult to find an Xbox copy, and the PC one runs and looks better anyways. However, if you are thinking about playing them, do it. Kotor 1 is my favorite game rivaled only by the original Metal Gear Solid. I couldn't reccomend it enough.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Roger778

GET IT!
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ryax

stupid necromancer is stupid

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Voxatron

No way it's totally a piece of important gaming history.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By stinky

Kotor had the better good/evil system. 
    now in ME it's do you want to be an ass or a polite guy? 

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

play it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.