Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 15, 2003

Taking place in the Old Republic era of Star Wars, around 4000 years before the events of the films, Knights of the Old Republic is a third-person turn-based RPG where players travel the galaxy as a mysterious Republic soldier, racing against time to thwart a massive Sith fleet.

KOTOR > KOTOR2

Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Video_Tycoon

The beginning in KOTOR is funner than in the sequel.  Opinions?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

correct.

The original was done by bioware. The sequel by obsidian.

While they did a pretty reasonable job, i felt the game lacked that bioware touch.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By suneku

Loved KoTOR 1 way more then KoTOR 2... but I still enjoyed 2

orshick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By orshick

Yeah one was definitely superior. The beginning of Kotor 2 is actually one of the things that stood out as pretty weak, it's real boring to just wonder around that empty ship. The first game opened with a bang, and you had a whole big city to explore.

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PaperPlain

Other way around for me. A bit smoother in my opinion.

Churchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Churchy

Some of the tweaks in KOTOR2 were great, and I liked the backstories for the crew in KOTOR2 more.  But overall I agree KOTOR was the superior game.

orshick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By orshick

I'm sorry, I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but I just thought the story of 2 was boring and I hated hearing anything Krea had to say. It just seemed like empty mumbo jumbo about the force and how it flows within you, reiterated 100 times through.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb

I have more fond memories of KOTOR than of KOTOR 2. I think the original had a much better story, better missions, fantastic environments, and the shock-value of such a new and exciting game increases its greatness.

But I think the updates Obsidian made to the formula actually made KOTOR 2 a more fun game to play. The force powers, the prestige classes, the characters, more finely tuned combat, equipment, and characters brought back for nostalgic purposes made the game much more engaging than the original.

Though I still do think KOTOR is the best.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By guiseppe

I don't know, I like them both equally but for different reasons. In terms of gameplay, I feel the second game was the better. But the first one had a much better storyline, so it's a win win for both I guess.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By atejas

Peragus nearly ruined KOTOR 2 by itself for me.
    And they left quite a bit of the storyline un-fleshed out.
    Although you do have a far more interesting party in KOTOR 2.

Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kloreep

KOTOR2 does have a pretty sucky beginning. And a pretty sucky end. And yet, I still like it better. The story was far more interesting, filled with lots of little bright spots as you figure out what's really going on with your characters and with the galaxy. KOTOR1 felt like a very standard RPG, Let's Go Beat up the Bad Guys Hurrah, with one big bright spot in the middle (I'm sure you know what I mean ;)).

KOTOR1, the only people I liked to talk to in my party were Jolee, Canderous, and HK-47. KOTOR2, I liked talking to just about everyone in my party, and most of them had something interesting to reveal as the game went on - not just meet them, get them in the party, then bam, story done.
    I liked Kreia's character, too. That part is probably pretty essential to liking KOTOR2, so I can understand some of the anti-KOTOR2 sentiment here.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DualReaver

I prefered KOTOR.

HK-47> KOTOR II alone.

BigDo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By BigDo6

I personally loved the influence system from 2. So much so, that I enjoyed Kotor 2 more than Kotor 1.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#14  Edited By Soap

Kotor 1 was better in my opinion, had a better story and cast, kotor 2 was great though, especially as it was made on such a tight schedule.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AuthenticM

I like KotOR 2 better, and found its opening very cool. I liked the investigation at the beginning. It also had a better story. Kreya was one of the greatest character ever.

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Thunder

Personally i enjoyed both of them. They were great games in my opinion

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By breadfan

'KOTOR > KOTOR2'

You have chosen wisely

Avatar image for semicolon1twlev2
    semicolon1twlev2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By semicolon1twlev2

They're both such great games.  I love KotOR 2's immersion and extra customization, but I love KotOR 1's story and everything about it, really.

I hope they make another KotOR game.  And not a damn MMO...

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By spacetrucking

I have to disagree (with the majority of you apparently). KOTOR 1 was a great game, but KOTOR 2 has so much more replay value. My initial thought about KOTOR 2 was "...eh, decent". Then I played the game a second time and chose a different set of characters to play with and class and the whole game actually turned out pretty different. KOTOR 1 was still pretty linear with Bastilla and Carth being the dominating characters no matter what. Its the game strength and weakness at the same time IMO.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SSbabel

Both solid games great story and gameplay.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The second one shipped unfinished because Lucasarts wanted it out by Christmas. Shame too, because KOTOR 2 had immense potential. Even if done right, though, I think the first is the best.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By spacetrucking
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "The second one shipped unfinished because Lucasarts wanted it out by Christmas. Shame too, because KOTOR 2 had immense potential. Even if done right, though, I think the first is the best.
    "
    Yeah, KOTOR 2 could have been even more awesome than it is now. The only thing that ticked me off was some of the unfinished story arcs of your party members. I guess it does setup up interesting options for a KOTOR MMO though. I bet almost all the party members will end up being major players inside the KOTOR universe.

I'm curious what people think about a Star Wars MMOs though. The whole charm of the universe is lost on me if you have a billion Jedi running around. In WoW, you are not hyped up as a major player in the world....you are just one of the  many warriors and the game lets you know that you are not special. Age of Conan did it completely wrong by hyping you up too much, only to tell you 10 levels later that there are many other special ones running around with you. If there are a limited number of Jedi or a special way to become a Jedi, then I would be onboard but if anyone can roll a Jedi at any time, than the very concept of a Jedi becomes a joke.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Systech

They were both very good games, but the first one is by far my favorite. The variety of different planets, the awesome story, and characters are what made it click for me. However, Obsidian handled KOTOR II very well. If any other company besides BioWare made it, a disaster could have been spawned.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.