Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 15, 2003

Taking place in the Old Republic era of Star Wars, around 4000 years before the events of the films, Knights of the Old Republic is a third-person turn-based RPG where players travel the galaxy as a mysterious Republic soldier, racing against time to thwart a massive Sith fleet.

KOTOR 1 & 2 Gameplay Differences

mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mark2000

As you may all know, KOTOR 2's story suddenly made less sense by the last half of the game because of all the cut content. That's NOT what I'm asking about, however.

What I want to know is the gameplay differences between both games. I never played KOTOR 1 so I wouldn't really know and the fact that it's been ages since I played 2 doesn't help much to refresh my knowledge of all the gamplay features.

Could someone please tell me the Pros and Cons of each game in terms of gameplay? What are the' improvements' that KOTOR 2 brought to the mechanics and what are the other features that the first game is still better at?

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Lies

KOTOR II gave you an easy way to switch from ranged to melee weapons

KOTOR II had the party-influence system that was nonexistent in KOTOR

KOTOR II automatically told you if a container was empty or not

KOTOR II had the different Saber/Force styles which 1 didn't have

all I can pull off the top of my head. 2 improves over 1's gameplay in pretty much every way.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

They are the same thing... i don't remember any really profound difference between the two. 

The most there is different is that you have an additional slot for equipment in KOTOR 2. 

There isn't much else in gameplay. 

The only noticible differences between the two are the slightly updated graphics of the KOTOR 2 and the better overall story of the original KOTOR, though the second one has better dialogs. 

And in KOTOR 2 you have more romantic possibilities, if you're into that. 

Also there are very cool endings for the original KOTOR.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Im playing through KOTOR  again at the moment(it was on steam for only $10!) and that game is still awesome. You really see a lot of what influenced later bethesda titles in that game.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust
    @Lies said:
    " KOTOR II gave you an easy way to switch from ranged to melee weapons  KOTOR II had the party-influence system that was nonexistent in KOTOR  KOTOR II automatically told you if a container was empty or not  KOTOR II had the different Saber/Force styles which 1 didn't have  all I can pull off the top of my head. 2 improves over 1's gameplay in pretty much every way. "
    Or that... :p 

and if you force a lock in KOTOR 1 with you lightsaber the contents of the case never turn into scraps, unlike in KOTOR 2.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Systech

There aren't too many, but I think that Lies explained just about all the significant details. I actually ended up playing KOTOR 2 before 1 and when I finally got to playing the first one, it became my favorite game of all time.

mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mark2000
    @Lies said:
    " KOTOR II gave you an easy way to switch from ranged to melee weapons  KOTOR II had the party-influence system that was nonexistent in KOTOR  KOTOR II automatically told you if a container was empty or not  KOTOR II had the different Saber/Force styles which 1 didn't have  all I can pull off the top of my head. 2 improves over 1's gameplay in pretty much every way. "

huh. I guess KOTOR 2 was a pretty good improvement after all.

With that said, would you consider KOTOR 1's interface to be "clunky" when compared to 2?

@Jeust said:
    " @Lies said:
    Or that... :p  and if you force a lock in KOTOR 1 with you lightsaber the contents of the case never turn into scraps, unlike in KOTOR 2. "

Wow. If that's the case, is there even any reason to not ransack a place even without proper lock-picking skills?
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Also, in Kotor II there is a prestige Jedi class level up. It's sort of similar from the lv up from regular dude to Jedi in Kotor I. 
    About 1/6 of the game in Kotor I you don't have a lightsaber or force powers.

mark2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mark2000

So I've just spent a good couple of hours playing KOTOR 1. It's funny at how seeing the Ebon Hawk again kind of gave me a wierd 'reverse nostalgic' experience since I played the 2nd game before this one a long time ago. I gotta say though, I prefer the gameplay progression of this one more than Sith Lords or, to be more precise, the initial flow of it after starting a new game. I say this because all of the character classes and weapons are introduced to me a lot earlier in the story as compared to Sith Lords when you finally get your lightsaber almost halfway through the game. I hated that in Sith Lords because by the time I managed to get used to all the powers/skills progression stuff as a Jedi, the game was already over. It was almost like in Spider-man 3 movie where Venom (the character I was most looking forward to seeing) gets the least screen time throughout the entire film....and that was only on the last few minutes of it. Anyway, it's not really as good as Oblivion where you get a taste of all the character classes by the end of the 1st dungeon.....but at least it's still way better than Sith Lords.

As for the interface. It's......not very good. Especially the Action Menu. It gets very tedious trying to continuously buff myself during combat. Sure there's the Pause button but I don't really consider that as an excuse to give a clunky Action Menu. I seem to recall having the same problem with Sith Lords too. In fact, I'm actually starting to miss Mass Effect's Quick Slot System. Considering how both games were made by the same company, I'll just conclude that Mass Effect is an improvement over KOTOR in terms of Interface Design.

Overall though, the game is still ridiculously fun even if most of the technology present is severely outdated. I'm playing a DEX Guardian at the moment and it's really fun jolting around a room in my girly undies while slicing dudes to pieces due to the insane amounts of extra attack bonuses I have per round. By the way, the female underwear in this game is definitely sexier than the one they give you in KOTOR2. Although to be fair, KOTOR2 had the dancer outfit which is a shame because I still can't find any mods that will allow me to wear that in KOTOR1. I also love how Mass Effect and KOTOR encourage skill spamming rather than Attributes number-crunching for better combat efficiency but, like I said before, the interface in this game sucks so the fun factor is a bit hampered.

Anyways. Love the game. Looking forward to playing more of it.

P.S.

I'm I the only one who got severely annoyed at Bastila the second I met her? I swear I really hate that girl and just to add insult to injury, I HAD to keep her in my party because her advanced force powers were a big help when I still didn't have my own ones yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.